Anyone have an FZ8 as a stable mate for their DRZ?

So my DRZ is currently set up for in town and offroad riding so i was thinking about adding a FZ8 to the stable to for my commuting bike because i will be commuting 100 miles round trip to my school! The local dealer has a pretty good deal on a New 2012 Left over 5999 and they will prob move on it even more just to get it off the books considering they have a 13 on sale also! I couldnt find alot of Personal reviews on the bikes even on the Fz8 forums or on here but everyone either loves it or says its sucks get an FZ1. I was just wondering if any DRZ guys have one as a stable mate!?

Also they reason for getting it instead of just switching sprockets back and forth is because i dont want to and a i ahve a powerstroke i would like to get rid of since i rarely use it anymore (since i sold my quad last summer to get a DRZ) and i will be commuting so i will not be driving it back and forth to school!

FZ8 no MT09 or FZ09 yes, and its twice the bike the FZ8 is, the 8 is a boring 4 cylinder clone, but a fundamentally a good bike, the 09 is brilliant, best motorcycle engine hands down for everyday riding, ignore the shite printed about the RBW throttle and suspension, they are a slight compromise but the rest of the bike is awesome, third gear throttle up wheelies anyone, buy one, they are cheap as chips

FZ8 no MT09 or FZ09 yes, and its twice the bike the FZ8 is, the 8 is a boring 4 cylinder clone, but a fundamentally a good bike, the 09 is brilliant, best motorcycle engine hands down for everyday riding, ignore the shite printed about the RBW throttle and suspension, they are a slight compromise but the rest of the bike is awesome, third gear throttle up wheelies anyone, buy one, they are cheap as chips

Thanks for the input but a 9 is not in the budget as the local shop as a Fz8 2012 leftover for 5999 and no 9s even in Stock because they sold out! So I'm really just looking at the 8 or (very unlikely) possibly the 13 fz8 or a 15 fz07 if they decide to haggle on price and give me a fair amount on my trade.

If strictly budget is the issue, then that limits the options, but an 800 motor is usable. I don't know where you live, but if commuting soley on a bike, I hope your in the deep south.

Edited by Spud786

If strictly budget is the issue, then that limits the options, but an 800 motor is usable. I don't know where you live, but if commuting soley on a bike, I hope your in the deep south.

Why do you say this?

Cause if your not in the deep south you'll be dealing with ice, and on a bike that can be Russian roulette between that and traffic. In the deep south there might be a day or two of ice, just much rarer compared to up north. The truck might be missed in that case, and commuting you wont have the luxury to wait till it warms up.

i think you'd be fine with that .. i'll tell you some thoughts .... for daily commuting especially in the cool months a faired bike is a plus but not a deal breaker, a good leather jacket and gloves does the trick .. a mid size bike is a definite plus fuel-wise .. and this is probably more personal preference, but a mid-size cruiser is so much more comfortable to ride, and although im not into image personally, you do get alot more respect on the road and out and about on a cruiser, for commuting for me, thats the way to go .. the other bikes are play bikes ...

id kill for a the white/red MT09

1406430691351.jpg

Lol I have a 5 speed fwd car that can deal with the worst of Illinois winters, plus I already own arctic gear from snow mobiling and winter ATV riding! The bike will be a Commuter bike and day tripper as long as there isn't snow on the ground! And as far as a cruiser goes I previously owned a HD 1200c and the way I ride completely defeated the purpose of owning it. Hence why I'm looking a naked/Sport touring bike (as I've seen people do) I was just wondering if Any DRZ owner owned a Fz8 also and could give me their personal experience of owning one since there isn't many personal reviews, just commercial reviews that mean nothing to me! Also the FZ09 is pointless to me as it's basically a big ass supermoto (in reference to ergos and the narrowseat) that can't do what a supermoto can! If I was going to go that route I would just buy a Ktm Duke which would be easier and cheaper to service and fix!

Thanks for the advice guys but I'm just looking to hear personal reviews from owners/people who have test rode a FZ8! Haven't been able to find time to test ride the one yet but hopefully come Monday I can!

I dont know why anyone would buy a FZ8 now that the FZ-09 is out and the FZ-07 will be coming here soon,  i dont think its worth the $5,999 when  a FZ-07 will only be about $500 dollars more,  IMO dont do it. 

