Sign in to follow this  

Case Savers & Shift Levers

I just recently put the TT case savers on and also replaced the stock shift lever with the MSR extended lever on my 14 Z. Started out for a long ride today and within a 1/4 mile from home the shift lever starting rubbing the case saver and then stuck. I spun around and limped back home in 2nd gear. Has anyone else had this problem when using this combo?

I tried a couple of methods to bend the lever to no avail. I finally just lowered the lever on the shaft to get it to clear the case saver but it just seems way to low and it doesn't feel "normal"

So is there any trick or tips to bend the lever? It's a pretty stout piece. Also is there another extended shifter option that will clear the saver a little better?

I had the MSR lever on my 09 but was not using the case savers so no problem. The stock lever is just to short and it is difficult to get thick boots underneath it.

Tell me what your using.

Don't bend the shifter on the bike, put it in a vice. Did the clamp bolt loosen off or did you smash the shifter? Pretty much the only way it would hit the case saver.

Don't bend the shifter on the bike, put it in a vice. Did the clamp bolt loosen off or did you smash the shifter? Pretty much the only way it would hit the case saver.

Negative, my MSR shifter hit the case savers since day one. First ride I got stuck in third gear. Over time the shifter wore a clearly visible groove in the case saver where it was hitting.

If anyone has pics of the lever after the grinding, I'd like to see it. I bought an MSR lever but have yet to install it.

If anyone has pics of the lever after the grinding, I'd like to see it. I bought an MSR lever but have yet to install it.

No problem, I won't make it to the shop today but next time I'm down there I'll snap ya a pic.

• Like 1

Did the clamp bolt loosen off or did you smash the shifter? Pretty much the only way it would hit the case saver.

No to smashing the shifter, at least not yet. New case savers and shift lever. Alls good after a some tweaking in the vice and a little filing.

You may have a too thick a coat of silicon between the case saver and case....

I agree with post #5........Mine required some attitude adjustment via minor vise bending ...yours needs the same...

Don't attempt any bending of the lever when it's fitted

Edited by Craig-o
  • Like 1