2001-2002 YZ250F Crankshaft assembly purchase

I have a 02 yz250f that i rebuilt with a 03' model hot rod stroker crank, you need to use an 03' model crank when u do it cuz the 01' 02' crank rod bearing is too small and thats why they all fail after a while ( thats what i was told by lukes racing) the 03 model crank is the same thing jus has a slightly larger rod bearing, and if u can afford it get a hot rod stroker, its nice.

• Like 1

Ok thanks. I heard to put an 03 crank in it I would have to replace the stator and maybe something else. Is that true or can I just swap to an 03 crankshaft kit? If I can just put an 03 crankshaft kit in it that would be much better.

Edited by trailerparkboy87

I have a 02 yz250f that i rebuilt with a 03' model hot rod stroker crank, you need to use an 03' model crank when u do it cuz the 01' 02' crank rod bearing is too small and thats why they all fail after a while ( thats what i was told by lukes racing) the 03 model crank is the same thing jus has a slightly larger rod bearing, and if u can afford it get a hot rod stroker, its nice.

I am in the middle of doing this very thing.. Have the rod kit sitting in the garage. Mine is an 01 though.

You will need a 03 or later rotor, the nut and the washer from an 03 or later as well. I got a rotor from an 05 and bought the nut and washer oem parts on RM.. think it was $5 for both

you are going to have to run a 03 or later rotor. The Stator should be fine.. no need to change that. But if you look closely there is a difference in the design of the 01-02 rotor compared to the 03 and later ones. Also the 03 and later ones are lighter by about 4 ounces. My guess is the reason you have to upgrade to the newer rotor with the crank is because of the taper on the crank shaft.. it is probably slightly different on the newer crank. I haven't measured it yet, but that is my suspicion.

Thanks guys. Ya it definitely needs the rotor to go with it. And it seems Lukes Racing has a cheaper kit with the hotrod crank and a choice of 2 diff rotors than I can find anywhere else individually. I'll definitely be getting the hot rod conversion kit. Thanks again.