Why did this cable break?

Installed a single pull quick turn throttle from SSW a month or so ago, today I was out riding and the cable snapped. Emailed Eddie from the side of the road and he offered to send me a new cable for free before I even made it home so I'm not worried about that.

The cable broke right at the end, normally they seem to fray near the adjuster so I'm just curious if this is just a defective cable or there is something wrong with my throttle tube.

ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1406491325.805121.jpgImageUploadedByThumper Talk1406491339.149944.jpgImageUploadedByThumper Talk1406491354.432291.jpg

Could this be caused by the cable end not being able to rotate freely? I think I'm going to bore out the hole on the tube a little bit because it's fairly tight.

May not seem like a huge issue but I just don't want the next one to do the same thing while I'm on the highway or something

Installed a single pull quick turn throttle from SSW a month or so ago, today I was out riding and the cable snapped. Emailed Eddie from the side of the road and he offered to send me a new cable for free before I even made it home so I'm not worried about that.

The cable broke right at the end, normally they seem to fray near the adjuster so I'm just curious if this is just a defective cable or there is something wrong with my throttle tube.

attachicon.gifImageUploadedByThumper Talk1406491325.805121.jpgattachicon.gifImageUploadedByThumper Talk1406491339.149944.jpgattachicon.gifImageUploadedByThumper Talk1406491354.432291.jpg

Could this be caused by the cable end not being able to rotate freely? I think I'm going to bore out the hole on the tube a little bit because it's fairly tight.

May not seem like a huge issue but I just don't want the next one to do the same thing while I'm on the highway or something

probably some custom cable with badly soldered ends.

Yes, it is due to flexure of the cable near the cable end.  The cable should wrap on the cable drum without needed to rotate in the hole.  It is some times helpful to pre-bend the cable next to the end so it does not need to flex and lays against the drum.

Thanks Noble I'll take that into account when I install the next one.

Thanks Noble I'll take that into account when I install the next one.

grease both of the barrels lightly too. it helps them slip/slide as needed instead of twist the cable back/forth at the cable to barrel joint. 

I had issues with randum cable breakage on my custom ones at that same juncture. It was really hit and miss.. then an Old dude who had been working on cars and bikes since the days of rod bearings being POURED and then scraped by hand told me I was over heating the cable and causing it to fail. He showed me what a solder pot was and how to use it.... A solder pot fixed my issues, never had another cable end come off or cable break like that above after that. 

usage, cables can snap...actually had this happen to my bicycle this weekend on the shifter....

usage, cables can snap...actually had this happen to my bicycle this weekend on the shifter....

Good idea, but I think not with this one.....

post in part "Installed a single pull quick turn throttle from SSW a month or so ago"

Cumulitive useage was not the issue with this one. 

Does the quick throttle change the angle of the cable? Never used one of those.

I had issues with randum cable breakage on my custom ones at that same juncture. It was really hit and miss.. then an Old dude who had been working on cars and bikes since the days of rod bearings being POURED and then scraped by hand told me I was over heating the cable and causing it to fail. He showed me what a solder pot was and how to use it.... A solder pot fixed my issues, never had another cable end come off or cable break like that above after that.

So, correct me if i am misunderstanding but you are saying that the cable was overheated when the end was soldered on which re tempered the cable causing it to break. That sounds like a reasonable cause to me.

So, correct me if i am misunderstanding but you are saying that the cable was overheated when the end was soldered on which re tempered the cable causing it to break. That sounds like a reasonable cause to me.

On yours? I don't know.....it could be that, it could be the barrel was not rotating in the throttle tube and the excessive flex caused it to fail.. it could be something else.

I am saying on some of the cables I was making, by heating the barrel and cable and flowing silver solder in to the cable.. I was at times overheating the cable and causing it to fail early. 

I fixed that by changing my solder method to dipping the cable/ barrel into a solder pot.

Does the quick throttle change the angle of the cable? Never used one of those.

It uses a larger diameter cam on the throttle tube so you hit wide open without turning your wrist as far. Takes about 1/4 turn with the SSW one

On yours? I don't know.....it could be that, it could be the barrel was not rotating in the throttle tube and the excessive flex caused it to fail.. it could be something else.

I am saying on some of the cables I was making, by heating the barrel and cable and flowing silver solder in to the cable.. I was at times overheating the cable and causing it to fail early.

I fixed that by changing my solder method to dipping the cable/ barrel into a solder pot.

Know any local sources for cable ends? Dealerships maybe? I'm still waiting for my new cable so I figure might as well try and fix the old one. I'd prefer not to buy online, at that point might as well just wait for the new cable. Or can the old end be desoldered and reused? Edited by Gsxrstuntdrz

I think you will find the original end is cast zinc, At least most are so it does not unsolder. I make the ends when I need them so I do not have a source. except for what I can make and parts from old cables.  In a bind you can make and end from a 5/16 brass bolt.  Crude but you can probably make something to work temporarily.  Hardly anyplace makes cables any more.  Motion Pro sells parts and makes custom cables but of course you don't need a custom cable.  I think Flanders still sells cable parts, most likely only in kits.  Look for a shop that works on old British bikes, they may have cable parts.

Know any local sources for cable ends? Dealerships maybe? I'm still waiting for my new cable so I figure might as well try and fix the old one. I'd prefer not to buy online, at that point might as well just wait for the new cable. Or can the old end be desoldered and reused?

Flanders cables  http://www.flanderscables.com/ is where I get my cable parts.. You can buy any needed component ther individually 

Another issue is the solder wicking up the wire rope. Flanders was my first job.