I screwed up

So I went riding the other day and I was in a hurry to get going so I quickly put a fresh new filter on but I didn't put it on properly and I think dirt got into the engine.Not sure how much got in the engine it self but when I my finger in the airboat I pick up little bits of dirt. My question is how bad did that hurt the engine a should I worry about it blowing up soon?

Does the engine still run? That will give you an indication of how much dirt it sucked. If it doesn't run, or it starts some rod knock, then you know you've sucked too much.

Clean the air boot.

• Like 1

Ya engine runs fine no knocking I actually didn't notice until today and have been testing my jetting this last week just with the bike on the stand. I will be cleaning the airboot tomorrow for sure.

You need to test jetting on a track or dirt area, not on a stand. The motorcycle needs a load on the rear tyre and air flowing over it to give an accurate indication. A stand is there for holding the motorcycle up when not in operation, not to assist in jetting it. 

You need to test jetting on a track or dirt area, not on a stand. The motorcycle needs a load on the rear tyre and air flowing over it to give an accurate indication. A stand is there for holding the motorcycle up when not in operation, not to assist in jetting it.

ya I know I noticed at the track that my clip position was to lean and It was detonating so I just changed it to make sure it wasn't to rich which it was so I had to change it again. I will be adjusting it if needed next time I'm at the track.

Should I get new gaskets when I inspect the top end or can I reuse the old ones?

Should always get new ones unless you want an air leak.  As far as tranny oil, that should be unaffected, change at regular interval.  Where I'd be concerned is the crank bearings below the cylinder/piston.  Pulling the motor out is fairly easy.  Get a gallon of WD 40 at the hardware store, and just pour in the crank cavity, and then dump into a bucket.  Optional, pour in an ounce of premix oil before putting the top end back on.  This will ensure good lubrication at initial startup after the flush.  

BTW:  WD40 is great for cleaning your cylinder walls as well before putting your top end back on.

Edited by magpie5

Should always get new ones unless you want an air leak.  As far as tranny oil, that should be unaffected, change at regular interval.  Where I'd be concerned is the crank bearings below the cylinder/piston.  Pulling the motor out is fairly easy.  Get a gallon of WD 40 at the hardware store, and just pour in the crank cavity, and then dump into a bucket.  Optional, pour in an ounce of premix oil before putting the top end back on.

Ok thanks will be doing this as soon as possible.

You should do the following:

1)Pull off the subframe and clean out the intake tract. (might as well clean the whole airbox since it's off.

2) remove the carb and clean it by spraying it out with Honda carb cleaner.

3)Remove and inspect the reeds.

4)Pull off the cylinder and inspect the piston/head/cylinder replace parts as necessary.

(If things are scarred and scratched up badly then you should split the cases if not, your

bottom end is probably ok.

Don't foget to clean the power valve once your in there.

Don't re-use gaskets. Fix it right.

You should do the following:

1)Pull off the subframe and clean out the intake tract. (might as well clean the whole airbox since it's off.

2) remove the carb and clean it by spraying it out with Honda carb cleaner.

3)Remove and inspect the reeds.

4)Pull off the cylinder and inspect the piston/head/cylinder replace parts as necessary.

(If things are scarred and scratched up badly then you should split the cases if not, your

bottom end is probably ok.

Don't foget to clean the power valve once your in there.

Don't re-use gaskets. Fix it right.

Ok thanks will be taking the whole motor out tomorrow and thoroughly inspecting and cleaning everything

Ok thanks and what are the motor mounts torque specs?

Snug and then a little.

I don't know really, the way I see it they're locking nuts with only lateral force effecting them so snug works fine for me, I might be doing it wrong but hasn't caused the trouble yet

Edited by zotis777

Sell it!!  If you're gonna go pro, you can't be riding a bike that's sucked dirt!!!!

Or just do like us weekend warriors who try to disassociate ourselves from regular weekend warriors--clean the bike, filter, etc.  If it sounds ok and compression is fine, just ride it til you do a motor job of some kind and inspect everything.