Sign in to follow this  

Oil migration

Hey guys, got a quick question.  I have a 2012 CRF450X that is having oil migration issues. The oil is moving from tranny side to engine side. The issue should be a right side crank seal and I am wondering if I can do the seal by removing the crank cover and the basket or do I need to split the case.  I appreciate all the insight.  Thanks.

Hey guys, got a quick question.  I have a 2012 CRF450X that is having oil migration issues. The oil is moving from tranny side to engine side. The issue should be a right side crank seal and I am wondering if I can do the seal by removing the crank cover and the basket or do I need to split the case.  I appreciate all the insight.  Thanks.

Yes...it is accessed from the right side outer case.

Make sure that the transmission vent isn't pinched...that could be the whole cause.

Yes...it is accessed from the right side outer case.

Make sure that the transmission vent isn't pinched...that could be the whole cause.

Ok. Thanks.  How hard is the process to replace the seal?

It's not too bad, right cover, clutch, primary gear/starter clutch assy. It's all the little crap that takes time, draining coolant, removing brake lever, kickstarter, scraping gaskets, etc.

• Like 1

It's not too bad, I did it last year. When I did mine, I did the crank seals on both sides, and the balancer seals on both sides. If I was going to start pulling the engine apart, I figured I might as well do all the related seals. I didn't want to go back in there again a month later. The only hard part, if you can call it that, is pulling the flywheel off the left side, because you need a tool. But they're cheap, and now I have the tool to keep for next time.

• Like 1