Sign in to follow this  

Crf 250L engine questions

Hey, sorry if i do something incorrectly, I'm new here.

Anyway, so i've been looking at a new bike. My Crf 150f is getting small for me, and i think the 250l would be a nice upgrade. So of course, I have a question or two.

The engine on these is basically a CBR crotch rocket engine, put into a dirt bike, from what i understand. So what does that mean? Is it significantly different from normal dirt bike engines? Is it less rugged?

Either way though, it is a big step up from my bike, but way heavier, right? Thanks for any input!!!!

• Like 1

First off Welcome Capt--Yes they are rugged and holding up well-as for your question gnath9 has both and is the person to ask--his son rides the 150 and he has a well modded 250L--

Welcome Capt,

More rugged than the dirt bike engine in some ways...however, it is not a crotch rocket by any means. Takes some mods to get really motivated.

You can come at us anyway you like...don't be afraid to sound stupid, most of us like to help and share what we know.

Edited by Oldmossyspokes
  • Like 5

It's a great dual sport bike, ie it is great on the road for a bike that can go off road. If you are doing mostly open area type riding it works well. It also can do tight technical riding but you really start to notice the weight.

Probably the biggest downfall of the bike is the suspension, but it still works and can be modified with great results.

If you are looking for a trail only bike I would purchase something else. If you want a bike that you can commute on during the week and hit the trails on the weekend then it is a great bike for the MONEY.

The motor will last forever with very minor maintenance.

Edited by Positron007
  • Like 5

Supprised gnath has not responded--maybe he is busy??  as i remember him saying he liked the 150 but that it was not FI as our 250L is--You might ride one if your dealer has one??and try it out?/ They seem to sell fast most places tho!! Good luck ?? 

Positron pretty much said it for me .... the only reason to buy a dual sport is if you want to ride street and trail with the same bike .... if I was a dirt only guy I would have bought the CRF250X

It really is not fair to try to compare the CRF150F to the CRF250L as they are not in the same class.

The 250 L is much more bike all across the board. The 150 is a small persons bike that is very capable in the woods ... it feels like a big mini bike to me and I am sure as me and my boy get older I will be the one on the 150 riding trails when I'm 70 years old.

• Like 3

Hi gnath, i've heard good things about you! Haha

So different question now, maybe i ought to make a seperate topic? But anyway, yeah the 150 is good for me because i am only about 5'6. I can plant both feet with slight knee bend. You don't think the 250 is too big of a step up do you?

Hi gnath, i've heard good things about you! Haha

So different question now, maybe i ought to make a seperate topic? But anyway, yeah the 150 is good for me because i am only about 5'6. I can plant both feet with slight knee bend. You don't think the 250 is too big of a step up do you?

Thank you ....  :worthy:

Technically since this is your thread and not that it really matters but, you can do what ever you want in here ....  :goofy:

I am 5'8 with a 30" inseam and with the Race Tech suspension I can still reach just fine with my toes ....  :lol:  But, I am going to have my stock seat redone to be more like the CRF R's or X's as they are narrower and have more grip and I will toss that seat on just for off road and Use my Corbin for my pavement running around ...  :thumbsup:

Your total height wont matter ... If you wear 29 or 30 length jeans I think you will be just fine .... also how old are you and do you plan on street riding ?  If you blast around on the 150 you will have no problem adjusting to the 250 but it is a lot faster weighs a lot more is a lot taller so man handling it is not really an option but, If you are an experienced rider I really do not see that as a problem. Just use your brain and skills a little more ....  :p

I should have also asked if you are a male or female ...  :facepalm:

I also should have mentioned that Race Tech offers the proper lowering solution to do it right if you had to but I do not think you will ... maybe a lower seat is all 

• Like 1

Thanks for all the great replies, gnath. Well, I am indeed male, and I am 16, so that's kind of my plan is that when i can get my motorcycle license I could get this bike to do my trail riding, which is often every day, and also to get me to school when weather permits.

But yeah, it is a little scary thought for me to give up my ability to manhandle my bike. That is the one thing that I have always counted on with my bikes! All my friends are ripping around on two stroke race model 250's, while I put around on my lil old 150 trailbike. but i  don't mind, because I've always been able to have a great feeling of control over my little bike. Maybe I should get lifting within the few months til when I hope I could look into getting my motorcycle license. :smirk: .

• Like 2

Thanks for all the great replies, gnath. Well, I am indeed male, and I am 16, so that's kind of my plan is that when i can get my motorcycle license I could get this bike to do my trail riding, which is often every day, and also to get me to school when weather permits.

But yeah, it is a little scary thought for me to give up my ability to manhandle my bike. That is the one thing that I have always counted on with my bikes! All my friends are ripping around on two stroke race model 250's, while I put around on my lil old 150 trailbike. but i  don't mind, because I've always been able to have a great feeling of control over my little bike. Maybe I should get lifting within the few months til when I hope I could look into getting my motorcycle license. :smirk: .

