Sign in to follow this  

First bike for the Mrs.

I just got back into dirt riding and picked up a bike for my son and a bike for me. Well my wife, who is currently 8 months pregnant, decided to ride my boys xr70 a couple of month's ago and thought it was a ton of fun. So now we've been window shopping for a bike for her. Shes only ridden a bike the one time so she has no experience but i figure if my wife wants to ride i should probably encourage it (after the baby of course). Shes 5ft 4in and about 120 lbs. Hopefully she never sees that I posted that info on the Internet. Ive been thinking a ttr 125 would be a great choice but i just found a 2008 drz 125 for 900 obo. Anyone have any thoughts on this bike? It seems like a pretty good deal and I think she would take less if offer it. Or should i go a different route?

maybe a crf230 would be a good choice

No! Way too tall and powerful for her.

Either a CRF80F, 100F, or 150F. Take her to a Honda dealership and have her sit on all three. Whichever one fits her best, get. Used of course. If she doesn't like it or outgrows it, you can easily sell any for close to what you paid. And when I say "close" I mean possibly more if you buy it right to begin with. Don't try and save money by buying a bike "She'll grow into.". Just not a good idea with motorcycles.

I had considered something bigger but didn't know if she could handle the weight/power and I haven't had much experience with either. On the other hand I don't want to get a bike that wont pull her up trails. The ttr and drz seem pretty comparable. The seller is saying the carb needs cleaning and sometimes the kickstart sticks in the down position. I guess the idle climbs.

Shes only ridden a bike the one time so she has no experience but i figure if my wife wants to ride i should probably encourage it (after the baby of course). Shes 5ft 4in and about 120 lbs. 

maybe a crf230 would be a good choice

If she could handle a 230 (TT-R230 or CRF230F) that would be good for her. But if not a TT-R125 would be plenty

Reading comprehension? She's too small and inexperienced for a 230 of any brand.

Any of the models I mentioned above will have plenty of power to pull her up hills.

Reading comprehension? She's too small and inexperienced for a 230 of any brand.

Any of the models I mentioned above will have plenty of power to pull her up hills.

haha you're funny "reading comprehension" that's what you said to use and completely did not use it to what I posted Mr. Smartass. 5'4 can reach.a 230. And I said IF SHES OK WITH THE POWER in my post. And anyway there's a little thing called throttle control that works quite nicely. Yes a 230 does have a decent amount of power but it's no 250. Let her test a 230 and see if she can handle the power.

also my first bike never before having ridden a dirt bike was a TT-R230. And I handled the power fine.

If she's 5'4" she's NOT going to be able to reach the ground on a 230. Not with confidence on a trail and with ONLY one foot on a flat road. She has NO riding experience. So she WON'T be comfortable with the power of the 230. It's not a racing motor but it's not weak either.

Go back and read the original post then read your response. If you still think it's correct please do us all a favor and stop giving advice to unexperienced non riders.

also my first bike never before having ridden a dirt bike was a TT-R230. And I handled the power fine.

Oh! That changes everything. By all means, EVERYONE should start on a 230. I wonder why they even bother building any other size?

Edited by Colo.TJ

+1 stick with it. Come on people quit arguing, this is advice not a fact contest. Different people have different skills and different goals for buying a bike, the difference feom one novice to the next can be as big as a novice to a veteran rider. We're here to help paint a clearer picture, not tout our own and argue over who's is better. Some might start on a 250, some on a 50. Me? Heck i started mine on a DRZ-400. Been great so far.

If she's 5'4" she's NOT going to be able to reach the ground on a 230. Not with confidence on a trail and with ONLY one foot on a flat road. She has NO riding experience. So she WON'T be comfortable with the power of the 230. It's not a racing motor but it's not weak either.

Go back and read the original post then read your response. If you still think it's correct please do us all a favor and stop giving advice to unexperienced non riders.

when i first got my 230 I was 5'4 and I lowered the suspension and handled the power fine. Edited by YZF_MX_rider

Thanks for the help everyone. I haven't seen the klx140s but ill look into them. As long as theyre basically reliable, fit the budget, and she can handle the bike i think we'll be doing well. Hopefully i can take a look at that drz in the next day or 2. Seems pretty tought to beat for the money.

DRZ125L, TTR125LE, KLX140L, CRF100F, CRF125L would all work for her at her height.  My daughter who is 5' 4" started on a CRF100F.  When she was ready to move up, she tried the CRF150F my son was riding and she could do it while on tip toes, but it was a lot of weight and a little tough for her to handle.  We ended up going the route of KX100....which she loved.

All the bikes i suggested above are the "L" versions which have 19"/16" wheel size.  The larger wheel works better on trail rides for getting over obstacles.  I believe all of

CRF230F....definitely too tall and heavy.

My wife is about the same size, and had about the same experience level when I bought her a 2008 DRZ125.  Over the last few months, she has gotten much much better.  She loves it, and I have a great time goofing off on it as well.