1000+ mile ride on the 230

That is damn impressive, well done!

that's awesome man! I'm taking my 230 on an 3k mile trip from Kodiak Alaska all the way to Deadhorse and back starting Saturday. I am getting a lot less MPG's than you though. Do you have a build thread for your bike? it looks awesome! 

that's awesome man! I'm taking my 230 on an 3k mile trip from Kodiak Alaska all the way to Deadhorse and back starting Saturday. I am getting a lot less MPG's than you though. Do you have a build thread for your bike? it looks awesome! 

Have fun! I know over-inflating the tires is a sin or whatever, but I do it anyway because it helps big time with the MPG. I also run jetting on the leaner side now, another sin for the aircooled bike! I never tested the difference on my 230 but on my XR I got a small but measurable increase in fuel efficiency when I switched from 20w-50 to 5w-40 synthetic oil. I think the biggest key to maximizing fuel economy on this bike is to just find that happy RPM and throttle setting where you aren't getting vibration from lugging, the engine isn't struggling, and you aren't trying to fight the wind too hard. I did 53mph almost the entire way. It didn't matter to me if the speed limit was 70mph, I just stuck with my happy cruising speed and let the trucks go past. It took a long time, but it was efficient and enjoyable.

I don't have a build thread, but I have the following:

-XR250R forks

-Hlebo modded rear shock

-89a camshaft

-Wiseco standard bore piston

-barnett clutch springs

-procom CDI

-Shinko 241 tires, tubeless

*edit* check out the minimalist touring thread on advrider for more MPG tips and just general good reading about small bikes on big adventures :ride:

Edited by g94

awesome thanks for the info. I'm mostly brand new to bikes and certainly brand new to anything over 100-200 miles. I'm packing quite a bit more than your GL pack but i should expect to get decent mileage. the P/O rejetted the bike to who knows what and it runs rich. i figures an exhaust and airbox mod might lean it out but no joy. I've got a jet kit just a couple steps up from stock i'll hopefully get to installing tomorrow. Thanks for getting back to me and take care!

What is the small "fairing"?

What is the small "fairing"?

truly works

Cool trip. Pretty awesome on a 230f

What did you do for a seat? I got lost taking a "short cut" back to a trailhead and rode 60 or so miles over pavement on my 230F. For the final 20+ miles, it felt as if I was sitting on a railroad track's rail.

What did you do for a seat? I got lost taking a "short cut" back to a trailhead and rode 60 or so miles over pavement on my 230F. For the final 20+ miles, it felt as if I was sitting on a railroad track's rail.

This is a good question. I can handle only 1 hour and you rode for 12 hours straight on the return trip!

Seems impossible to me.

It wasn't bad. Never sit in the same position for too long. Stand up now and then.