I think you will grow right into it .... I personally was probably 5'4 and 115 lbs when I was 16 I was one of the smallest kids in the 10th grade. So I think you are far from done growing and you will grow into the CRF250L rather quickly ....  :thumbsup:

You will need to do something with the suspension to keep hanging with your buddies tho. So If your Dad is going to help you in anyway getting this bike make sure to let him know or point him here to read up on how important it is to budget that into the initial costs ... that's what I did. Oh and tires .... don't forget tires. All the rest can come later as your budget allows and that is only if you want to...  :prof:

Putting full Race Tech suspension on a brand new CRF250L is still cheaper than WR250R and only a little more the the KLX250S and sits a little lower than both of those. The CRF250L really is a good value purchase. 

More than likely in a little more than 3 years .... My boy will get my totally modded out CRF305XL HRC Extreme Dual Sport Edition for his 16th birthday ....  :shocked:

When I turned 16 my Dad co signed on a loan for me to get a brand new 1978 Kawasaki KE125 .... that made him the coolest Dad ever and did not cost him a dime as I paid the payments ...  :smirk:

• Like 2

hey Facepunch  (gotta love that name)

have you checked the local laws ,,, maybe you can get a 250X with a street kit, then you can keep up with your bros

but then depending on the trails you ride the L just may keep up just fine.

I ride with KTM's and I keep up and also lead the pack, so you can only go so fast on the trails.

welcome and good luck

• Like 4

Here is an example of what makes this bike awesome. On Saturday I rode 20 miles blacktop to a OHV park, then road 20 miles at the park, 20 miles dirt over to lunch and back, 10 more miles at the OHV park, 10 miles blacktop to wash it off and gas it up and 10 miles of blacktop home. The guys I ride with have plated KTM's but they still trailer to OHV parks as they wouldn't dare ride that much blacktop. I'm not trying to race the KTM's but I can go anywhere they go, just not as fast but still having a great time,  

• Like 5

Hey thanks for more responses guys, and thanks ducky!

Funny you guys both mention keeping up with ktm bikes, because just today i started research into an area i havent quute explored yet, which is these.. I'm not sure what to call them, but surely you know what i mean when i say, the ktm and husqy and beta bikes.

From what I've read up on so far, there are two types of dual sport bikes, those types, and the honda type..

It seems to me that the crf250l is more geared toward being bigger and heavier for road use, so i think i'l start a while other topic about whether these other types might be an option for me possibly. Hmmm...

If you do less than 5000 miles a year and if it falls within your budget then seriously consider the 350exc.

You might need to lower the bike a bit for your height which isn't a problem.

If you are thinking you will do more than 5000 miles a year, the maintenance could prove to be too expensive.

Hey thanks for more responses guys, and thanks ducky!

Funny you guys both mention keeping up with ktm bikes, because just today i started research into an area i havent quute explored yet, which is these.. I'm not sure what to call them, but surely you know what i mean when i say, the ktm and husqy and beta bikes.

From what I've read up on so far, there are two types of dual sport bikes, those types, and the honda type..

It seems to me that the crf250l is more geared toward being bigger and heavier for road use, so i think i'l start a while other topic about whether these other types might be an option for me possibly. Hmmm...

I purchased a new CRF250L and quickly realized it was heavy and underpowered. I then move on to a 2012 KTM 350 EXC-F. I couldn't be happier with my KTM. The bike is light, super fast and I do not ride on the road much, just to get to the trails. The Honda is a great bike, but sounds like you should consider a KTM or Husky. I sold my nephew my Honda and he rode it hard . Now the bike is in the shop getting the engine rebuilt. And when I do trail ride with my CRF250L friends, I end up waiting on them at the end of the trail. There is NO WAY my nephew can keep up with me on his 250L, rather its on the street or dirt.

And you paid how much for the KTM-honestly??

$6,200 with accessories. But, I would have easily dropped more than this into the Honda and not get the performance of the KTM. If I was going to be doing 70-80% street riding I would have kept the Honda as its a great bike. 

• Like 2

Interesting insight..

So does anybody know when there will start to be crf250l available used????

The only ones i can find are new, as they are all only a year old!

Interesting insight..

So does anybody know when there will start to be crf250l available used????

The only ones i can find are new, as they are all only a year old!

several people on here have found some deals on a used CRF250L .... I think you just have to keep a sharp eye out and be ready to buy ...  :thumbsup:  and be prepared to travel if needed to go get it. 

there are a few on here if you're willing to go get it .... http://motorcycles.oodle.com/honda/for-sale/dual-sport-motorcycles/?o=15&s=price

Edited by gnath9
  • Like 1