Sign in to follow this  

Pig died on me today

I've been riding today and after a few kilometers, it started to hiccup. After appr. 18 km /10 miles it died on me. The hiccups were on low revs. First I thought it was the fuel, my second thought is something electrical. After being helped by the wegenwacht, the Dutch mobile garage, it ran for about the same distance. Just made it home, and to be sure, I swapped the CDI. Same thing. It's like it's having problems with heating up or something. I checked the timing, it's ok. Checked the impedance of the stator hot and cold, within specs and the impedance of the ignition timing thing (you know, on the right side of the engine, that tells when to ignite) and this was hot somewhat over specs, cold it was ok.

Can it be this last thing (of which I don't know the name right now)?

Thanks in advance

The easiest way for you to check spark with an intermittent issue like this is to carry a spare new spark plug and go for a ride. When the bike acts up and dies, pull the spark plug wire off the current (installed) plug and plug in the loose extra plug you brought along. lay the threaded portion of the plug on a bare metal surface on the motor so that you are able to clearly see the business end of the spark plug. Now, push the starter button to turn the engine over and watch the tip of the spark plug for spark while the engine is turning over. There should be a good, blue, strong spark.

If no spark is present then you need to continue checking the ignition components. If the bike is producing good spark then you may have a fueling or mechanical issue.

He he starter button....but the rest I will perform shortly. Keep u posted

I still have no idea what kind of bike you have so I usually just assume folks have xrl's because they make up most of the content on this forum.

I've been riding today and after a few kilometers, it started to hiccup. After appr. 18 km /10 miles it died on me. The hiccups were on low revs. First I thought it was the fuel, my second thought is something electrical. After being helped by the wegenwacht, the Dutch mobile garage, it ran for about the same distance. Just made it home, and to be sure, I swapped the CDI. Same thing. It's like it's having problems with heating up or something. I checked the timing, it's ok. Checked the impedance of the stator hot and cold, within specs and the impedance of the ignition timing thing (you know, on the right side of the engine, that tells when to ignite) and this was hot somewhat over specs, cold it was ok.

Can it be this last thing (of which I don't know the name right now)?

Thanks in advance

Check the spark at kick-over.. a healthy blue spark at the plug held against the case. (Note that the plug will be black from misfires if the spark is weak)

Disconnect the Ignition Exciter wire from the Stator (Black/red) where it connects to the CDi.

The resistance tests are always *inconclusive*.

This exciter wire should have enough volts to give you an electrical shock at kick-over.(get your friend to hold it :-))

It is common for the exciter to require replacement for these bikes due to shorted turns in the windings.

If in doubt buy a Ricky Stator replacement.

Less likely but worth replacing if in doubt...  CDi and PG.. also Coil etc.

If the plug is not black(after misfiring) and the spark looks good look for a fuel related problem.

Good luck...

I already replaced the stator with an upgraded one. Not Ricky but a new aftermarket. Also new igniter coil and cdi. It started yesterday perfectly and no problems for 20 km. Grmbl. :/ now I really don't know what the problem is. To be sure, I'll swap the PG. The resistance measurements where a little high when hot.

I already replaced the stator with an upgraded one. Not Ricky but a new aftermarket. Also new igniter coil and cdi. It started yesterday perfectly and no problems for 20 km. Grmbl. :/ now I really don't know what the problem is. To be sure, I'll swap the PG. The resistance measurements where a little high when hot.

when it died did you check for spark? If you did, what was the result?

My bike would run perfect.......till i shut it off after an hour or so hard running,,,then it`d have to sit awhile till it cooled off some,then started right up,,the PULSE GEN was the issue,,never an issue after tossing a new one in...

B

• Like 2

Could it maybe a fuel tank vent issue? Try riding with the fuel cap loose (and not too much gas in the tank if possible) and see if it happens again.

vent is ok, I can see the tank blowing up when i blow in the vent ;)

Maybe a strange comment, but are the symptoms of a decompression lever that is to tight comparable with the symptoms I had? I have a suspicion this could have something to do with it as well.

Easy enough to disconnect it and try (I always remove the whole thing from any stock 600 anyway). Although if you ran a compression check with a tight decomp lever, it should show low.

Have you checked that the fuel tank filter is not running slow? Also, have you confirmed whether it's fuel or electrical. Another fuel related check would be to crack the drain valve on your carb immediately after it dies and see if any fuel comes out. This will let you know if it's a fuel starved situation.

Today....it was back! The hiccups at low revs. Not quite dying but nevertheless, not as I would like to see it. Throttle keeps it from stalling completely. I'll swap the PG ASAP. Today saw the reading warm @ 540 Ohm. Cooled down at 435 Ohm, which is rather high.