xr650l wont stay running.

so ive got a 1993 xr650l and the recent issue is it wont stay running. i bought it used off of cl from a guy in moses lake and the think ran fine, but started acting and randomly quitting once i bought the motorcycle. and to fix the issue me and my dad are throwing parts at the junk to get it running, we've put a new cdi on it, it has a fresh battery, new pulse generator and all that good stuff. weve also jumperd the safties and still will not stay running, and we've eliminated the idea of a fuel issue, stock oem carb brand new on good jets and bigger fuel line and steady flow of fuel from the petcock, good venting to. the stator seems to be testing fine and all that good stuff. and we cant seem to find out whats wrong. any leeds help. also it has a hotcam and wiesco 670big bore if it helps. thanks

More info needed......does it run good then quit while idling???????..does it stall and not restart,what jets are in the carb...

B

itll idle all day long with no issue, it starts to die when you driving it at any load, the harder you ride it the more it dies, and it doesnt not stall and restart allmost instantly, and the jets are 162 main and 62 pilot.  but when it runs it goes like a bat out of hell.

too rich for one...............

check your gas tank vent,,next time it does it loosen the gas cap and see if it runs good,,it can vac lock the tank and starve the carb of fuel.......

did you check the ground under the seat,,,,,clean the frame under the wires,,grease it to prevent corrosion.

B

well were running rich because its de snorkeled and is a big bore so it needs more fuel, and we checked, the tank is venting properly, and the carb isnt starved for fuel

and yes we checked the ground under the seat

Still a bit rich, there are a lot of guys on this forum that will tell you that an overbore may actually require smaller jets than before because the increased vacume will actually pull more fuel through the jets.

About your carb cleaning, did you remove the emulsion tube that the main jet screws into and clean the little holes in the sides of the tube?

never cleaned the carb, but the thing it is brand new, never used, so we just stuck it on, before that it was a pos edlebrock, but we dont think its a fuel issue

but the carb is not filthy at all

Ok, so you bought a brand spanking new carb. I thought you meant new jets only.

Have you gone over the spark plug wire?

acutally no, what we did notice its not the stock one, and we think the resistor on the inside is patchy at best so i called honda to order a oem, and my dad helped me out and ordered a new coil for $11 on amazon and we're going to install both to eliminate some elements. but thats something we did today. so ill be waiting tell about next wed. 

When you say you have a 162 main jet, is that a Dynojet by any chance?

They use different sizes and have been implicated in quite a few jetting issues.

Get some Keihin jets, either a 155 or a 158 and see if that helps.  Get a 58 pilot jet.

You haven't told us what kind of pipe you have on it.

When you say you have a 162 main jet, is that a Dynojet by any chance?

They use different sizes and have been implicated in quite a few jetting issues.

Get some Keihin jets, either a 155 or a 158 and see if that helps.  Get a 58 pilot jet.

You haven't told us what kind of pipe you have on it.

Some times we have people that go blind in tring to fix the bikes! I know we TRY to help but like me I know when to get help form a pro! But thats hard to find sometimes!

none of its dyno jets or needle, its all the honda stuff, stock needle shimed up one and just honda oem jets, and the pipe is stock, but again we already ruled out the fuel issue and thinking its electrical.

I had a 1994 XR650L that didn't run quite right and would misfire regularly at low engine speeds.  Jetting fixed that one, not electrical changes.  You're still way rich.  I don't see how you can completely rule out jetting.

well we think we did, because it ran the same with an edlebrock carb, not sure of the needle size, but the other carb ran wayyyyy to lean, and still quit, and sometimes is did run out fuel do to its horizontal needle, but when putting the ne carb on the bike was much more responsive in every way, no smoke, ran faster, less popping, better starting, i could look into new jets but the engine doesnt misfire at all, its just quits like the key was turned off.

the engine doesnt misfire at all, its just quits like the key was turned off.

Have you double-checked the electrical connections of the key and kill switch?  The clutch and kickstand switches?

yes, we checked all of it and bypassed all of it to take it out of the equation. so if were missing something i think we ruled it all out.

Once you finally figure it out, please post about it.  I like to learn about these baffling cases in case I ever run into the same issue sometime in the future.

Good luck with it.

i will let you guys know, as we think it may be a failed resistor in the spark boot, simple cheap attempt. but if all else fails back to the forums and then to my local Honda BRP.

We'll the new coil and spark plug boot made a difference, I managed to make it farther than the last time, and then once it got fully warmed it quit, but since that we're going to try a valve adjustment with the hot cam, and see if the valve timing is the issue, we keep you guys updated

valve didnt help at all. so now we check the stator and then maybe go to honda