Sign in to follow this  

is this a valve issue?

Hi all im looking at this bike the ad says it needs its valves ajusted but when talking to the guy he also said it may not even need the valves ajusted, it may just need a carb cleaning... it doesent have any signs of out of spec valves.. he said he could get it to run when bump statting it but it ran really lean, what could be wrong with the bike? im intreasted in buying it, thanks

Needing to bump-start vs kick when cold is a typical sign the valves have closed up. Can also be an off-time camshaft. If he says it's valves, I bet it's valves.

Needing to bump-start vs kick when cold is a typical sign the valves have closed up. Can also be an off-time camshaft. If he says it's valves, I bet it's valves.

Would it be worth buying it or an I gonna be opening a can of worms?

He said it doesent have any symptoms of valves outa clearance tho

Edited by Drewster2020

He's trying to sell you a bike. Remove the fuel tank and valve cover and measure the clearances BEFORE you buy the bike if he's so confident they're ok...

He's trying to sell you a bike. Remove the fuel tank and valve cover and measure the clearances BEFORE you buy the bike if he's so confident they're ok...

The ad says it needs valves changed but he says it doesent he the syntoms other than it needs to be bump started.

The ad says it needs valves changed but he says it doesent he the syntoms other than it needs to be bump started.

I already told you, needing to bump-start IS a symptom...

I see that's a symptom. But he says that it doesent have any symptoms so I'll ask to do tbat but I'm not sure he would take it apart. I mean he might but I doubt it

What about the running lean when running though? That sounds like a carb issue

What about the running lean when running though? That sounds like a carb issue

How do you know it's running lean? Because he told you? What if it's popping and running like sheot because the valves are frigged up? Does it have 2 flat tires and he says they just need air? Edited by Eddie8v

How do you know it's running lean? Because he told you? What if it's popping and running like sheot because the valves are frigged up? Does it have 2 flat tires and he says they just need air?

So what are u saying? To not bother with it?

So what are u saying? To not bother with it?

I won't make your decision for you as I don't have enough data, same as you. Without an investigation, you don't know whatcha got...

I won't make your decision for you as I don't have enough data, same as you. Without an investigation, you don't know whatcha got...

I'll check it out and let you know what happens

Is he asking a reasonable price for the bike? Would it be worth it to buy it IF you had to send the head away to get seats cut and new valves installed?