Help me decide ...

Hi guys,

i have a '13 kxf 250 that im not having much luck reliability wise.

I've been a KTM (250sxf) guy for a long time 4 bikes since 07 and in the engine department they were very good compared with the kawa

Now its time to change bikes, and i am wondering if the new generation of yz250f are as good as the KTM.

Thanks

If you look through history, right up to current, yamaha bikes have always been the most reliable out there. I own a 14 YZ 250f and would be willing to put it up against anything for reliability.

Yes the previous engines sede good. But the new one, I don't know, haven't seen any in my riding área.

This silence is starting to make me think...

No news is good news :) They are great fantastic awesome is that what you want to hear :) There are a few small issues with water pump shafts and shift shaft lever's with new parts available for the 14 and fitted std on the 15's. I've had many bikes over the years of various brands and this one is a ripper in many areas.

Yea I'm aware of the 14 issues. That's why I will go with the 15.

But I'm still Wating for more feedback from you guys...

Are there really issues with the 14's? If you google it, you find noone really talking about it other than a couple forums.  Those threads seems to be guys worried about it happening than guys it happened to. It seems like it was isolated incidents? It seems like its happening on mod bikes? It also seems like the same people are on the same boards, talking about it. The pics are the same ones I've seen across the forums.There are several bikes out there with over 200 hours on them going strong as well...

I've called all the local dealers and they know nothing about it, none of the bikes they have sold have been back with issues, their shop bike has some rough hours on it they said and it hasn't had any issues. They said they'd think they'd of heard something by now because the bikes were selling as fast as they were coming in.

Edited by rexisme

The Yamaha is truly the most reliable popular four stroke.  The only thing the KTM had over the Yamaha was valve life because stock KTM valves are DEl West valves.  When it is time to change your Yamaha Valves use Del West valves they will last twice as long and will not need frequent adjustment, they are only slightly more expensive at around $99.00 each.  The Yamaha suspension is miles ahead of a KTM.

Its true my KTM valves never seemed to move. The kawa is a pain to keep them in spec.

One of the reasons for the change from KTM is their WP's.

Also the issues that i heard of were from TT.

The shifter stopper and water propeller shaft. Thats why I'm getting the 15 as it seems Yamaha updated them.

Its true my KTM valves never seemed to move. The kawa is a pain to keep them in spec.

One of the reasons for the change from KTM is their WP's.

Also the issues that i heard of were from TT.

The shifter stopper and water propeller shaft. Thats why I'm getting the 15 as it seems Yamaha updated them.

But isn't the impeller shaft the same only theres a different coating on it? The actual impeller is the same from the comparison pics I've seen.  The shift stopper, I couldn't find too much info on it... Everything mass produced is going to have issues. I would say if you're the weekend warrior, I wouldn't worry too much about it. I know I'm not, I just got a brand new one off the floor a week ago.

This reminds me of when Ford released the 2011 5.0, everyone was saying to not buy it because a couple of guys had issues with the transmission. Go online, you find a ton of people talking and worrying about it. But, the only examples everyone had were all the same person's experience, same pictures, same users just on different forums. Next thing you know you've got thousands of people worried about something that happened to 1% of the purchasers, if that (which come to find out the guy who started the wave, it was his first manual car, he was short shifting and rev matching and all that shit but doing it improperly). All I know, I didn't listen to them with the mustang, bought one of the showroom floor, beat the absolute &%$#@! out of it for 30k miles, had no issues, the guy who bought it turned it into a track car, it has around 85k miles on it now, still with no issues and seeing the track every other if not every weekend when its nice out.

I know that wasn't the best example but my issue is, is this a real issue? Or is this an "internet" issue? Just like stated in the other thread, it happens to one person and with the internet the way it is... all of a sudden everything is deemed horrible and every guy that dreamed about purchasing one (not saying you're dreaming, just using an example) starts stating, "well I wont buy one now." All I know is I found a lot more info on how great this bike is, how many hours guys have on them, and everything else before I found out what we're talking about.

