Sign in to follow this  

fuel stabilizer?

when should i use a fuel stabilizer or additive? i know probably in the winter when i might not ride very often but what about in the summer? i havent ridden in a couple weeks and it worries me with the crap gas and 10% ethanol. i know im only talking a couple weeks but still. any suggestions? brands?

when should i use a fuel stabilizer or additive? i know probably in the winter when i might not ride very often but what about in the summer? i havent ridden in a couple weeks and it worries me with the crap gas and 10% ethanol. i know im only talking a couple weeks but still. any suggestions? brands?

Two weeks!!! Holy crap man I hope the lines aren't plugged by now :);)

Don't fall for the propaganda man! I have had the same tank of fuel in my ice auger for three years and in my chain saw for like six years....and they always start 2-3 pulls....lol.

I only ever think about stabilizer in winter, when my bikes are stored for like 5+ months. I've never had issues. I drain the fuel in spring and burn it in my work car for good measure..lol. But I'm sure I could run it through the bikes without issue...

I think most of the stabilizer is made by the same company, up here at least. I use Stabil brand, but the Stabil knock-off, Canadian Tire brand is a bit cheaper, and I'm sure just as good...

Sta-bil makes a version that has an ethanol treatment in it, see it at Wal Mart. But I don't bother with fuel stabilizers anymore though, pretty much all snake oil that are better at separating you from a few of your $$ than they are at extending the life of your fuel.

I think I have weed eater gas out in my shed that is well over a year old. I throw the Sea Foam in my track bike if I'm not gonna ride it for a few months....but a few weeks?!?!?! No way. The gas will be fine. ...and I live in CA where we have the damn tree hugger gas!

If in doubt, drain it out.

Put it in your car and refill the bike with fresh gas.

I know my car doesn't mind old gas.