yzf 250- yz 250

thinking of converting a 2004 yzf 250 to yz 250. What is it going to take. Does anyone make a kit

It takes selling the 250f and buying a 250 2t. In all seriousness, it would take more money and time to convert one over than to sell yours and buy a 250 two stroke.

Only way I'd do it is if the 250f was roached and had a blown engine...and I had a spare 2 stroke 250 engine laying around.

its not mine it a friend going to be spare bike and it has 3000 in suspension alone. Someone has to make a kit or motor mounts. If it isnt worth it I will jut rebuild the 270 for it

the motor is blown and this would be a winter project

No none makes a kit. Best option would be to pull $3k worth of suspension off and bolt it on a new YZ

its not mine it a friend going to be spare bike and it has 3000 in suspension alone. Someone has to make a kit or motor mounts. If it isnt worth it I will jut rebuild the 270 for it

One thing that you have to understand is that it is an 11 year old bike. Just either fixing it and selling it or parting it out will be the better opinion then trying to do some sort of backyard rigging. Another thing is that the 250f, even with suspension that is worth 3k, probably still isn't as good as yamaha's current offering (2006-current) of the SSS suspension.

ya you guys arent understanding I was going to make a spare bike. something to do over the winter I dont care that it is only worth 3000 or 300. I am looking for a project, not to resell. I know it is a 11 year old bike and not worth much. Thanks for your time I will source it out myself.

Really the only thing that can be done is either be handy with a tig welder or know someone that is. Cutting and fabricating mounts yourself is going to be the easiest way to do it. I know that there was/is a company called MPS and they have done a 250/360 ohlins kitted 2t transplant into an aluminum framed yz250f. You could see if they still do custom bikes (cr 500 aluminum frame conversions/etc...) and maybe they can steer you towards an answer.

Edited by orangyktmthing

The idea of a "kit" to swap in a smoker motor into a 250f frame is pretty interesting.  Can you imagine how may garages in this country have blown motor 250fs sitting in them collecting dust, because the repairs cost more than the bike is worth?

You know what I think would be really interesting---some kind of kit that would allow you to swap in a bullet proof large bore air-cooled smoker motor into a modern 250f frame donor.  What a great trail bike that would be!  The simplicity and power of big bore air cooled smoker, with a modern frame and suspension!

I am a journeyman welder fabricator for 18 years and run my own business so welding is no problem.friend is giving me the bike and it has a bunch of goodies on it ready for racing harescrambbles just need motor,either way I think I can build 250f or dump in 2 stroke for around 1500 in parts. Like I said I am looking for a project over winter and buy piece at a time.

Since you can weld, and are getting the 250f chassis for free, then you really shouldn't have a problem with the swap.

However, getting a complete smoker engine that runs or at least will require minimum repairs for your price point will be the issue.  Unless you can find a later ['99 or newer) YZ250 bike for cheap that you can get the engine and ignition off of for really cheap, I personally wouldn't take on the project.

I would rather part out the 250f chassis and use the money from that for a different project bike.

There was a guy in my town that did it with a 06 yz450 frame and 06 yz250 motor. He said the motor fits straight into the swingarm. Just needed to make up upper and lower engine mounts. You might need a bit of fiddling with the carb to airbox and possibly 2t radiators. Or different pipes. Good luck keen to see how it goes.

Don't worry about everyone telling you it's not worth it. Just do it!

thank you dan, my thoughts excactly.project//spare bike seeing as i already have fi rmz 450 for main bike and wouldnt trade it for anything.

I don't have any issues with conversions. But rednecking a 250 2t motor into a archaic 2004 YZF chassis seems like a waste of time and money...

to each his own