Who's relocated their battery ?

I've been wanting a smaller lighter lithium battery , like those MOTY units . I would like to relocate one to gain the space the stock battery box takes up for a new Tool tube project that will mirror the MRD muffler . (Hint)

Edited by Masshole DRZ
  • Like 2

Interested to see who all has done this mod as well. I've got a new shorai battery sitting on shelf just waiting for this use.

Which Shorai did you get ? I am intrigued with the MOTY. 4 cells because of the small size . I've read on another forum that a user installed one on top of his air box on his DRZ SM . I'm not sure if his is referring to the inside top or just under his seat . I'd like to be able to totally remove the stock battery box , if possible .

Sent from my iPhone using Thumper Talk mobile app

putting anything in the airbox kills power quickly, and surprising just how much. 

another negative is if/when the battery smokes, it's going to suck all that nasty stuff into the carb, intake, valves, cylinder and do a real job on everything down wind. 

i would consider a 4 cell side-by-side against the front edge of whatever tool tube you'r planning instead

• Like 1

putting anything in the airbox kills power quickly, and surprising just how much.

I wouldn't put it in the air box , because that would obviously take away from the volume of the box and be counter productive. Hopefully a new lithium battery won't be discharging anything . With the small size of the MOTY I believe I could put it like you said. As forward as possible from the stock location. I will most likely create a custom box to contain it. Probably aluminum sheet metal lined with foam rubber.

I must have jinxed myself by making this thread , yesterday I couldn't restart my bike after stopping for a cold drink. I have been doing troubleshooting today . The battery is just over a year old . Stator tested out fine. R/R tested OK if I did that right .but my voltage isn't increasing when I bring the RPM's up. It's staying at 12.6 -12.7 volts . ????

another negative is if/when the battery smokes, it's going to suck all that nasty stuff into the carb, intake, valves, cylinder and do a real job on everything down wind.

i would consider a 4 cell side-by-side against the front edge of whatever tool tube you'r planning instead

Learn to push start it. Second gear and a good push will get it going.

I know the technique, but it wasn't happening I went all the way up into fifth gear and tire was locking up. If I had mor if a run and hopped on. Maybe it would have . But I was in track leathers and tech. 8 boots and didn't want to run in the heat all that much .
  • Like 2

I know the technique, but it wasn't happening I went all the way up into fifth gear and tire was locking up. If I had mor if a run and hopped on. Maybe it would have . But I was in track leathers and tech. 8 boots and didn't want to run in the heat all that much .

the technique for 2 strokes = any gear at any speed ... dump the clutch and ride on

the technique for 4 strokes = fast as you can get it rolling with a dump truck pushing it (for momentum), 3rd or 4th gear, standing, and when you dump the clutch jump down on the seat with all your potatoes. otherwise the rear tire will just skid and not start the bike. 

also, google 'free power mod' to get your battery charging while riding. 

• Like 2

[quote name="ohgood"

also, google 'free power mod' to get your battery charging while riding.

I did the free power mod today . Two thumbs up .

Everything seems good now . Battery held its charge after an hours ride . Voltage measured over 14.5 running I'll be keeping a close eye on the battery . Till Its regained my trust . I discovered the connection on my battery tender had intermittent contact . So when the battery needed maintenance charging it wasn't getting it . because the light on the charger said charged , I always thought it was good . After I wiggled the connection a few times the light moved to Charging . I cleaned the plug ends . But recharged the battery with a larger charger . I still want a lightweight lithium battery . But am still deciding on the model to buy. Pending my choice of location to mount it. I liked the side by side four cell MOTY it's about the size of a deck of cards. I made a mock up of it out of cardboard to try fitting it places . There arnt many. A member here put one under his seat by cutting out some of the seat plastic and some foam. My worries are that if it ever failed and smoked it would be right above the air box . Anyone seen a lithium battery cook ??

Edited by Masshole DRZ

Here's a relocation idea I came up with. The side by side 4 cell MOTY ( about the size of a deck if cards) could fit in front of the air box between it and the rear spring. But as suspension gets compressed that space gets smaller . I'm going to try compressing my rear suspension with a ratchet strap to see just how tight it would be . The battery is light enough but it would also be down low and centered..

