Antigravity Batteries Product Giveaways - ENTER NOW! Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  

Motocross Survey - Middle, Index Finger or None?

Most fast pro riders always cover the clutch, for example Carmichael uses his middle finger and RV uses his index finger. There's been a lot of articles written on why this is important for power modulation and keeping the bike under control at all times.

Personally I use my middle finger, I've tried my index finger but it doesn't feel comfortable. I've also tried the Rekluse EXP auto-clutch and could never get comfortable not using the clutch in corners so I still cover it and rely on the Rekluse to prevent stalling when I ride tight woods.

What do the rest of you use -

Index finger, I just have better control with it, dont' know why, though I'll admit I only keep it covered 95% of the time, I try, try, try to cover it all the time but I catch myself here and there. I do modulate power with the clutch quite a bit too. 

I had to really think about this cause it's one of those things that we just do naturally and don't really think about.

I use index and middle on both clutch and break.....but I can't recall if its covered all the time. I'll think about it next time i head out

I think RC's middle finger could give a better grip, but I can't get use to it.

I try to use just my index finger. I slip into using both. Usually, when the front wheel skids I realize I have two fingers on the front brake. Sometimes I wonder why levers are not shorter. Anyone remember the shortie lever craze.

I use my index finger and keep it pretty much covered at all times (2t rider habit) and think I'm more conscience about  covering my front brake (middle finger) which I use a lot.

Index, I reserve my middle finger for Blowman and 2uptite.

Let me see....

flipping-off.gif

Edited by Squid_Racer
  • Like 2

I think RC's middle finger could give a better grip, but I can't get use to it.

I try to use just my index finger. I slip into using both. Usually, when the front wheel skids I realize I have two fingers on the front brake. Sometimes I wonder why levers are not shorter. Anyone remember the shortie lever craze.

I still cut mine down....

Index finger.....

I usually use my index and middle, but I tend to ride really loosely, and unless it gets really rough can hold on ok with those two on the clutch.

Old habits die hard.

• Like 1

More often than not, I use Index and middle for the clutch and index for the brake.  I cover them way more than I used to after a gnarly crash with a stuck throttle. :)

More often than not, I use Index and middle for the clutch and index for the brake.  I cover them way more than I used to after a gnarly crash with a stuck throttle. :)

I've noticed Stewart only uses the clutch in corners and his team has admitted since he doesn't use the clutch anywhere else he needs the engine to be super responsive. I'm guessing if he used the clutch to the same extent the other pros do he wouldn't end up on his head so much -

Neither,  I don't ride, never have.

I started this to thread to get some input from real riders, not the 98% of the dead bandwidth that post here

Save your energy for the "Why James Stewart is God" threads

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Reply with:

Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• By FastLane17
      Growing up, seeing motovans at the track was possibly one of the coolest things.. while I was sleeping in my singlecab pickup. But hey, at the time, in highschool, my truck was cooler than some van. Now at this "age" 24... a van is quite a dang good idea, so I started looking. After a few facebook pots, a buddy of mine knew someone who had a 2001 E350 Passenger van sitting, and would get me a price. he told me it needed a radiator, and the spark plug blew out of cylinder 4 (common 5.4 triton issue). A few days go by, and he calls saying I can have it for FREE! they just needed it gone! So, I go out there with a friend of mine who has a 30ft gooseneck, and some starting fluid to make sure I don't get in too deep... we cant get it to fire without starting fluid, and ruled it out to a fuel pump. We pull the van on the trailer, stop by the parts store, and are headed home.

The van was sitting stationary for 4 years... and smelled like it. but we'll get back there.. We dropped the tank, having to cut one of the tank straps and emptied the 4 year old fuel, put a new fuel pump in it, about 5 gallons of premium race fuel (fast and furious), and she fired up.  Next was the spark plug issue, I tapped the threads, and installed a helicoil along with new plug and coil pack, and we were good. Later I replaced the radiator after flushing the coolant system.

The next day, we pulled out everything behind the first row bench seats, to include the headliner, rear AC duct, and side panels. Had to cut out the old seat belt mounts, and reinstalled the last bench where the first bench originally resided, since it was longer, but a few inches back to have optimal leg room. Then came the wall install... after lots of measuring once and cutting twice... I got it all figured out, and had the wall installed, then yellow stuffed "expanding foam" around all sides to ensure I wouldn't have fuel fumes in the cab. Finally I installed some flooring, just to give the bare metal some protection.

After that, I was king of burned out on the van, before I even used it. She sat in my driveway for months before I was ticketed for having an unregistered vehicle parked outside.. gotta love florida.. I posted it forsale for a few days, then decided I would getRdone.

So, off to the DMV, registered, and custom plates reading "MOTOVAN". Picked up a heavy duty cargo lock, fuel treatment, tons of black ice "little trees", and some R-134 to recharge the AC. She was making her first trip to the track that weekend!

We changed the oil, 1,000 miles and 3 years overdue... only 2qts came out.. and sea foamed the green monster. After driving all over town, I parked in the driveway for a second, only to try to move it, and nothing on start up... not even after a jump.. so back to the parts store for a starter. After one of the worst starter jobs ever, she was cranking again. I figured we were problem free... but not before a brake line failed, and had to replace that guy, in order to take her to the track in 2 days!

Finally! we were all clear, and we loaded three bikes into the van, and we were off! Two bikes is preferred.. but three worked, juts had to put most of the gear in the cab. Was a great day of riding, before a buddy crashed and ended the day with a concussion and a few compressed vertebrae..

The van made another trip out this past weekend, and developed a new misfire, that ill be taking care of this week, and rechargeing the whole AC system since ill be sleeping in it this weekend for my first race in years!

I will add some photos off my phone in a bit, until then, here is my youtube channel I created for the motovan!

• By Mongo134
      2019 Supercross season is near. Your "flavor fave" just took the MEC after being waved bye for the win.
      Same bet as last year..... $100 max customized jersey of your choice. First come first serve, but your ass BETTER pay up as others have to Mongo.
      I'm only taking the first "real" bet that approves my wager.... Tomac vs. the field 2019 SUPERCROSS. . He wins, you win. He looses, I win...... Who is the first taker? Anybody have the testicular fortitude? 
    • By Mongo134
      A friend of mine, BAHA, you know him, had a very good point I never thought of. All of these big $$ race purses are insured. Monster pays on insurance a percentage and should someone win the MEC as they did last night, the insurance company pays it out. 
      Now.... Had Savatgy just FUBAR'd in the sand like he should have to make the pass convincing that would be one thing. But since he was seen looking back several times to see where Tomac was at, caught slowing on camera on the backside of the track AND caught waving Tomac by to take the win.... I'm interested to see if insurance pays out or calls it a form of Insurance Fraud? 
    • By 150dirtcomber
      I could be late but in the post race interview Tomac strongly hinted he will race the GPs at some point in his career. Maybe the incentive will pass but he sounded serious about it.

At about 9:00
    • By wielywilly-g
      While Tomac pulls in a cool Million winning the Supercross triple event Monster Energy Cup!!