Hotrods Crankshaft....balancer gear dowel pin hole

Aaaargh!

Brand new hotrods crank just installed and case halves sealed up. Started reassembling right side and found the balancer gear dowel pin hole in the crank is too small by ~.005"!

Anyone else experience this before?

I had that problem with my first stroker crank, I ended up pressing the pin in there but it turned out to be a mistake. I just put a new crank in and forgot all about that hole again until I had the cases together again. I am going to lightly grind the pin down to fit into the hole. You basically have two choices grind the hole out or grind the pin down.

.003" difference, not .005", to be clear.

Thanks,aussie. I almost forced it in, but thought of the headache it would be to remove it.

Cases are reseparated and cleaned. Waiting for tomorrow to get a 5mm bit from Hardware Sales (represent!). Grinding a hardened dowel pin down is a nogo in my world.

I put half of my bottom end together today and the hole was spot on, hotrods must have forgotten to check a few batches. Good luck drilling the hardened crank out.

Contact Hotcranks  they will make it right.

"fix" at your own risk, and ask not for Hotcranks help AFTER the "fix" goes wrong

The voices of reason. Came to the same conclusion earlier today.

I have sent HR an email. Couldn't get a hold of them on the phone today (too long on hold). Will update.

Thanks, guys!

The voices of reason. Came to the same conclusion earlier today.

I have sent HR an email. Couldn't get a hold of them on the phone today (too long on hold). Will update.

Thanks, guys!

Good call

I recently had a issue they handled professionally quickly

Is bet they do the same for you

Good call to exchange.  If I had to use it I would make a step pin to fit the crank and gear.  A grade 8 bolt (about Rc40) is machinable and hard enough to use for a locating pin.  I would not attempt to drill or ream the hole in the crank.

So the crank is obviously defected, but what angle do I have about the brand new HR main bearings that were installed? The process of pressing the crank from the left side applies a lot of force to the inner race of the bearing. Am I right to expect them to replace the bearings, too?

You would be right to ask for main bearings. I understand the concern about pressing across the balls.  I have removed and reinstalled a DRZ crank more than once without replacing the bearings but best practice and you paid for new parts you should get another set of new bearings at no cost.

So the crank is obviously defected, but what angle do I have about the brand new HR main bearings that were installed? The process of pressing the crank from the left side applies a lot of force to the inner race of the bearing. Am I right to expect them to replace the bearings, too?

Talk about the issue first

Once agreed upon a replacement request a replacement set Of bearings.

HotRods has been excellent with this issue. Replacement crank and mains to be shipped as soon as the prepaid UPS return tracking number shows up to my contact, Luke.

I am very pleased with their customer service.