Sign in to follow this  

Starter motor problems

I have just started having issues with my starter motor. At this point in time it only seems a minor problem. About once a day I find the bike will not start at all, a couple of taps on the starter motor and the old girl fires back up again. It all started about a week ago when the bike blew its main fuse for reasons I dont know. Replaced it and has not happened again. Out of the last 5 days, 4 of them I have had the problem with the bike not starting.

So what I want to know is, 

1, Will pro longed tapping on the starter motor lead to more problems and or the starter failing more quickly?

2, Any suggestions on what would be the first things to check to see what part of the starter could be failing?

I am currently in Peru and finding it difficult to get any replacemant parts for this model bike. The bike does have an extremely high amount of miles (about 70000) so I understand that it could just be the starter has a few worn parts.

Any help or suggestions would be great.

Mark

www.handfulofthrottle.blogspot.com

Remove the starter and disassemble.chances are you need a new starter but cleaning the comuntator and replacing the brushes might fix it.from what you describe it sounds like it's grounded out and sometimes you can't fix it

• Like 1

There is not much to go wrong with the starter other than brushes wear out.  I suspect the brushes are warn down and binding in the brush holders. Tapping on the starter lets the spring pressure make better contact with the armature.  As long a tapping works it should not cause any further damage.  I suspect in Peru you can find a shade tree mechanic that can adapt some available brushes to work.  Brush spring pressure is fairly important so if the springs have lost temper from over heating due to poor contact, plan on replacing the brush springs as well as the brushes.  I think they come in a brush kit but if you are adapting parts you may have to adapt some springs as well.  Just cleaning the armature doubtful will have much affect.  There is actually better contact when there is graphite transfer onto the copper.

There is not much to go wrong with the starter other than brushes wear out.  I suspect the brushes are warn down and binding in the brush holders. Tapping on the starter lets the spring pressure make better contact with the armature.  As long a tapping works it should not cause any further damage.  I suspect in Peru you can find a shade tree mechanic that can adapt some available brushes to work.  Brush spring pressure is fairly important so if the springs have lost temper from over heating due to poor contact, plan on replacing the brush springs as well as the brushes.  I think they come in a brush kit but if you are adapting parts you may have to adapt some springs as well.  Just cleaning the armature doubtful will have much affect.  There is actually better contact when there is graphite transfer onto the copper.

Thanks Noble for your reply, As I head further North possibly into Ecuador I will take time out and check the brushes and springs and see what I can do along with numerous other odd jobs.

70,000 miles? Holy crap. I thought my 25,000 mile DRZ was a lot.

• Like 1