Sign in to follow this  

A few questions... YZ125

Hello all,

I bought a 1997 YZ125 about 45 days ago. I usually ride 1 - 2 times per week. I ride it at a MX facility but I don't ride the pro track. I usually keep it on the hare scramble track or some of the open riding areas. I only go WOT on long straights and I'm still learning how to "keep on the pipe". 

1. When I first start the bike and rev the engine I can hear air escaping from kick start screw. It sounds almost like a turbo on a car. psssssssssss. Is this a normal place for air to escape? The air is coming out where the kick starter screws into the engine. It looks like there is a bolt and a rubber seal there. Maybe I should replace this seal??? 

2. My spark plug is a little on the dark side of chocolaty brown. Like dark chocolate. I am running a 330 main/45 pilot. The previous owner was running a 310 main/50 pilot. Stock is 350 main. I am 5280' above sea level and sometimes go higher. Why would anyone go as small as 310 on the main? I asked the guys at the shop but they were kind of unclear and didn't give a good answer. 

3. My trans oil comes out milky black. I just switched to belray gear saver. Does milky indicate a water pump seal issue? It's not too milky but I notice it. 

Thanks!

When was the last time you or previous owner changed the oil and rebuilt the clutch?

When was the last time you or previous owner changed the oil and rebuilt the clutch?

Not sure. He gave me a brand new clutch kit for it. He said he went in to replace it and the clutch was still really good. Could this be my issue?

The milky black substance could be clutch material

The milky black substance could be clutch material

Nice! Thanks for the info. I'm soaking the new clutch in oil now. I will replace it later today. Thanks again!