It depends on the type of lithium battery.  R/C probably is lithium ion and they can have thermal run away events leading to fire.  Lithium ion is also what is used in cell phones and laptops and you have probably seen the stories of poorly made batteries catching fire.  A special charger is required as well.

The LiFPO are a totally different technology which has different performance.  This for example is why they can be placed into an unmodified bike or car charging system and not fail.

Lithium Iron Phosphate

Not saying they cannot fail or burn but they are supposed to be much more stable.  I abused my first one pretty bad and all it did was eventually stop holding a charge.

http://www.batterystuff.com/kb/articles/battery-articles/lithium-battery-overview.html

http://batteryuniversity.com/learn/article/types_of_lithium_ion

Edited by slowriding

• 2 weeks later...

Trying to get back on track with my projects , I cleaned my garage ( not 100%) then today I ordered one of the MOTY lithium batteries . I decided on the side by side 4 cell . Before deciding I made up mock up batteries out of cardboard to. Duplicate their size and experimented a little . I think I'll have more options with the side by side 4 cell. Unfortunately there is a back order . Due to overseas shipment . I will be waiting an additional 3 weeks . My plan is to totally eliminate the factory battery box . I guess I'll find out in a month or so If I can do it. . In the mean time. , I can work on the tool tube aspect of my project .

Edited by Masshole DRZ
  • Like 2

So you went with the 2X2 battery or the inline 4 set up?

i

I ordered the side by side , but all their 4 cell and. 8 cell batteries are on back order for at least 3 weeks .

I made mock up batteries to scale out of cardboard to experiment with placement. I believe I have a few good options as to where I could put the side by side 4 cell .

i

I ordered the side by side , but all their 4 cell and. 8 cell batteries are on back order for at least 3 weeks .

I made mock up batteries to scale out of cardboard to experiment with placement. I believe I have a few good options as to where I could put the side by side 4 cell .

Where are you thinking? I'm curious as I would like the extra room and weight saving

Where are you thinking? I'm curious as I would like the extra room and weight saving

Be prepared . This will be Wordy .

OK the first relocation I saw , the guy put the side by side under his seat by cutting out a section of the seat pan and a small amount of foam. He said he notice no difference in comfort. I'll keep that as a last option. My first thought was to locate a 2x2 in the area where the coolant overflow tank used to be .(turkey baster mod) if the tab on the front of the air box was cut off it would provide a little more space to work with, but I also like to reuse any factory holes or threaded tabs whenever possible. I also thought I could use the subframes left side passenger peg mount holes as a mounting point by fabricating some sort of bracket to hold the battery. Idea #3 when I made a to scale mock up of the side by side 4 cell It was about the size of a deck of cards . I found that I could fit that in between the front side of the airbox and the spring .i thought possibly mounting the battery with industrial strength Velcro . I compressed the suspension and it didn't come in contact with the spring. Lastly while doing mock up of my Tool tube I decided on using the factory battery mount locations to attatch my brackets that will hold the

tube . My finished version left me with a bracket large enough to mount the side by side above the tube. In nearly the same spot as the factory battery .. I believe I could put the battery on either side of the bracket .but will most likely be put on the outside for easier access , and I believe it will stay cleaner there. I won't know for sure till I have the actual battery in my hands . But those are some of the ideas I've come up with. .

If your not trying to put a tool tube in there you'll have all kinds of room once you remove the battery box.

Just figure out how you'll hold the battery . Use some of the existing holes in the subframe and make it happen.

Edited by Masshole DRZ
  • Like 1

The specs on the MOTY 4 cell are good.....however with 15 less CCA than a 4 cell Ballistic you would be marginal with a tough starter...

For around the same money and physical size the ballistic may be the better option...

At the end of the day it's your call..Just putting my 2c out there for you to ponder... ?

http://www.motydesign.com/product.php?batteries=4-cell-battery-2x2

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/BALLISTIC-PERFORMANCE-LITHIUM-EVO2-12V-4CELL-MOTORCYCLE-BATTERY-135-AMPS-100-010-/151360797049?pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&hash=item233dce7979&_uhb=1

• Like 2