2014 500 exc Headlight

Does any one know of a inexpensive headlight for the 500 exc? Maybe like an ultra bright white bulb or any ideas.

I too am looking for insight on this same subject.

I just found out that the lightly used 2012 XC-W 500 that I just bought headlight does not work. I found out while completing my first unintended night ride after buying it... Didn't think to look to see if the light worked while test riding it before buying. Just looked and there is electrical tape and silicone smeared all over the back of the headlight housing... The front fender has damage, but the headlight housing from the front looks good. Must have took a front-end digger in a crash and damaged the backside of the headlight. 

joedirt1: If I can't find a new insert for my stock headlight, then I will end up buying a whole new headlight assembly. My old 2007 EXC 450 headlight was damaged by large rock that was roosted at me by a buddy. I had bruises on my body from the roost and I was even wearing a chest protector! I bought a Trail Tech X2 Off-Road Headlight to replace the damaged unit and liked it quite well. It provided a bit more light then the Stock headlight, but was fairly inexpensive (just over a hundred dollars). Here is a link to there website with a light comparison. Link: http://www.trailtech.net/lighting-comparison 

My brother is trying to talk me into buying the Baja Designs Squadron headlight. It would be nice for off-road riding, but would not work on the rode as a dual-sport headlight. Plus its expensive and you would have to convert the electrical system from AC to DC.

I also looked at the Trail Tech X2 HID headlight and it has the same issues as the Baja Design, but seem to at least have a low and high beam setting. Where as the Baja Design Squadron does not (this is from what I can tell from research, if I am wrong hopefully someone will chime in and correct me).  

I'll probably end up buying theTrail Tech X2 Off-Road Headlight, unless there is a better solution in a similar price range that someone is aware of?

I guess with the squadron you need a dimmer which acts like a low beam the when on high it's full power. That's what BD told me.

There is a thread over on ADV rider in the vendor section, advertising really bright LED bulb replacements that only use have the power of our stock bulbs. They are suppose to work with 14' exc models but one guy posted he couldn't get it to fit. But the vendor said several have been installed already on 500 exc's. It cost like $60 and is suppose to be about 3000 lumens with a high beam and low beam mode. Give it a look. 

I bought an enduro tech dual.5 light and high beam was great but low beam was right at the front fender. Even with high beam on the reflection from the front fender was too much for me. It's a shame because in every other way it was a top shelf light. I sold it and if I ever get into more night riding i'm going with the Baja designs squadron with dimmer. That led bulb being discussed over at ktmtalk looks like a good deal for the money too.

I called and spoke with both Trail Tech and Baja Designs today and found out that the Trail Tech X2 HID and The Baja Designs Squadron does not require a stator upgrade or conversion from ac to dc power for KTM EXC/WX-C 500's due to the EFI bikes are already dc power and have a high output stator... The Dimmer switch is an additional $65 above the $329 for Squadron if you want a low and high beam. The X2 HID already has low and high beam built in with out the need of a dimmer.

Edited by farmboybunk

H4 work in your mask? 

Cyclops $60 & 3600 lumen H4 fitting

http://www.cyclopsadventuresports.com/3600-Lumen-H4-H6M-LED-Headlight-bulb-_p_83.html

Thanks Burnrider! That looks great. Can't go wrong for $65 (with the KTM connector). I'm going to try it out and if it doesn't work out i'll get the BD squadron with a dimmer.

Edit: Just placed my order. $71 shipped with KTM connector. 

Edited by farmboybunk

The Skeen dimmer is excellent.

Might work fine on new bikes with the squadron. I used a KS switch to a smaller LED flood for my headlight. Guys at Cyclops gave me a specific wiring loop as the KS switch is an issue. Works great as a DS headlight. The dimmer is programmable through the headlight switch in a program mode.

12802023983_cba0f2fedf_m.jpg

20 Degree flood puts out a good elliptical beam. Flood $120 / Dimmer $65. Great for the 2005, new bike would get the big blinder with Skeen dimmer.

LED is really nice after years of halogen bulbs, and burned out Chinese HID ballasts.

I called and spoke with both Trail Tech and Baja Designs today and found out that the Trail Tech X2 HID and The Baja Designs Squadron does not require a stator upgrade or conversion from ac to dc power for KTM EXC/WX-C 500's due to the EFI bikes are already dc power and have a high output stator... The Dimmer switch is an additional $65 above the $329 for Squadron if you want a low and high beam. The X2 HID already has low and high beam built in with out the need of a dimmer.

Any update on install? Looking on the vendor thread over at ADV, they recently posted this regarding the bulbs fitting the EXC's. 

