02 rm 125 clutch wont disengage

Hi, i just rebuilt the engine on my rm 125 and to do so i had to remove the clutch cable, i put everything back in place and started it up after the rebuild and it runs fine, however when i let the clutch out to take off the bike did not move, i have seen many posts about the bike lurching and stalling but none with this same problem, i adjusted the clutch a little and it took off but it moved incredibly slow, i called my mechanic and he said i have to have some play in my clutch lever (which i do not) or else the clutch is basically always engaged, i attempted to adjust the clutch more however i can't get any play in the lever what so ever, any help would be appreciated.

Note: the bike moves fine when i put it in first and pull in the lever when it is turned off and it also moves with relative ease with the clutch released (again meaning it is always engaged)

Edited by BringHelp

Hi, i just rebuilt the engine on my rm 125 and to do so i had to remove the clutch cable, i put everything back in place and started it up after the rebuild and it runs fine, however when i let the clutch out to take off the bike did not move, i have seen many posts about the bike lurching and stalling but none with this same problem, i adjusted the clutch a little and it took off but it moved incredibly slow, i called my mechanic and he said i have to have some play in my clutch lever (which i do not) or else the clutch is basically always engaged, i attempted to adjust the clutch more however i can't get any play in the lever what so ever, any help would be appreciated.

Note: the bike moves fine when i put it in first and pull in the lever when it is turned off and it also moves with relative ease with the clutch released (again meaning it is always engaged)

If you are unable to achieve free play as is then you need to examine the routing of the cable.... There should be about 1/16th or so of an inch of "slop" between where the lever mates with the perch...

Improper cable routing can have a HUGE influence on your clutch operation...

If you are unable to achieve free play as is then you need to examine the routing of the cable.... There should be about 1/16th or so of an inch of "slop" between where the lever mates with the perch...

Improper cable routing can have a HUGE influence on your clutch operation...

Thanks, yeah i have literally zero play in my lever, will check the routing of my cable in the morning, currently locked out of my shop...

Thanks, yeah i have literally zero play in my lever, will check the routing of my cable in the morning, currently locked out of my shop...

Yeah the cable should take a path that allows you to turn the bars completely in both directions while still maintaining slack in the cable. Also minimizing any sharp bends in the cable will result in an easier clutch pull. Sounds like this is your problem, especially since you didn't touch anything else ;)

theres an ajustment at the lever and where it goes into engine, not sure if you knew about that

theres an ajustment at the lever and where it goes into engine, not sure if you knew about that

I know where all the adjustment points are on the cable however none seem to work

Agreed with the above suggestions about probable cable routing.

Just to clarify, 'clutch disengaged' means that you are sitting there, motor running, in gear and the wheel isn't being driven.

'Clutch engaged' means that the clutch is locked up and able to drive the bike forward.

'Clutch partially disengaged' means you are slipping the clutch.

These terms screw up a verbal diagnosis if misused.

So, did you figure out the problem?

So, did you figure out the problem?

Yeah, a little bit of honey goo on the little adjuster bearings freed things up and got the clutch adjusted to a useable point

Yeah, a little bit of honey goo on the little adjuster bearings freed things up and got the clutch adjusted to a useable point

Good job ;)

my buddy has the same problem. What adjuster bearings are you talking about