The FZ-07 makes a better case than the Fz-09 to me as its not supermotoish. more of a true naked but starting at 6990 over the 5999 of the FZ8 at my dealer (which they most likely will work with me more on since they need to get it off the books) plus we dont have a 07 in the showroom yet so that doesnt help my situation! i like the dash better on the 07 but overall looks the 8 wins. Plus out of the crate it makes 35 more HP and 10 more tq but the 8 weighs 70lbs more! Anyways the Tank is bigger and the Fz8 felt good when i sat on it! also it sounds pretty damn good with a aftermarket exhaust!

I dont know why anyone would buy a FZ8 now that the FZ-09 is out and the FZ-07 will be coming here soon,  i dont think its worth the $5,999 when  a FZ-07 will only be about $500 dollars more,  IMO dont do it.

The 07 looks like a top little mount, less mental than the 09, which is by all accounts not a bike you can be ham fisted with in tricky conditions (does sub 11 sec quarters close to the super naked 1/4 times), the 08 is 70 or 80 pounds heavier than an 09, the 07 is lighter still and would make a great commuter, any Yamaha will be 1000 times easier to live with than any KTM reliability wise, that includes servicing, 500 bucks more for a nice light new model FZ07 over an old school bike which they are struggling to sell is a steal.

ok not to be rude but idc about the 07 or the 09! Neither are in the showroom and my dealer doesn't budge on fresh stock they know they can turn! hence why i asked specifically about a FZ8. at 5999. They have a 2012 for 5999 and a 13 for 6999 so knowing my dealer they are going to shake and move on that 12 any way they can to get it out the door and off the floor! meaning they drop the price more, throw in parts, give me a good price on my trade.Sooooooooooo i would like to hear reviews about the Fz8 from people who have one, have ridden one or know a friend who owns one!? No more "get an 09/07 or fz8 sucks" because frankly that isnt any more helpful then the impersonal top speed reviews. I just would like to hear from people with hands on experience and how they like them, outside of just the people on Fz8 forums and the 09 fan boys that haven't even touched a 8.

does the 12 fz8 model have the revised suspension of the 13 model, if I were getting the fz8, that would be more of a decision maker than the 2012 model larger discount, Id take the better suspension. It would be like buying a 2000 model drzs verses a 2003 drz with full adjustability, no comparision.

Edited by Spud786

Valid point it doesnt, but if there is a price gap of 1k between them I would take the 12 (looks better color wise) and get race tech springs gold valves and a R1 shock

But personally I don't think I have the ability or roads to even push stock suspension

Edited by Decil Moto

Valid point it doesnt, but if there is a price gap of 1k between them I would take the 12 (looks better color wise) and get race tech springs gold valves and a R1 shock

But personally I don't think I have the ability or roads to even push stock suspension

6 grand for an FZ8 is cheap as, get the 2012, haggle the shite out of the dealer and see if it sticks, is a good bike and will last a lifetime, Ive ridden both, one is boring but completely competent and nicely made, the other gives you a boner every time you ride it.

6 grand for an FZ8 is cheap as, get the 2012, haggle the shite out of the dealer and see if it sticks, is a good bike and will last a lifetime, Ive ridden both, one is boring but completely competent and nicely made, the other gives you a boner every time you ride it.

Thank you! Im glad i wont have a boner when i ride it because if i brake to hard it might snap it off on the tank or dent the tank up really bad  :p

My Drz is my fun bike as i enjoy bashing on trails and back roads more than i do about dragging my knee into corners. I just wanted a bike that can do day trips, cruise 60 without making my hands go numb, and that is cheap! So thats why i was looking at the FZ8 (was also looking at the CB500F but i thought a Yami 800 would be a better buy for 200 bucks more (thats before i start to haggle, and considering i got my 2013 Drz last year same time new from them for out the door price of 6300 i think i can squeeze a few more dollars out of them since im sure they are getting desperate to get rid of this bike) 

The 09 and 07 are damn good looking bikes but if i was going for more of a hooligan bike i would def skip over those and go for a Aprilia DD or save up a few more bucks and get a MV Rivale!  :thumbsup:

So does anyone else have experience Commuting or Touring a 8?

