Removing paint from plastic?

I've recently bought a 1993 yz250 that got rattle canned blue and white. The tank and all the plastics were painted. Does anybody have tips on how to remove the paint without damaging the plastic? I'm afraid to try anything too strong, because I don't want it to eat through the tank mostly. I realize some of  these parts can be bought new, but this is a budget build. Thanks!

Soak in old stale gas , carb and brake cleaner , 

Brush brake fluid on it, let it sit overnight. rinse next day.

Edited by ickfinger

+2 for brake fluid.

Soak in old stale gas , carb and brake cleaner , 

No that's too easy, we need a more complicated fix for this.. lol

I would just go with brake cleaner.

Air craft stripper works great, it comes in a can from an auto parts store. Oven cleaner works as well I've heard and is cheaper.

I'm well aware those strip paint, but I'm concerned about ruining the plastic on the fuel tank especially.

Try the brake cleaner on the underside of a fender(small area) to see what happens. Then maybe try it on the inside of the tank where it fits around the frame and is hidden. 

I've been using mineral spirits to remove the paint from the frame, while leaving the factory paint. It has worked well so far, but mineral spirits didn't work well on the side panel I tried it on.

Edited by 97wr250

Here is the frame

1406475308591.jpg

Here is the frame

I salute you, it took a brave man to bring that thing home!

I salute you, it took a brave man to bring that thing home!

Looked like this last week. All of the painting was done with a rattle can, with the bike completely assembled. Needless to say it looks terrible. Price was right. I'm taking it back to stock purple with white plastics.

1406475768116.jpg

Well theres a good chance the plastic was etched by the paint anyway, but as long as you quickly rinse off your plastic after stripping the paint itll be fine. Theres a guy on here that has a project he restored the white plastics on using sandpaper and a heat gun. Project sandflea i think its called. Came out awesome. So if its scuffed that will work

If you have a pressure washer use that

:lol:  yea that came out wrong i meant one of those not them all . Although doin' this three step process then striking a match close by would take that paint off fairly quickly.  :smirk: 

I'm well aware those strip paint, but I'm concerned about ruining the plastic on the fuel tank especially.

I used to clean my plastics and graphics very ride with carb cleaner, never had problems

I used to clean my plastics and graphics very ride with carb cleaner, never had problems

some carb cleaners eat plastic.

Brake fluid as mentioned and it wont harm plastic,  media blast for the frame works great but since it's a budget gig go for aircraft grade stripper.

Oven cleaner works amazing for cleaning paint off of plastic. Remove the parts, place them on something to catch the old dripping paint, and spray them down. Rinse them off with cold water in the morning. Rust paints take more applications, but will come off. The oven cleaner will not harm, mark, or discolour the plastics in any way shape, or form. Try it. You will be amazed

Home Depot sells a citrus base stripper. Orange scent in an orange bottle.