Sign in to follow this  

New to Gasgas! Some pics and updates!

I have been on a KX450 now for years, but the trails keep getting harder and the bike isn't getting any easier to ride. So, I was looking for a KTM 300 but this GG XC300e popped up for a great deal so I jumped on it. I purchased the bike from Paul at County Cycles in WI. I can't thank Paul enough for working with me and making it a smooth transaction. Especially since I'm in UT.

Here is the bike when I picked it up at the shipping facility.

8b7f4dcf5457108372c17c8a98d14ead.jpg068e4914ed47d13f21caaa04a63796d8.jpg

Well, after a few gnarly trail rides I have my Gasgas legs under me. I love the bike! It's so precise and I can ride it all day and it doesn't tire me out.

Then, one day, I'm minding my own business and it quits on me. Long story short, it lost all it's coolant and I burned it down. Luckily it didn't seize. I did a fresh top end and had the squish cut while it was a part. Plus a hour meter, and a billet impeller.

Here's the wrist pin. If it wasn't heat treated before, it is now.

8340046f5468fac83ae1143e1922b63d.jpg

Billet impeller.

b5c2cbd409e6edb7cdf29484c7e9385c.jpg

Replaced the t-stat housing with one of these little finned things. I don't know if they really do anything, but it looked a lot cooler than a brass fitting.

1483f5300723fadb3206d80ce4f5c2b1.jpg

I also did a Tubliss in the rear since it was time for a rear tire. This has got to be one of my favorite mods! I can't wait to do the front.

73991f4cb7682b55fadb2c776f724937.jpg

Next up was the lighting. This is the first bike I have ever had with a headlight and I was excited to try it out. It was disappointing to say the least. Good enough to get ya home, but that's about it. So, I had this LED bike light I bought on ebay for $25 that I use for mountain biking at night. It fit in the headlight bulb perfectly. So I cut off the back, bought a new constant current driver, and fit it in.

99f8d36b6e49a8b4e316f9490e63b8c8.jpg

bbab860f7de525c10a6ab85d76bb2afe.jpg

0e84f9b3bf2dbb9df0d9beba52c61f2d.jpg

6f02a0234fa6a9d104f6caf48ee19e01.jpg

Much better!

Looks good!

I just did the same thing with the thermostat housing on my 2011. Had the hose blow off numerous times and figured it was the thermostat itself causing the problem. All went well for a year and then it blew apart again in the middle of a race a couple of weeks ago.

Was going to pick up a 2014 300 this year, but after seeing the improvements made for 2015 I am holding off.

I swear by the Tubliss system for the rear. I have suffered two flats on the front with it though. In both cases the front tire was shredded by rocks and no amount of sealant would have held the air in. Tubliss was never damaged in either case. However, it made riding sidehill a challenge. I am considering going to a mousse in the front.

Can't wait for the 2015s to arrive!

Good to know on the front tubliss. I figured it would be better than a tube since it will still hold the bead. Side hilling would be a challenge for sure though.

I paid 5K for the bike. It was a demo. Shipping was a little under 400. I had county cycle re-spring it and jet it for me before shipping so there was the added cost of that as well.

The flat issue may have been a tire choice issue as well. I have a thing for IRC tires and love the M1A front, but it is a soft terrain MX tire and the carcass is not as stout as the S12XC I ran previously. I shredded two IRC's but never had an issue with either the S12 or the AT81 I have ran.

Mousse inserts are nice, but 13psi feel is a little too hard for my liking, especially in the front. I like 6 to 11 in the front depending on terrain and run as low as 4psi in the rear. No mousse that I know of has that kind of feel.

I see. That makes sense. I really like the S12xc. Maybe I'll just do that for the front. I prefer a lower pressure as well. I run 11psi on the really rocky fast stuff and lower when I can. I'm excited to run it lower and not worry about a pinch flat as much.

I see. That makes sense. I really like the S12xc. Maybe I'll just do that for the front. I prefer a lower pressure as well. I run 11psi on the really rocky fast stuff and lower when I can. I'm excited to run it lower and not worry about a pinch flat as much.

Nice bike! Where did you get the finned hose coupler? I'd like to bypass the thermostat on my bike as well.

Thanks,

Chuck

Edited by Chaz955i

I found it on ebay. I think I searched "inline cooler dirt bike" or something like that.