2009 CRF 450R Water pump rebuild tutorial?

Hello guys...

i was checking the oil on my 2009 CRF 450R and found the oil on the tranny and engine was Milky..... so i think i have to rebuild the water pump... i was looking for a tutorial but only find one and it's from a older model ( not sure if they are exactly the same ). do you guys have any advice on this topic?... thanks 

Matimoto

Well the thing is, it's very hard for water pump water to get into the transmission oil. Your water pump weep hole would have to be blocked.

What he said. Your tranny having a grey color is metal from the clutch. Now if you remove your oil bolt and the first bit is clear(water) than you have a blown head gasket

I just read that your the guy that got his bike really muddy the other weekend. If the bike got pretty low in water than you might have sucked some up somewhere.. Flush it and see what happens. Try to keep the same thread going, you start jumping subject to subject and obv stuff gets missed

Helo guys thanks for your answers and sorry if i made a mistake with the post.

the last ride in muddy conditions was only mud ( not muuuch ) but not water crossings or anything like that. 

the engine never leak water by the weep hole ( maybe it's clogged ?)

what about the blown head gasket? can anyone explain bit more? what other simptoms my bike will have?

thank you guys for all your help.

Matimotof1

I would just change the transmission side oil, flush it out real good. Fill it up, and then see if it happens again.

When he said. Your TRANS oil grey is normal esp if your clutch basket is about beat. But water or anything but dark oil from you engine side is abnormal. If your weep hole is clogged the. It's from it getting smashed in most likely and you'll be able to look under the water pump and see it

Thank you Diggla117!

yesterday i was thinkin and remembering what i saw the past saturday ( unfortunely i can be with my bike only saturdays ) and found the oil cap on the clutch side was full of "milk" BUT the other side of the engine ( withe the oil filler cap ) was with much less milk, i mean that the engine oil was with milk but much less( "like a oil stain floating in water" ) than the clutch side. if that makes any sense.....

You need to drain and flush the engine and trans side a couple times.

With creek crossings etc, if the trans vent hose is below the water line and the engine is good and hot, when the engine hits the water is cools down, and that creates a vacuum in the trans, and the vent hose sucks in the water.

If the engine has milky oil in it, its probably got a blown head gasket, or its pulled oil and water in from the trans past the right side seal. Or both..

Start with flushing the engine and trans.

Thank you. I was thinking about the seal that is on the engine side of the water pump. I will replace both seals, bearing and shaft. On the blown head gasket I will look at it but the engine fired up without any problem, no smoke or anything like that. Thank you for your answer

Thank you. I was thinking about the seal that is on the engine side of the water pump. I will replace both seals, bearing and shaft. On the blown head gasket I will look at it but the engine fired up without any problem, no smoke or anything like that. Thank you for your answer

The thing issss if you have a bad water pump seal then water will go through that first seal and there's a chamber between that seal and the next and at the bottom of that chamber is your weep hole where any leaking fluid that collects in that chamber will leak out of and on the ground. You can run the bike for a few minutes in your shop or wherever and see it if it's bad SO that wouldn't effect your engine side oil what so ever. Like Shawn said try filling the bike, run for a few minutes, drain and repeat again. Then if that dosnt do it then your head gaskets going out. When the bikes completely cold remove the radiator cap and look for constant big bubbles. That's a dead give away. If the head gaskets gone and you have changed the piston in awhile then this is a good time to do so and upgrade the compression ratio...

Let us know what you find!

You don't need a tutorial just take it apart and put it back together the same way it came apart...

Haha I think he's being serious^

1) well the thing is that i remove the right crankcase cover.... drain all the oil ( engine and transmission )..... NO MILK!!!!! yes you are right i'm stupid..... i can swear that i saw and touch milk on the oil filler cap on the clutch and on the oil filler cap on the engine side so i decided to take apart the water pump but no milk in there... ok bulling time i will accept it... :banghead:  :banghead:  :banghead:

2) the hose ( from top end ) with the cap on it was with lots of water i will post a pic when i found out how... 

Well Everybody learns somehow..

Well that's wassup

Edited by Diggla117