Thoughts on 02 tm250 mx?

Ok guys and gals! I have an opportunity to purchase a very clean 02 but I'm unsure on it? Bike looks amazing with all the detail work put into it but what scares me is finding or getting parts in the USA? The bike will be used for mostly woods. I would be coming off a crf250r so I'm sure there will be a major power difference but I would need the tm to be able to perform good in the woods? Any thoughts as far as reliability/handling/part availability?

Here is the bike!

image.jpg

Given the current US TM situation, and the fact that is is now almost 13 years old, I wouldn't. Yeah it's nice and cool, but you would be better off with a Japanese 250 2 stroke IMO.

Thanks for the info! It seems to be hard to find parts already! Not like I can go to the local parts shop and order out of the book. That's what scare me the most about this bike. But since you mentioned it what is the situation with tm and us?

Thanks for the info! It seems to be hard to find parts already! Not like I can go to the local parts shop and order out of the book. That's what scare me the most about this bike. But since you mentioned it what is the situation with tm and us?

They didn't import any bikes in 2014 into the US due to the exchange rate. 2015 doesn't look to be any better off from what I have read.

They are very cool, I would love to have one of their 300cc 2 stroke supermoto bikes. There just isn't any support here in the states.

Al parts are still made and don't cost more cause they're older. Parts availability in the US might be a problem but I don't think so.

I heard a rumor about a new importer in the US fairly close to the source, if it's true (and I think it is), you wouldn't have to worry about parts (in fact it will get better).

Otherwise you can always talk to Gravity Racing in Germany (speaks/writes English, German and Dutch), they will do what they can for you.

Bike looks very good for an 02 (or is it a 03?).

I think however you might not like it as a woods bike, it's an full on mx bike, with a 2stroke powerband that hit's hard (not to be compared with a EXC250 or 300, those bikes are lame).

So my advice would be, ride before buying it, and if you can in the woods.

Edited by Webar

I know parts are made, and parts are out there, they just aren't in our country. I've owned a bike where many things had to come from Italy or the UK, and it became frustrating waiting on parts and paying more for them.

For comparison sake, look at a YZ250, a bike that has vast aftermarket and OE parts support. You can get most any parts from your local dealer or within a few days from any one of the numerous online suppliers like BTO or Motosport.

I think there are only 10 US dealers of TM motorcycles.

You cannot compare a YZ to TM. Why do you think that TM still looks good? Build quality is miles apart. Parts are not an issue. The little bit of waiting time is nothing compared to the pleasure of owning a really good bike.

Edited by bproofrsa

This is the exotic section. Comparing parts availability to big five is moot.

You cannot compare a YZ to TM. Why do you think that TM still looks good? Build quality is miles apart. Parts are not an issue. The little bit of waiting time is nothing compared to the pleasure of owning a really good bike.

You think build quality on a TM is greater than Yamaha? And yes parts are an issue. Wipe out a subframe and then try to get a replacement in a timely manner. Edited by MXRider72

This is the exotic section. Comparing parts availability to big five is moot.

Just trying to help a potential buyer know what he is getting into with what it's like to own an exotic.

You think build quality on a TM is greater than Yamaha? And yes parts are an issue. Wipe out a subframe and then try to get a replacement in a timely manner.

A TM is much better build quality. You should do your research more comprehensively.

A TM is much better build quality. You should do your research more comprehensively.

Uh no. They aren't. I've seen a 2013 250MX up close and, while it's a nice bike, isn't as refined as a Japanese bike. I'm not alone in my opinion either. Read pretty much any test or comparison of them to the competition. Edited by MXRider72

Just wanted to add that I am not a TM hater. I think they are great bikes and I've said numerous times here I would like to own one. But it wouldn't be my only bike.

I think it's cool what they are building and how they are doing it. I think they are missing the mark a bit in the suspension department currently. The Marzocchi forks aren't that impressive and the shock they make themselves seems to be only decent. I would rather see them with Showa or KYB dampers personally.

I hope they get the importation situation fixed.

Edited by MXRider72

But it wouldn't be my only bike.

I have a husky wr300 as my only bike. Made in Italy like TM.

Parts allegedly unavailable. Put about ten motor hours a month on her. Keeps going.

KYB forks and Sachs shock. Still works.

I had an 09 Husky 450 SMR for 2 years. It was a nice bike and it worked well for the most part. Most parts I ordered came from the UK or Italy though.

Even though Husqvarna has poor parts support here in the USA, it's much better than TM.

Edited by MXRider72

I've had 4 TM's, currently 2 2014's, parts have never been a problem here in Canada.

I own the 2002 tm 250 that was for sale posted in the comment below... I decided to tame it down with a heavier flywheel.. Any recommendations on what sprocket sizes to run also for better bottom end? Also what would the squish be for the top end? I have 4 different size base gaskets to choose from and not sure which to throw on!

TM is definitely a step up in quality compared the Jap bikes (I'm talking about the alloy frames)

Compare the attention to detail that goes for instance on the frame, you don't see any bad welds on a TM (all hand welded, and a work of art), lots of precise cnc machined parts from billet.

I agree the engine castings aren't always that nice, but that's normal given that's it sand casted.

I have/had a Husqvarna 2008 TC450, 2006 WR250, TM 2010 EN300 EN450, 2008 RM250, 2003 RM125, 2001 YZ125, 2010 KXF, (friends have a 2012 CRF250, 2010 EXC450, 2011 SXF350, 2012 and 2013 SXF250), so I actually can compare. And I have to say the attention to detail on the newer TM is a bit higher then the industry standard (like the works bikes).

That one might be an 02 but it definitely has 03 seat and plastics.

As far as a good woods bike it depends what you like.  I am an mx guy and ride an 02 TM 250.  I do know other guys that love the bike in the woods but some have done many mods to get the bike the way they like it in the woods.  (same for jap bikes)  Different jetting/slides/carbs/flywheel weights.  You can also look at the JRF controller which allows you to dial in the powerband hit from super mild teddy bear to wild with just the turn of a dial.  I have not personally used one but everyone says they absolutely rock.

From what I hear the JRF will be all you need to dial in the bike for woods without fiddling with the carb.

I have a few A level woods buddies that only run jap stuff, mostly YZ 250 2 strokes and they have all commented after riding my bike how unbelievably awesome my bike was... they said it has way more low end grunt and better brakes.

As far as parts...  I guess that depends on you as well.  Barker Bros. in Canada are excellent for parts in the USA.  I guess if you needed something NOW for a next day ride then you might be frustrated if this is your only bike.  I have many bikes and waiting a week for parts is no biggie.

If you search the forum and google... you will see many jap parts cross over and can be bought from a local jap bike dealer if you have one and don't want to mail order.

While the image MXRider72 paints (who doesn't even own a TM is appears!) could theoretically be a worst case scenario it is not the norm in my experience and I have never waited more then a week for parts. (and I have basically rebuilt my entire bike)  

The Ohlins suspension on that bike will be awesome after you get them set up properly, and that bike will be just as reliable as any other well maintained bike.