Rm250 gets real hot

Hey all own a 2006 rm250 just been rebuilt top and bottom, was the same before the rebuild in regards to how hot it runs

it has a trail tech temp meter on it, now atm in australia - (melbourne towards the south of the country) its pretty cold atm, how ever my bike seems to get quite hot doing any sort of single trail work... temp meter keeps going up and up. usually sits around 60-72degs

radiators are clean and full, and the water pump is in good condition, just wondering what i could do to try and bring the temperature down..., its fine when your moving at speed just slow stuff in 1st kills it and im worried about the up coming summer heat...

any suggestions would be great

when i say hot its getting to around 82 before i shut it down...

10486302_10152505824921329_2667269512540[/url] 

82c? 

THATS IT? Sounds like shes runnin plenty cold to me. Run em till they rad blows. Air fooler 4 strokes get into the 350s

50-100 is fine. Just ride the bike. May I ask, what ratio are you at? and did you jet for that ratio?

Edited by Afrothunderkat

an airleak can cause a lean condition and will cause it too run hotter and eventually seize

only thing i can think of is a lean condition pull your plug and check for a lean condition

82c? 

THATS IT? Sounds like shes runnin plenty cold to me. Run em till they rad blows. Air fooler 4 strokes get into the 350s

50-100 is fine. Just ride the bike. May I ask, what ratio are you at? and did you jet for that ratio?

82 celsius yeah... i was told by the guy who assembled the bottom end to stay between 65-85degs

iv already cooked it once -125degs resulting in the piston letting go some time later, so im being careful 

running it at 45 - 1 with maxima k2 with 98octane pump 

running 42 pilot 

162main jet

45power jet

and NEDW needle some where in the middle

air screw is 1.5turns out.

Pulls like a freight train

v force reeds, pro circuit pipe and shorty muffler, little oily residue out the exhaust, plug comes out mostly clean, insulator is a nice tan/brown colour - im very happy with the way its jetted and the ratio and its taken sometime to get it running this well.

82 celsius yeah... i was told by the guy who assembled the bottom end to stay between 65-85degs

iv already cooked it once -125degs resulting in the piston letting go some time later, so im being careful 

running it at 45 - 1 with maxima k2 with 98octane pump 

running 42 pilot 

162main jet

45power jet

and NEDW needle some where in the middle

air screw is 1.5turns out.

Pulls like a freight train

v force reeds, pro circuit pipe and shorty muffler, little oily residue out the exhaust, plug comes out mostly clean, insulator is a nice tan/brown colour - im very happy with the way its jetted and the ratio and its taken sometime to get it running this well.

I don't know who told you that... My computer gets hotter than that.... Maybe i'm wrong? Steam, then boiling radiator = overheating. You can tell by the way she sounds too. My buddy had an ATC 350x that would get into the 400s, thats air foolers though. I always thought anything under 100c was fine on a liquid smoker seeing how at 10k RPMS there is 166 CONTAINED EXPLOSIONS OF POWER PER SECOND!

45:1 is a bit rich on gas, 98 octane is super high too. Manual recommends 90, I run 93. 

32:1 will result in more power, give that a go.

Edited by Afrothunderkat

I don't know who told you that... My computer gets hotter than that.... Maybe i'm wrong? Steam, then boiling radiator = overheating. You can tell by the way she sounds too. My buddy had an ATC 350x that would get into the 400s, thats air foolers though. I always thought anything under 100c was fine on a liquid smoker seeing how at 10k RPMS there is 166 CONTAINED EXPLOSIONS OF POWER PER SECOND!

45:1 is a bit rich on gas, 98 octane is super high too. Manual recommends 90, I run 93. 

