2015 yz250 subframe

Wondering if anyone is thinking about swapping 2015 sub frame and plastics on a 14 and older . To me it appears it is a simple swap over . Also the new tank plastics should also fit . Appears to be the same tank . Any advice on this would be great.

Thanks ryan

I like the shrouds but hate the rear subframe...

I agree to a degree , I wish the air box and side panel had a different shape . But I find myself looking at the restyle kit and also don't like the side panels in that kit . I find the 2015 the best looking so far. Anyone else think the 2015 sub frame we'll fit?

I think the new airbox will bolt up to the old subframe as i have not heard of any change's to it.(as far as i know).

The airbox/sidepanel's also look less prone to snagging the rider's leg imo.which some restyled owners mentioned on here.

Also think they will look much better with some nice fancy speedblock graphics/backgrounds on them too!

Edited by smez

Thank you smez . So maybe it's just a quick air box change and plastics with little fab work. I also think the panels are more functional and cause less snags. Anyone else have an opinion on this?

Less snags then what? The 02-14 never had a snag anywhere...

Thank you smez . So maybe it's just a quick air box change and plastics with little fab work. I also think the panels are more functional and cause less snags. Anyone else have an opinion on this?

I like the new look, kind of grew on me over time, just like the new YZF's did when they first came out. I agree with smez, no mention of change to the sub-frame, but I do wonder if they changed the bolt mount pattern on the sub-frame. Any word when they will be on the showroom ? Would also like to have seen black wheel's come standard, oh well, maybe in 2019.  Tank is the same.

Edited by Alan48

I would suspect a slight mounting change to the mounting tabs making the swap needed. So you will have to buy everything yamaha isn't that dumb $$$.

I'm up for this upgrade, I'm sure Yamaha are going to sell a bucket load of plastics and air boxes.

Hoping the subframe is the same as it will keep the cost of the swap down. 

The new airbox and sidepanels are hideous.  All you guys beating the drums for a restyle are responsible for this monstrosity.   :facepalm:

Yamaha, did a smart move, but still think they're dumb for not updating, anything but plastics and graphics. They could've done a frame change, and would've made more money off the bike IMO.

Looks like the lower bolt location on the side numberplates has changed from the last generation, though this may still thread into the airbox. Not sure what has changed on the subframe, likely it is not much. I hate the look of the new airbox/numberplates.

Edited by KJ790

if you pause this video at the 34 second mark,you can see the lower sidepanel mount's attach to the new airbox so this may well not be a problem imo.the lower rear fender bolt's (into the airbox) look the same to me but as alway's i may be wrong.the top rear fender mount's (at the end's of the subframe) are hidden so may be different?

i think turning the airbox/sidepanel into one large background piece (if you like) with some properly designed graphics will make it look good imo.i remain optomistic on this.....lol!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AzowwLYeH3Q

Edited by smez

Yamaha, did a smart move, but still think they're dumb for not updating, anything but plastics and graphics...

Here is one for the Rumor Mill;

Yamaha needed to change the airbox. It was done to accommodate the direct injection system they plan on introducing in 2016.

:banana:

I'm nearly positive the subframe is the same. The 14 model lower number plate bolts went into the airbox only as well.

They gonna be YELLOW TOO!!

image.jpg

Here is one for the Rumor Mill;

Yamaha needed to change the airbox. It was done to accommodate the direct injection system they plan on introducing in 2016.

:banana:

Yeah, and I heard Honda is coming out with a new DI electric start CR500 too :rolleyes:

i don't think they would spend r$d money on a new subrame just to change the plastics. it all prob bolts right up to the old one

I bet the airbox will bolt up to the older subframe. I'm guessing of course, but I bet they changed minimal components to get the newer styling.

I don't understand why they don't go ahead and use the 2009 + YZ250F swingarm, newer hub, etc since it will bolt right on. It would be one less hub to make if they made all the MX bikes the same.

I bet the airbox will bolt up to the older subframe. I'm guessing of course, but I bet they changed minimal components to get the newer styling.

I don't understand why they don't go ahead and use the 2009 + YZ250F swingarm, newer hub, etc since it will bolt right on. It would be one less hub to make if they made all the MX bikes the same.

My guess is that they have a pile of them to use up before they finally upgrade the two smoke.