Sign in to follow this  

friend hooked up jumper cables wrong on my bike what did i blow

ya my friends a dumbass an hooked up the cables wrong on my 01 drz400s any idea what i might have blown. it was with my brand new battery too 

Bike hasn't been starting, kept trying to start it an killed battery, hooked it up to jump cables an it started...where's the main fuse located, what the hell am I buying what's it look like an where should I go

Bike hasn't been starting, kept trying to start it an killed battery, hooked it up to jump cables an it started...where's the main fuse located, what the hell am I buying what's it look like an where should I go

If it started then the fuse is ok. Best thing to do is tell your friend not to touch your bike.

• Like 2

don't know if this is a problem but throwin it out there.   Bike sits for a period unridden and the fuel evaps out of the carb. Vacuum petcock won';t let much fuel to the carb until it's running or crank a bunch of battery killing times. Then it starts. Solution, ride more often or get a petcock with a prime position or a non vacumm petcock and remember to turn gas on/off. Bike will start better.

The main fuse (only fuse) is a 20 amp standard size blade fuse located above the battery.  But a stated above, the fuse is OK if the bike starts and runs from the battery.  No reason to suspect you killed anything with the reverse jumpers.  Not good practice but mostly it just makes a lot of sparks if only momentarily connected.

• Like 1

Ya I found the fuse an replaced it bikes fine now besides the fact that I gotta keep the choke all the way out and jump start it to run...an it eventually dies an I'm not able to start it again, my buddies letting me borrow his charger tomorrow so I can let my battery sit for a day think this will solve it....an also bike only has on proem an reserve switch idk why it doesn't have off

Wish I just had a damn kick start but only electric start an I havnt been able to bump start it yet

Regarding your fuel petcock - assuming it is original - It has ON, RES and PRI. (on, reserve and prime).  OFF is automatic when the motor is not running.  It is a vacuum operated petcock.  Apparently confusing to some people but in common use on motorcycles since the late 1960's.  There needs to be a vacuum hose connected to the petcock to turn the gas on.  PRI is useful to bypass the OFF and fill the carb with fuel if the carb is for some reason dry.

Wish I just had a damn kick start but only electric start an I havnt been able to bump start it yet

I cannot believe I just read that sentence.  You believe it would be easier to kick start a bike that you cannot get running with an electric starter or push starting? :jawdrop::facepalm::naughty:

I have resorted to push starting bikes after giving up on the kick start but never the other way around.

If you crank and crank you will kill the starter by overheating it and they are not cheap.  If it won't fire after about 5 rotations there is something not right and its unlikely that after 20 or 50 rotations it will suddenly start and run perfectly.  If the carb is plugged it is plugged.  Use the center petcock position 'prime' which is the same as a manual petcock 'on' if you have concerns the carb is dry but you already said it will start with choke so there is fuel in the carb.  Needing the choke is normal even in fairly warm weather but you should be able to push it in almost immediately.  If the idle circuit is plugged or the fuel screw is in too far then the idle is too lean and it will not run.  At the very least get some Seafoam fuel stabilizer and put quite a bit in the fuel.  It might help clear it out but that is only a suggestion if you are not willing to clean the carb.

• Like 1

Agreed with Slowriding, if you can't bump it or e start it, you SURE don't want to be trying to kick start it!

Best bet a steep hill or a slow tow.

Kicking makes teeny tiny juice to start for the effort involved. Compared to rolling wheels forcing it to turn over repeatadly. ;)

"Friend" screwed it up. Yuck yuck.

Edited by MindBlower