32:1 will result in more power, give that a go.

yeah just being somewhat carfull with it dont want to turn it into a kettle again.

pretty happy with the 98 octane, yeah iv read some people say better ring sealing with more oil.... how ever its running spot on atm and dont really want to stuff with the jetting.

i still fail to see how have more petrol per power stroke will result in less power, surely more air and fuel = more power... iv seen a mate put straight fuel in a whipper snipper that was 2 stroke and it has just screaming!

the local bike mechanic reckons go even 50-1 if i wanted 

Hey all own a 2006 rm250 just been rebuilt top and bottom, was the same before the rebuild in regards to how hot it runs

it has a trail tech temp meter on it, now atm in australia - (melbourne towards the south of the country) its pretty cold atm, how ever my bike seems to get quite hot doing any sort of single trail work... temp meter keeps going up and up. usually sits around 60-72degs

radiators are clean and full, and the water pump is in good condition, just wondering what i could do to try and bring the temperature down..., its fine when your moving at speed just slow stuff in 1st kills it and im worried about the up coming summer heat...

any suggestions would be great

when i say hot its getting to around 82 before i shut it down...

10486302_10152505824921329_2667269512540[/url] 

Radiators are so unbelievably cheap these days.. get a set and a high pressure cap to start and find an overflow bottle setup that you make yourself or buy used and adapt etc.. I'd do that ..say maybe $130 or so.. and look up the overheating boiling over threads on TT ..google etc.. tons of info on this these days and guys have gone through this years ago and have already talked about it..so there's bookoo info on this...

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p3984.m570.l1313.TR0.TRC0.H0.Xradiators+2006+rm+250&_nkw=radiators+2006+rm+250&_sacat=0

..and scroll through these vids for some ideas...I just made this playlist for ideas.. I don't use all of these mods but some of them.....You look and choose what you think might work for you ..especially after reading a bunch of threads to get an idea of what you might want....  a water wetter is good to add to your water.. royal purple for instance..

also if you are in first alot doing slow stuff just gear down so you don't have to slip the clutch as much .. that raises the heat.. just a tooth down on the countershaft sprocket is cheap and helps.

Edited by hawaiidirtrider

yeah just being somewhat carfull with it dont want to turn it into a kettle again.

pretty happy with the 98 octane, yeah iv read some people say better ring sealing with more oil.... how ever its running spot on atm and dont really want to stuff with the jetting.

i still fail to see how have more petrol per power stroke will result in less power, surely more air and fuel = more power... iv seen a mate put straight fuel in a whipper snipper that was 2 stroke and it has just screaming!

the local bike mechanic reckons go even 50-1 if i wanted 

More oil = better ring seal = more power.

http://www.off-road.com/dirtbike/tech/two-stroke-gasoil-ratios-20502.html

Radiators are so unbelievably cheap these days.. get a set and a high pressure cap to start and find an overflow bottle setup that you make yourself or buy used and adapt etc.. I'd do that ..say maybe $130 or so.. and look up the overheating boiling over threads on TT ..google etc.. tons of info on this these days and guys have gone through this years ago and have already talked about it..so there's bookoo info on this...

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p3984.m570.l1313.TR0.TRC0.H0.Xradiators+2006+rm+250&_nkw=radiators+2006+rm+250&_sacat=0

..and scroll through these vids for some ideas...I just made this playlist for ideas.. I don't use all of these mods but some of them.....You look and choose what you think might work for you ..especially after reading a bunch of threads to get an idea of what you might want....  a water wetter is good to add to your water.. royal purple for instance..

also if you are in first alot doing slow stuff just gear down so you don't have to slip the clutch as much .. that raises the heat.. just a tooth down on the countershaft sprocket is cheap and helps.

thanks very much for your input, not overly keen on the after market chinese radiators cant see how they would be any better then factory ? i had one in a car i once owned and hated it to be honest very cheap looking horrible welds etc.

thanks very much for your input, not overly keen on the after market chinese radiators cant see how they would be any better then factory ? i had one in a car i once owned and hated it to be honest very cheap looking horrible welds etc.

Well you have a lot more volume of coolant and that is way better than stock... it depends on what one you got as far as quality I guess...don't remember what one I got..winners?..not sure now.. I bought some for my cr and the one I got had very good quality and around a hundred bucks.. but if not go buy a mylers,fluidyne, fps and spend maybe a couple hundred more maybe but get good quality.