Sign in to follow this  

Scratched Plastics.

I just bought a used 2007 CRF150f and the plastics are fairly scratches up. I was wondering if there is any way of eliminating these scratches without damaging them? The guy at the dealership wanted to sell me some special product but it was out of my price range. I was thinking about using a heat gun and sandpaper but I heard that if it is not done correctly I could make it even worse.

Thanks to anyone with suggestions.

I scraped the high bits off with a scraper blade (the type you use in a paint scraper) and then put some fresh graphics over the top. It was quick and easy. 

Using sandpaper and polishing plastic takes a bit of practice and LOTS of time. I'd only consider it for plastics that can no longer be replaced, like on a really old bike. That's how much hard work it is. 

As for the heat gun it's not too hard to accidentally deform the plastics from overheating. You can't fix big scratches with it either. People just use it to get the surface looking glossy again, like when it's turned white from UV exposure, or has dullness from fine scratches. I'd practice on something worthless first if you want to give it a go. 

I scraped the high bits off with a scraper blade (the type you use in a paint scraper) and then put some fresh graphics over the top. It was quick and easy.

Using sandpaper and polishing plastic takes a bit of practice and LOTS of time. I'd only consider it for plastics that can no longer be replaced, like on a really old bike. That's how much hard work it is.

As for the heat gun it's not too hard to accidentally deform the plastics from overheating. You can't fix big scratches with it either. People just use it to get the surface looking glossy again, like when it's turned white from UV exposure, or has dullness from fine scratches. I'd practice on something worthless first if you want to give it a go.

Any recommendations on graphics that are not the most costly but will still look nice? Thanks anyways.

I use some high high grit sandpaper (like 2000) then hit it with an electric buffer and some diamond cut compund. They might not be glossy brand new shiny but they look good and are smooth. And its not really much effort, takes me like 15 minutes.

Used that method on my car headlights too, they look brand new

Any recommendations on graphics that are not the most costly but will still look nice? Thanks anyways.

The cheapest I found for my own bike was a kit from Factory Effex on Ebay. I think they are cheaper than a lot of the others because they cover a lot less than some. That was fine for my bike, the plastics weren't too bad. 

This guy looks good: http://stores.ebay.com/theprintfactory/

He was recommended in this thread: http://www.thumpertalk.com/topic/1071423-ebay-graphics/page-2?hl=%2Bgraphics#entry11751336