2002 EC200 review

I am new to GasGas my son has a 2003 MC125 and loves it. We recently came across a 2002 EC200 that is in nice shape. Needs wheel bearings probably jet kit because of altitude change. The guy wants $800.00 for the bike is it worth it, how does it compare to the MC125 in handling and power. It also needs a new chain and I don't know what to buy any input or advice would be appreciated.

sounds OK. Budget another $800 to freshen it up everywhere. Pics?

I figured it needs at least $200 right off the bat but it is in really decent shape. I don't have any pics.

A few years back I bought a 2001 xc 200 for about the same amount. I spent a couple hundred to get it rideable because it had been sitting for a couple years. My plan was to ride it until winter and then tear the engine apart and rebuild it. I rode the bike about half a dozen weekend trips and finally the big end bearing on the connecting rod went out. I think buying any used dirtbike you should plan for the worst unless you know the history of the bike. All in all I think the bike is a solid built machine that excels best in the woods.

Well we bought the 200. It has a fresh top end cylinder and all. I know it needs wheel bearings and I will probably have to jet it because it was from out west. The bike runs great really smooth. My son can't believe the difference from the MC125 which he loves. He wants to ride it in the woods then make up his mind which one he wants to sell.

I am new to GasGas and I am not a mechanic. I am learning daily but I always welcome advice from someone with experience. What kind of oil should I use in gas and trans. Also what type of chain should I buy and any is there any reason someone would not want the headlight plugged in on the EC200. What tips and tricks do you guys use that will make my sons bike last and run better and his riding experience more enjoyable.

Looking forward to how things go.  The rear wheel bearings have a circlip retaining them on one side.  You'll need a snap ring pliers.

I put Shell Rotella T-6 in the transmission and it works well.  Others use the cheaper Rotella with good results.

I took a quick ride on that bike it is really smooth compared to the GasGas MC125 I hate to sell the 125 but I think the 200 is the best bet for my son. I also rode a 2014 EC300 race bike with Recluse clutch and hopped up suspension and extras today I am in love. I had no idea a two stroke had so much bottom end power and that Recluse clutch, WOW! The guy wants $6500 for it because its a demo.

I am new to GasGas and I am not a mechanic. I am learning daily but I always welcome advice from someone with experience. What kind of oil should I use in gas and trans. Also what type of chain should I buy and any is there any reason someone would not want the headlight plugged in on the EC200. What tips and tricks do you guys use that will make my sons bike last and run better and his riding experience more enjoyable.

You'll hear opinions on mix ratio anywhere from 32:1 to 60:1. Just remember that more oil has never been proven to damage a correctly jetted two stroke. Transmission oil doesn't matter on type/brand/viscosity in my opinion. I change mine every 16 hours of recreational trail riding and mix my oil/gas ratio at 32:1. 

I took a quick ride on that bike it is really smooth compared to the GasGas MC125 I hate to sell the 125 but I think the 200 is the best bet for my son. I also rode a 2014 EC300 race bike with Recluse clutch and hopped up suspension and extras today I am in love. I had no idea a two stroke had so much bottom end power and that Recluse clutch, WOW! The guy wants $6500 for it because its a demo.

Let's see, a 2002 ec200 and a 2014 ec300, I wonder which bike your son is going to want to ride?

He is already trying to figure out how to keep buying and selling bikes to get enough money to buy the 300. I will admit that it was probably one of the nicest dirt bikes I have ever been on. He has his MC125 on Craigslist and local paper already

What type of spark plug should I use in the ec200 it has a br8es now

OEM plug is a br8eg. I primarily use that although recently I tried a br8eix.

Heres a video that explains spark plug nicely.

I put new reeds in and the bike starts runs for about 3 seconds and quits and It takes 20-30 kicks to get it started again and it does the same thing. Any suggestions as to what may be wrong

I put new reeds in and the bike starts runs for about 3 seconds and quits and It takes 20-30 kicks to get it started again and it does the same thing. Any suggestions as to what may be wrong

Did you check carb float height? Did you install a new pilot jet? 

Edited by shrubitup

Did you check carb float height? Did you install a new pilot jet? 

I checked the float but not sure what I am doing or how high it is supposed to be. I put in two new jets that came with the kit. I did twist the gas screw could I have screwed it up

I checked the float but not sure what I am doing or how high it is supposed to be. I put in two new jets that came with the kit. I did twist the gas screw could I have screwed it up

Air screw should be about 0.75-1.5 turns out depending on air temps and size of pilot. Do you have a jetting chart in the manual to tell you if the supplied pilot jet is approximate to the weather you're riding? 

Air screw should be about 0.75-1.5 turns out depending on air temps and size of pilot. Do you have a jetting chart in the manual to tell you if the supplied pilot jet is approximate to the weather you're riding? 

No I don't have a manual. I also noticed that the needle that the throttle cable is on doesn't let the slide close all the way the clip is on the next to last place at the top.