Sign in to follow this  

oem clutch plates vs aftermarket

My 97 rm250 needs new clutch plates (fibers and steels). So I've been shopping around on numerous websites and narrowed it down to the tusk clutch kit since I don't want to spend alot. But the reviews suggest there kinda hit or miss so I looked at oem plates on cheap cycle parts and it's $22 for the steels and fibers. But are the tusk plates better than the oem plates? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

In our 125 I got the same lifespan from oem or tusk, buy the tusk kit with springs. $45 compared to $120 not a hard decision to stay with Tusk. I would also put in a new inner hub from ProX around $35 and a new Performance Engineering out basket for $129.00. Then you'll have excellent operation and double the life of the clutch, you shouldn't have to worry about these components for at least 4 to 5 more clutch changes.

Edited by JBFL

I had problems with the Tusk clutch plates swelling when hot and creeping when disengaged. I would have to adjust the clutch 2-3 times during a 6 lap race, then when the bike would cool off I would have to adjust it back to where it was. went back to OEM clutch plates and all was good again. I have also had good luck with Hinson and DP clutch plates, though they tend to wear a little quicker than OEM.

KG clutch factory makes most OEM clutches, so check there as well, you can often get an OEM clutch for less money by getting it right from KG.

I had problems with the Tusk clutch plates swelling when hot and creeping when disengaged. I would have to adjust the clutch 2-3 times during a 6 lap race, then when the bike would cool off I would have to adjust it back to where it was. went back to OEM clutch plates and all was good again. I have also had good luck with Hinson and DP clutch plates, though they tend to wear a little quicker than OEM.

KG clutch factory makes most OEM clutches, so check there as well, you can often get an OEM clutch for less money by getting it right from KG.

Re-adjusting the clutch is one of Jake's big complaints with the Tusk, KG would be my next purchase they are about $25 more for the kit. But OEM did not last any longer.

I'd just stick with OEM because you know for a fact they're good instead of going off of secondhand information. 

I done goofed the way cheap cycle parts has it listed is kinda misleading it turns out that its $15 a fiber plate and $7 a steel plate but from all the responses I think I'll go with oem. thanks for all the help