Sign in to follow this  

Loud knocking sound (video inside, distinctive noise)

2005 DRZ, bike has a long history, bought used from another dude who probably beat the bike himself.  I always did my oil changes, and the bike has an FCR on it that is badly tuned from when I bought it.  

Either way, all the history makes me nervous about the knocking from the engine.  Doesn't seem to be coming from anywhere in particular, up top is where my eyes kind of look at, but its just so damn loud.

Bought a MCCT and all it did was lower the rattle that was never an issue, the knock is still persistant and constant no matter the MCCT.  

Knock seems to dissipate slightly under deceleration, but speeds up during accel until I can't hear it from the wind/exhaust anymore.

Thank you for any help

sounds like your big end bearings/conrod, but dont go off my judgement since im not great with any motorbike techy things. just what i believe the sound is coming from your conrod from your crank, im sure someone will correct me if im wrong.

2005 DRZ, bike has a long history, bought used from another dude who probably beat the bike himself.  I always did my oil changes, and the bike has an FCR on it that is badly tuned from when I bought it.  

Either way, all the history makes me nervous about the knocking from the engine.  Doesn't seem to be coming from anywhere in particular, up top is where my eyes kind of look at, but its just so damn loud.

Bought a MCCT and all it did was lower the rattle that was never an issue, the knock is still persistant and constant no matter the MCCT.  

Knock seems to dissipate slightly under deceleration, but speeds up during accel until I can't hear it from the wind/exhaust anymore.

Thank you for any help

i know videos dont sound as good as in rality but that souns same as mine has sounded for ages tbh

i know videos dont sound as good as in rality but that souns same as mine has sounded for ages tbh

Next to a 09 DRZ mine is LOUD.  I have the offroad yosh also so this thing is overpowering the exhaust note

How many miles? How often do you change your oil?have you ever cleaned out the frame oil screen? Sounds like the piston the way you describe it.

Next to a 09 DRZ mine is LOUD.  I have the offroad yosh also so this thing is overpowering the exhaust note

i had exhaust from an E with 2 ends i could swap 1 open & 1 a big baffle on mine before i got mrd & when i had the quiet baffle in i used to get paranoid at the engine noises 

Edited by carlspeaky

hard to tell if it's an exhaust header leak, or connecting rod. the autodecompression mechanism usually sounds more high pitched/metallic than that. your description of it going away when the engine is loaded sounds bad, like connecting rod bearing/bearings. 

i'd start with a hose + ear to isolate where it's coming from, then open things up. order a head/base gasket kit, and if you're wrong it's only an hours time lost. 

I do have an exhaust leak that is on the right side near the mid pipe where the bike would fall over on.  However, its its like.. 1 mm wide and I cant isolate the noise from the exhaust.  Could the noise still come from the engine if the exhaust leak is farther down the manifold?  I was aware it'd be more of a tap sound

Im going to look at it today, but the bike does have a leak on the right side.  My headers were loose as hell one day like 2 weeks ago, and tightening them did nothing to the sound.

Edited by JJaySBK

I do have an exhaust leak that is on the right side near the mid pipe where the bike would fall over on.  However, its its like.. 1 mm wide and I cant isolate the noise from the exhaust.  Could the noise still come from the engine if the exhaust leak is farther down the manifold?  I was aware it'd be more of a tap sound

Im going to look at it today, but the bike does have a leak on the right side.  My headers were loose as hell one day like 2 weeks ago, and tightening them did nothing to the sound.

wrap a wet rag around it, then listen for the leak again. 

no noise = yay, fix your exhaust

yes noise = booo, you have engine trouble