"KTM is currently using at least two headlight designs. This bulb will not fit the H4 version with the hard shell rear cover with the bulb holder built in.

It will fit the version that uses the soft rear cup cover."

I'm curious as to which I have. I'm check tomorrow and hope I have the soft rear cup. 

Johnrunner89,

I went to post an install/update post last week with pictures and all, but once I went to add pictures I some how lost my whole post! Needless to say I lost my motivation to retype my post, but your request for an update has giving me the motivation to post minus the pictures  :) .

When I ordered my bulb I left a short message to the seller about what bike I planned to install it on and asked if it would work. He actually called me the next day and told me the exact thing you stated about the rubber boot. I was impressed with the seller. Friendly and knowledgable, and ultimately wanted you to get the right part and not just sale a part. My 500 had the rubber boot and the install was super easy with the supplied adapter. The rubber boot is just an outer dust cover. It will not fit on the Cyclops unit on re-install. Once installed there is very little clearance between the back of the bulb and the head tube frame, but there is no issue. Again the install and function of the light works very well for the short time that I've had it. I've went on a few off-road rides since install, one of 30 miles of sand whoops (love southern Nevada's open desert) and everything has held up well. 

The light is awesome! Especially for the money. I was super close to buying a Baja Designs Squadron, but this is over $300 less! (this is including the required dimmer for the Squadron to have a high and low beam) and puts out a whole lot of light and has a high and low beam. I was able to adjust the tilt of the headlight so the low beam worked well and also was not obnoxious and still have the high beam really throw the light out a long  distance. I'm super happy.

My brother has a 350 exc and we compared the lights next to each other and it is a night and day difference. My brother's 350 also has two 20 watt auxiliary LEDs lights that he can turn on and the Cyclops throws the light just as far, but was not as full of a beam. Which is to be expected, since the 350 has two LEDs and more watts, but the Cyclops was very comparable and its less than half the price of the auxiliary LEDs and fits in the stock headlight to boot.

My brother is ordering one for his 350 and my brother in-law is getting one for his DRZ. I'm sure a handle full of my riding buddies will also place an order.

For a comparison I found this on EBAY. Looks like the exact same light. Link:http://www.ebay.com/itm/221401919910?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649 

It from China and who knows... Cyclops was really good to work with.

Bottom line. If you have a 500 with the rubber boot and want to improve the light out put I highly recommend the bulb, especially considering how inexpensive it is. Also there is a discount available if you enter adv at check out. I hope that helps.  

:ride:

Edited by farmboybunk

Thanks for the update Farmboy! Glad to see that you got your's working and are happy with the results. I was really hoping to do some night rides this summer but the stock headlight just won't cut it. So i'm HOPING I have that soft rear cover on my 14' 500exc, as I would hate to spend $400 on a Squadron that will only be used a couple times.

So I checked my headlight and I think I got the one that won't fit as it's hard plastic :( Can you post a picture of your if you don't mind Farm? I'll try and figure out to post a picture of my rear assembly and let me know if it the same as yours. 

IMG_2815_zps76dd9751.jpg

That's how mine looks. 

Here are pictures of mine. You can see the rubber boot along with the old bulb.

IMG_0414.JPG

IMG_0442.JPG

IMG_0443.JPG

IMG_0445.JPG

IMG_0446.JPG

IMG_0447.JPG

IMG_0440.JPG

IMG_0441.JPG

Edited by farmboybunk

Seams the change was made on the 14's, my 13 has the rubber cover.ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1407800017.625931.jpg

78014001000 HEAD LIGHT CPL. EXC-EU | 08 $81.19 $69.01 10+ In-Stockgreen-check.png

Here is a link to Rock Mountain ATV: http://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/oem-schematic/2

They sell the 2012-2013 headlight for $69. Might be an option. I bet that the old headlight unit will work with the 2014 and up fender. It would still be cheaper by half as much to buy the old  2012-2013 headlight unit and put in the new LED bulb than buy the BD Squadron unit. Just a thought. Especially if you were to be the "Guinea Pig" and try the EBAY bulb out.  :thinking: and re-sell the 2014 headlight to recoup costs... 

Edited by farmboybunk

Damn yea looks like the changes were made for the 14' models. My 13' EXC had the same rubber cover style. I wish there was a cheap knock off version of the Squadron lol

Damn yea looks like the changes were made for the 14' models. My 13' EXC had the same rubber cover style. I wish there was a cheap knock off version of the Squadron lol

I think the Cyclops bulb is probably as close as you get. The Squadron is 4,300 Lumen. While Cyclops is 3,600 lumen.

Edited by farmboybunk