ktm 300 XC or XCW

I am going to be getting a new 2015 ktm 300 in the next couple of weeks. I am torn on which one to get. I have gone to my dealer a couple of times and have changed my mind. what are the pros and cons of each one. thanks

Mostly comes down to rear suspension. Linkage works better for bigger jumps and faster type riding. PDS is less prone to get hooked up on roots, logs, rocks, stumps, etc. IMO the wide or close ratio transmissions is less of a deal breaker. 

Really comes down to what type of terrain you are riding.  The XC is a little better for wide open, desert/fire road type stuff, the XC/W is a bit better in the technical tight stuff, single track etc due to the wide ratio trans.  As stated above, the other big diff is the suspension, PDS is a bit better in the woods as no linkage to hang up on stuff or get destroyed on rocks, linkage is better for big big jumps.

Also, the XC/W comes with lights and the XC you would need to add them.

i was leaning towards the xcw but than i raced a hare scramble last week on a 500 exc and thought the xc might be better. i am 50 years old and my big jumps are in the past. if someone from Washington that rides walker valley a lot chimes in i would appreciate it. walker valley is pretty tight and rocky nw trails

I had the same question. I bought a 2013 300 xc. I ride trails with an occasional trip to the track. Haven't had it to the track yet. I have about 40 hrs on the trails coming off a crf450r and I love my xc. After tons of research, without actually riding either bike, I decided on the xc for the linkage rear suspension, closer gear ratio and no headlight. Does great on the trails and haven't got hung up on the rear linkage yet. Hope this helps.

What are you riding now and in what area would you like your new bike to be better in?

From what it sounds like to me, I would go with the lower maintenance XCW.  Plus the XCW's power is more focused towards pulling off the bottom end which favors someone not racing MX or spending a lot of time in 5th or 6th gear.

If ya like the XCW tranny but want linkage, I'd look at the Husqvarna.    Personally after owning several W's I bought an XC.  Mainly for the linkage and also the tranny ratio's.  The XC's gearing seems to work better for me as it isn't as gappy as the W's..  It's pretty seamless from gear to gear and no gaps..  The linkage works much better than any linkless hands down and I rode and raced  linkless since it came out..  Linkless isn't no maintenance either.  Be prepared to replace a hiem joint every year. Switched over to linkage  when I bought my last bike. That's an old wives tale about the linkage getting hung up.  I have never heard that BS when jap bikes are discussed.. 

I am 67 years old and ride a 300 XC..  I had Slavens deck the cylinder and used his provided thin gasket.  This bike has plenty of power..

Edited by zilla

right now i ride a 500 exc and I think the 500 stands for weight. so am looking for a light weight bike to have fun on. i thought the motor was the same on both bikes?  thought the only difference was the suspension and wide ratio gearbox ? i guess no mater what bike i get i will be happy

What are you riding now and in what area would you like your new bike to be better in?

From what it sounds like to me, I would go with the lower maintenance XCW. Plus the XCW's power is more focused towards pulling off the bottom end which favors someone not racing MX or spending a lot of time in 5th or 6th gear.

I don't know how the W can really be considered lower maintenance. Greasing the linkage really isn't harder than changing a heim joint and everything else is pretty much the exact same.

The difference in the transmissions is very slight and shouldn't be a deal breaker either way. My best friend and I bought new 14 300's on the same day from the same dealer he got a W I got an XC. First and second and maybe third are just slightly lower on the W with 4-6 the same. Riding them back to back you can tell first gear is a little lower but other than that they feel very much the same.

The XC is a little stiffer and the W is more plush on rocks and nasty trail stuff but the XC is more than capable enough to be enjoyed on gnarly trails as well especially if you are coming from a MX bike. The W suspension can be set up very well for racing if you want. The W is more plush but the XC can handle whoops and speed a little better stock.

Power is identical between the two bikes depending on how you set your power valve.

Basically do you want a bike that comes with a light and computer or do you want to add them later.

XC is the racing model, definitely wut I would go with if I could buy my '11 model again. Billet triple clamps, better linkage suspension if you do anything other than enduro like me, closer gearbox for aggressive racing vs trail riding.

Like everyone has said. Go with the bike that matches the type of riding you will be doing. I have the XC. Reason I went with it was the close ratio trans and the link suspension. I already had a 450 XC-W so I wanted to change it up a bit.

I went with the 2014 300 XC because I like linkage/tranny better and then I added lights. 

20140629_162133_resized_zps5642bf74.jpg

20140629_162155_resized_zps1039fa8f.jpg

I went with the 2014 300 XC because I like linkage/tranny better and then I added lights. 

I have a 2015 300 XCW coming. I want to take the light OFF. Does the number plate off the 300 XC bolt right on??

i was leaning towards the xcw but than i raced a hare scramble last week on a 500 exc and thought the xc might be better. i am 50 years old and my big jumps are in the past. if someone from Washington that rides walker valley a lot chimes in i would appreciate it. walker valley is pretty tight and rocky nw trails

This has XCW written all over it.

- rocky Washington trails

- 50 years old

- no big jumps

The XCW suspension stays glued to the ground in technical riding for me. Can't wait to get a new one!

I have a 2015 300 XCW coming. I want to take the light OFF. Does the number plate off the 300 XC bolt right on??

I believe so, yes. 

hey 2strokes rule if i get the XCW i was going to take the light off also. do you know when the 2015 are coming in. my dealer said he would find out aug 1st and is guessing around the 8th. i cant wait my first 2 stoke since 2003

Walker valley? XCW would be my choice.

hey 2strokes rule if i get the XCW i was going to take the light off also. do you know when the 2015 are coming in. my dealer said he would find out aug 1st and is guessing around the 8th. i cant wait my first 2 stoke since 2003

My dealer said mid August. Pretty sure the bikes are on American soil and are being distributed as we speak. My 2012 arrived mid August (2011) too.

Walker valley? XCW would be my choice.

since i do most of my riding there i will get a XCW but am doing a hare scamble at washougal next month so i kind of want a bike that will be good on all around stuff

the average rider will not know the difference between the pds and linkage, because most riders will not be hitting anything big enough to be pushing the limits of the PDS outside it's realm... they want to believe the are but the truth is they are not.   PDS is more certainly more diffucult to tune because the geometry has to be very clost, and the pds just works better in the woods getting over stuff, linkage is overkill if you are not using it...  its certainly better on more wide open stuff where u are hitting higher speeds and g-outs.

xc is usually better price point because it doesn't have the lights.

Edited by DRS