Edited by rexisme

I know that one or two examples are not enough to determinate the reliability of the YZF, but I'm just trying to make a safe buy, since I'm having serious problems with the KXF.

Before i bought the Kawasaki i knew that it wasn't as durable as my previous KTM's but didn't expect that it would be this bad.

So i'm trying to buy the next most reliable Bike after KTM.

Edited by Aquafresh

I know that one or two examples are not enough to determinate the reliability of the YZF, but I'm just trying to make a safe buy, since I'm having serious problems with the KXF.

Before i bought the Kawasaki i knew that it wasn't as durable as my previous KTM's but didn't expect that it would be this bad.

So i'm trying to buy the next most reliable Bike after KTM.

I hear you man. I too am a little worried about this issue. But, I had to take a step back and look at it as a whole. Then once I started seeing the same pics on the different forums when I googled it, it was kind of like,ok, so one guy takes pics for proof. Throws them up on the internet and next thing you know, its a wild fire. I'm not disagreeing that there might be an issue or agreeing that there is an issue. But this happens often for various products..

This 14 yzf is my first bike again after 15+ years of not being on one. So I must say, I researched and I also came on TT every day since I joined and clicked in the different sub forums to see if anyone was having issues with any of the 14' bikes and what issues they were having. I actually had a smoking deal lined up on a new kx that would of saved me around $1500 or so but I also chose the blue because of the track record of reliability.

If it happens to me, it will all depend on how the company handles the issue. If they write me off and it comes out of my pocket, well I'll vote with my dollars the next time around. I do know I will kick myself in the dick if it happens to me though, I had a deal lined up on a 15 that was only a minimal amount more but was 3 hours away. I went with local because it was a small town shop that makes you feel like family when you come in over the other dealer that just pushes bikes out the door.

Edited by rexisme

Great bike so far, ABSOLUTELY no issue's other than it wont start on the first kick anymore, it now take's three. Throttle response is perfect, handle's great and feel's light.

Great bike so far, ABSOLUTELY no issue's other than it wont start on the first kick anymore, it now take's three. Throttle response is perfect, handle's great and feel's light.

Mine is an absolute bitch to start. That's my only real complaint about it... Everyone says each bike has its own "trick" I sure wish I could figure mine out. ...

I think that for '15 they changed the exaust camshaft for helping Start.

How many hours do you have on your Bike?

Edited by Aquafresh

You are correct.

I am just getting ready to change out my break in oil.

Kick it over twice slowly from cold,find tdc and kick mines a 1st kick starter. Hot just find tdc and kick 1st kick here. My dealer has seen one water pump shaft fail and told me before I bought, I ordered the update on the day, did I need it ?? Probably not but it makes me feel better :) The new shaft from what I've felt is solid steel will check it later and post up. There are some really high hour enduro bikes here with no issues at all. From what I've seen they are typical Yamaha bomb proof bikes. 

MM 

Before my bike was broken in, it was hard to start and really hard to kick over. Then everything loosened up and when the bike is warm it pretty much fires up first kick every time. If the bike sits for a while (days) it usually takes about 3-4 kicks to start it. Once it's started, I can now start it first kick especially if I get it at TDC to begin with, for the rest of the day.

Need more reviews please...

Before my bike was broken in, it was hard to start and really hard to kick over. Then everything loosened up and when the bike is warm it pretty much fires up first kick every time. If the bike sits for a while (days) it usually takes about 3-4 kicks to start it. Once it's started, I can now start it first kick especially if I get it at TDC to begin with, for the rest of the day.

Well....

I think that was all that was needed, a little more run time for the bike. Now, it starts before the 3rd kick all the time every time... At least it did when I went to use it all week, now that I said something it will go back to being stubborn. Ha Ha.

Edited by rexisme