Survey - Middle, Index Finger or None?

Motocross

Most fast pro riders always cover the clutch, for example Carmichael uses his middle finger and RV uses his index finger. There's been a lot of articles written on why this is important for power modulation and keeping the bike under control at all times.

Personally I use my middle finger, I've tried my index finger but it doesn't feel comfortable. I've also tried the Rekluse EXP auto-clutch and could never get comfortable not using the clutch in corners so I still cover it and rely on the Rekluse to prevent stalling when I ride tight woods.

What do the rest of you use -

Index finger, I just have better control with it, dont' know why, though I'll admit I only keep it covered 95% of the time, I try, try, try to cover it all the time but I catch myself here and there. I do modulate power with the clutch quite a bit too. 

I had to really think about this cause it's one of those things that we just do naturally and don't really think about.

I use index and middle on both clutch and break.....but I can't recall if its covered all the time. I'll think about it next time i head out

I think RC's middle finger could give a better grip, but I can't get use to it.

I try to use just my index finger. I slip into using both. Usually, when the front wheel skids I realize I have two fingers on the front brake. Sometimes I wonder why levers are not shorter. Anyone remember the shortie lever craze.

I use my index finger and keep it pretty much covered at all times (2t rider habit) and think I'm more conscience about  covering my front brake (middle finger) which I use a lot.

Middle

Index. Middle is primarily for "communication".

Index

Index, I reserve my middle finger for Blowman and 2uptite.

Index, I reserve my middle finger for Blowman and 2uptite.

Let me see....

flipping-off.gif

Edited by Squid_Racer

I think RC's middle finger could give a better grip, but I can't get use to it.

I try to use just my index finger. I slip into using both. Usually, when the front wheel skids I realize I have two fingers on the front brake. Sometimes I wonder why levers are not shorter. Anyone remember the shortie lever craze.

I still cut mine down....

Index finger.....

Index and middle and shorty levers.

I usually use my index and middle, but I tend to ride really loosely, and unless it gets really rough can hold on ok with those two on the clutch.

Old habits die hard.

Index only, shortys

More often than not, I use Index and middle for the clutch and index for the brake.  I cover them way more than I used to after a gnarly crash with a stuck throttle. :)

More often than not, I use Index and middle for the clutch and index for the brake.  I cover them way more than I used to after a gnarly crash with a stuck throttle. :)

I've noticed Stewart only uses the clutch in corners and his team has admitted since he doesn't use the clutch anywhere else he needs the engine to be super responsive. I'm guessing if he used the clutch to the same extent the other pros do he wouldn't end up on his head so much -

Index. Middle is primarily for "communication".

when being passed.... :ride:

Neither,  I don't ride, never have.

Neither,  I don't ride, never have.

I started this to thread to get some input from real riders, not the 98% of the dead bandwidth that post here

Save your energy for the "Why James Stewart is God" threads

Index, middle clutch cut short so only those 2 fit. Index on brake, full length.

And big toe on brake pedal ;)