I have an '06 well set up FZ1.  The thing is a beast.  You can roll it on at 2,000 rpm in 6th and it will pull smoothly until it hits 7 grand, and then the real felonious party begins.  It literally has power everywhere.  You can cruise at 60, pop up to 125 in a few seconds and be doing 60 again. Like any good liter class bike, the power is just stupid.  I like stupid :)

The 1st generation FZ1s are perhaps the best do it all bike ever made.  They are cheap and both generations run forever.  It is not uncommon at all to see FZ1s with 6 figure mileage on them.  The R1 based motor is durable. R1s are durable too for that matter.

This is perhaps the prettiest example of a Gen 1 I have seen in awhile, and it is right up the street from me.  Would love to buy it and have both generations of FZ1 (ya, I like them that much), but the wife would kill me!  Crazy what $3,800 can buy in FZ1 land...

http://denver.en.craigslist.org/mcy/4577785902.html

The new '09 is very cool - great motor, but the bike itself is kind of small.  Would be fun for local rides and doing hooligan activities (the 09 sounds great with a pipe on it and does sick wheelies, both qualities endear it to me plenty) but I can't really see riding one of my 300 mile mountain ride days like I do on the FZ1.  The mountains have a way of making bikes feel small.  Bring a big stick and twist that throttle, and the mountains can be more fun than one should be allowed to have.  It is hard for a new bike to compete with what you can get in the used market. 

The FZ8 is well made and will last forever.  Have not ridden one, but the rap on them is they are bland.  I wonder if a full exhaust and a Power Commander would wake it up, or if it is "terminally tuned for torque".  I suspect the latter.  4 valve instead of 5 valve head aside, they are basically a smaller capacity FZ1, as heavy as an FZ1 with 20% displacement.  Not really an inspiring recipe for success.

Edited by Duken4evr

The FZ1 would be nice but the 13 they have up there is 9.5k which is more than i want to pay. I also do like the fairing on the front, im much more into the small headlight and dash cluster! what i wish was that the fz07 dash came on the 8! as i love the little digital dash (reminds me of my trail tech on my drz) Ive heard the BLAND comments but it seems like those are mainly from Liter bike guys or 09 Fan boys. Seems like most people on the 8 forums say uncorked (exhuast, PCV, and AIS removed) they run pretty good and run very similar to how you described the 06 Fz1 (not as quickly im sure but same RPM power band, Maybe they both have the rare Gold Yamaha Power bands to match the Forks? :devil: )Well we will see how it runs tomorrow and see if they are desperate to get rid of it! If not i can out wait them till an 07 comes in possibly try that out, since it doesnt look as much of a Hooligan/In town bike as the 09 does!

I have an '06 well set up FZ1.  The thing is a beast.  You can roll it on at 2,000 rpm in 6th and it will pull smoothly until it hits 7 grand, and then the real felonious party begins.  It literally has power everywhere.  You can cruise at 60, pop up to 125 in a few seconds and be doing 60 again. Like any good liter class bike, the power is just stupid.  I like stupid :)

The 1st generation FZ1s are perhaps the best do it all bike ever made.  They are cheap and both generations run forever.  It is not uncommon at all to see FZ1s with 6 figure mileage on them.  The R1 based motor is durable. R1s are durable too for that matter.

This is perhaps the prettiest example of a Gen 1 I have seen in awhile, and it is right up the street from me.  Would love to buy it and have both generations of FZ1 (ya, I like them that much), but the wife would kill me!  Crazy what $3,800 can buy in FZ1 land...

http://denver.en.craigslist.org/mcy/4577785902.html

The new '09 is very cool - great motor, but the bike itself is kind of small.  Would be fun for local rides and doing hooligan activities (the 09 sounds great with a pipe on it and does sick wheelies, both qualities endear it to me plenty) but I can't really see riding one of my 300 mile mountain ride days like I do on the FZ1.  The mountains have a way of making bikes feel small.  Bring a big stick and twist that throttle, and the mountains can be more fun than one should be allowed to have.  It is hard for a new bike to compete with what you can get in the used market. 

The FZ8 is well made and will last forever.  Have not ridden one, but the rap on them is they are bland.  I wonder if a full exhaust and a Power Commander would wake it up, or if it is "terminally tuned for torque".  I suspect the latter.  4 valve instead of 5 valve head aside, they are basically a smaller capacity FZ1, as heavy as an FZ1 with 20% displacement.  Not really an inspiring recipe for success.

To me the fz7 looks like more of a cost and performance cutter, fuel mileage is quite a bit better on the 7, the fz8 seat looks more comfy.