Sign in to follow this  

shifting issue - Possible bent shifter shaft or shift fork

My bike shifts fine from neutral up to second and up to thru fifth gear and back down to neutral. However, it wont go past neutral into first unless I work it on the stand.

First thing I'm thinking, I should check is the shift pawl ratchet and the shift shaft. Hopefully that's it. Has anyone seen a similar issue with and without a hardened shifter? I have a Hammerhead shift lever and I wonder if that wasn't a good idea to install it as all the energy from a hit to the shifter would be transferred to the shift shaft where a stock shifter would be more malleable and bend or break off.

Are you doing this with the motor off and wheel not moving? Sometimes the transmission needs a little movement before going through all the gears up and down.

Did you dump or crash the bike on the left side recently and now this issue is showing itself of did it just show up?

Are you doing this with the motor off and wheel not moving? Sometimes the transmission needs a little movement before going through all the gears up and down.

I have tried it all ways just coasting on flat ground, stopped and on a stand while spinning the rear tire slowly.All the while holding the clutch all the way in. I know the clutch is engaging. I will replace the clutch and the clutch cable next time I work on the bike,.

Did you dump or crash the bike on the left side recently and now this issue is showing itself of did it just show up?

I have had the occasional crash where the front tire washed out in a curve but I have not had a major crash lately that I can remember. I do remember having false neutrals before this happened.