Crate Bike Purchase. Is it possible?

I asked a dealer that exact question to which he said no, citing some liability bs. I dont see how. But talking with a guy who assembles, its easy money for them. It takes a quarter of the time to assemble than the fee would pay hourly for the guy to do it. Maybe you can find a dealer who will keep it crated for you. Cash speaks loudly sometimes. Maybe bring the amount in full minus the assembly fee.

• Like 1

A lot of dealers have to do a pre delivery inspection (PDI) before it leaves the dealer. Pretty much all for legal reasons. I know ktm doesn't require a PDI for off road. If you can find a dealer that will let it go without one than or a dealer that doesn't charge prep and set up fees. From what I know that's hard to come by.

• Like 1

Yeah, I'm gonna go in with a stack of cash and tell them how many other dealerships are in the area hahaha. Just kidding, I won't exactly do that. But I will be paying cash. I did think about the "liability" aspect of it, and I'm sure a whole lot of dealers will claim that. Also, if they want to do a PDI, I'll tell them I'll assemble it in the parking lot and they can do an ADI lol.

How well do you know the dealer? Most won't sell a bike in the crate especially to just anyone that walks through the door. All the assembly really is is putting on the front wheel and the handle bars, oiling the air filter checking the oil, dumping in some gas and filling out some paper work. I wouldn't make a big deal out of it if I was you

• Like 1

You're gonna take it apart and re-grease re-assemble everything the same anyways. Don't really matter

That's the thing.. Don't really want to take my new bike apart! lol!

How well do you know the dealer? Most won't sell a bike in the crate especially to just anyone that walks through the door. All the assembly really is is putting on the front wheel and the handle bars, oiling the air filter checking the oil, dumping in some gas and filling out some paper work. I wouldn't make a big deal out of it if I was you

I don't know the dealer that well, one of the guys knows me by name, but that doesn't mean much. Most of them are dicks anyway. I really doubt they will let this happen actually

I don't know the dealer that well, one of the guys knows me by name, but that doesn't mean much. Most of them are dicks anyway. I really doubt they will let this happen actually

It's not that bad, better than taking apart an old abused junk bike. Everything will come apart easy and perfect.

Besides I don't trust dealer mech.s, I do things myself especially oil and air filters and greasing things. Those are the little things that done wrong will kill your bike that you want to do.

• Like 4

To the not wanting to take a new bike apart like I said all the dealer really does is put the front tire and handle bars on so it's not like it would be disassembled in the crate anyways. I think you will be far ahead to just negotiate the best price you can and forget getting it in a crate but you can still ask the dealer

• Like 1

Yeah I don't trust them either, mechanic or assembly guy, hell I don't trust anyone. haha. And yeah, you're right, but I really want the satisfaction of putting the bike together, doing it right, and then riding the shit out of it afterwards!

I get the satisfaction thing... But you won't get that unless you take it home and take it apart then put it back together as it comes basically assembled in the crate

• Like 1

I get the satisfaction thing... But you won't get that unless you take it home and take it apart then put it back together as it comes basically assembled in the crate

Well that's fine with me, as I expect Honda torqued all the bolts properly from the factory lol. I just want a brand new one that I seen come out of the crate, that nobody has ever sat on, and that I put the parts together.

Well that's fine with me, as I expect Honda torqued all the bolts properly from the factory lol. I just want a brand new one that I seen come out of the crate, that nobody has ever sat on, and that I put the parts together.

It sounds like this is your first new bike? They are sweet my first new bike was a 2007 RM 250 which is still one of my favorite bikes but mostly because it was my very first brand new bike. See what you can do maybe they will give you one in the crate if you are a pretty smooth talker but don't get your hopes up or be disappointed if they won't because a new bike is still sweet.

• Like 1

It sounds like this is your first new bike? They are sweet my first new bike was a 2007 RM 250 which is still one of my favorite bikes but mostly because it was my very first brand new bike. See what you can do maybe they will give you one in the crate if you are a pretty smooth talker but don't get your hopes up or be disappointed if they won't because a new bike is still sweet.

Yes sir, first brand new bike ever. And yeah I agree, any way you take it it's gonna be sweet guaranteed. I'm also not commited to my local shop because they have been a-holes on a couple of occasions. There are plenty of other dealerships in Houston and I'll probably be shopping for the best deal anyway, chances are one dealership MIGHT let me take it out of the crate. We'll have to see. I'll definitely let everyone know what ends up happening though when we get the bikes.

• Like 1