Sign in to follow this  

Trying to find exhaust that will meet 96db

Okay so Im trying to find the best exhaust that will meet 96 dbs for my offroad rides that have sound check so I have to meet 96 db. The best pipes I have researched are the yoshi rs-2 and the mrd standard with inserts.  Both of these pipes are proven to meet 96 dbs?

Most quiet inserts on most systems will get you 94-96 db.

Edited by billdirt1
  • Like 1

Just watched a FMF video on youtube yesterday that said their power core 4 with insert met the 96db idle level.

Id call BS on that one,  the powercore 4 is LOUD,  ive ridden a DRZ with the PC4 slip on many times,  its almost as loud as me MRD. 

• Like 1

The stock exhaust is something like 86-88dB, and the FMF Q4 w/ powerbomb header is something like 92-94dB. Seems to me that the FMF Q4 w/ powerbomb header is the quietest aftermarket you can get.

All that said, the quietest exhaust you can probably get would be a RS2 full exhaust with ebarbaek's exhaust tip modification. http://www.thumpertalk.com/topic/487229-how-to-quiet-the-yosh-rs2a-littlevids-pics/

He had it down to 81dB at 15mph. Crazy!

Id call BS on that one,  the powercore 4 is LOUD,  ive ridden a DRZ with the PC4 slip on many times,  its almost as loud as me MRD.

I watched the video, with a db meter. It's 96 at idle, not at throttle.

• Like 1

I can confirm that the Powercore 4 is loud as shit.

My exhaust is trying to spit my baffle out, blew out 2/3 rivets and spits packing out regularly, probably making it slightly louder, but it's definitely louder than your typical straight piped Harley at speed.

I'll get a DB meter app on my phone later if any of you want a test.

• Like 1

I can confirm that the Powercore 4 is loud as shit.

My exhaust is trying to spit my baffle out, blew out 2/3 rivets and spits packing out regularly, probably making it slightly louder, but it's definitely louder than your typical straight piped Harley at speed.

I'll get a DB meter app on my phone later if any of you want a test.

Most consumer cellphones' microphones max out at 92dB before they clip. So it won't really be much of a benefit in this instance.

my q4 with quiet insert in is very quiet, certainly meets 96db tests. with it removed, it's fairly loud like most open pipes. 

Who measures the DB rating of a pipe at idle, like you don't ride the bike at idling revs so why even talk about... :bonk:

Anyway the PC head pipe or E head pipe , matched with the FMF Q4 is going to get around mid 90's DB.....

It would be the best option in performance , keeping you in the ball park with sound output.

• Like 1

Nothing scientific about this - but could be of interest all the same. I have a SM with full yoshi RS-2 and corked. I generally ride with 2 other guys - one on a Ducati 1100 Monster with Termignonis and the other with a Korean cruiser. No this is not a joke like the Irishman, the Englishman and the . . . add whatever.

The typical riding order down the road (for reasons fairly obvious) are Monster, DRZ, cruiser. Anyhoo . . . soundcheck from cruiser is that DRZ (corked) is massively louder than Monster (corked)  - about double - and about equal to  Monster (uncorked) based on past experience. No measuring instruments involved - just one guys eardrums. A bullshit measurement in the world of facts - but there it is.

• Like 1

Who measures the DB rating of a pipe at idle, like you don't ride the bike at idling revs so why even talk about... :bonk:

Anyway the PC head pipe or E head pipe , matched with the FMF Q4 is going to get around mid 90's DB.....

It would be the best option in performance , keeping you in the ball park with sound output.

Testers at places where they measure sound levels. At idle and and something like half throttle. (bonk yourself)

Testers at places where they measure sound levels. At idle and and something like half throttle. (bonk yourself)

Yup, this is how I got dinged with my MRD SSW. They measured from idle to a little over 1/4, almost half throttle.

FMF powercore 4 and powerbomb header where much quieter than MRD at idle and most of the throttle. Powercore gets pretty loud when to hit it though.

Edited by JFM43

From what I have heard the MRD with quiet insert and spark arrestor is 96 db it sounds a hell of a lot quieter than without the both of them

From what I have heard the MRD with quiet insert and spark arrestor is 96 db it sounds a hell of a lot quieter than without the both of them

im sure its even louder when you shorten it. just ask ron. haha... :eek:

im sure its even louder when you shorten it. just ask ron. haha... :eek:

I'm against reductions. I need all I got.
  • Like 3

I had an fmf power core. It rocked and met the 96db. I also had a yoshi pro circuit (which I love but is 104db I think) a cobra and gytr on my 450 but If I had to go with a quiet pipe definately fmf. If you can afford the head pipe I recommend that bad dog as well.

• Like 1