Sign in to follow this  

Aftermarket Rims

Well took the new 14 rmz450 out for the second time and busted out a huge triple and and my front wheel decided it needed to become the shape of a octagon instead of round, ive never bent a rim so bad in the 14 years ive been racing. checked all the spokes after the first ride and reset the tire psi to 14 in both tires so i guess i just hit that hard where the stock rims couldn't take that much load. I'm looking at getting a replacement set of rims not a complete wheel set and I was wondering if anybody is running the DID dirt star STX rim, any help would be great

I run the DID STX rims and beat the living shit out of them....I can not believe how well these rims hold up. Get them.

• Like 1

Its fantastic.....tons of tire changes (as long as you are not crazy you wont hurt anything with the irons) and I ride 90% sand and am surprised the back is not sand blasted at all. Try to find a pic.

Its fantastic.....tons of tire changes (as long as you are not crazy you wont hurt anything with the irons) and I ride 90% sand and am surprised the back is not sand blasted at all. Try to find a pic.

Thanks for the info because I also ride sand and this was my main concern with going black, ive only got two rides on my bike and my flywheel cover and clutch cover look like they are two years old already....sad day in my shop, good thing I took a couple pictures when I first brought her home!

How come 90% us riders always going with black wheels excluding Bdubb and myself? It's always BLACK BLACK BLACK. Black is sick.no doubt though.

You know what they say, once you go black...

Take a look at SM Pro Platinum rims... i don't know who sells them in the US, but they're bullet proof and really cheap over here in Europe.

i used to lace A60 Rims with bigger spokes on my hubs, but those SM Pro Platinum rims are half the price of A60's and took the same beating without any harm...

Even if your OEM rims are Excels, they're not the same Excels you can buy as aftermarket rims. KTM Excels for example are made from a different/cheaper alloy as those normal excel rims. Maybe its the same for Suzuki and other OEM's...

• Like 1

Black looks good. When I was in 8th grade I put black rims on my mountain bike.....I never went back and that was 92. Black is the new white.....think about it......

I love the yellow rims, but they're pretty hard to find, black is easy to get hold of. About to buy some black rims with red hubs, unless I can find some yellow with red hubs

• Like 2

I love the yellow rims, but they're pretty hard to find, black is easy to get hold of. About to buy some black rims with red hubs, unless I can find some yellow with red hubs

black and yellow, black and yellow
  • Like 2

Ive wanted black wheels forever, always had the factory silver. Finally got me some black excels with bronze tcr hubs. Excited to get them fitted :thumbsup:

Take a look at SM Pro Platinum rims... i don't know who sells them in the US, but they're bullet proof and really cheap over here in Europe.

i used to lace A60 Rims with bigger spokes on my hubs, but those SM Pro Platinum rims are half the price of A60's and took the same beating without any harm...

Even if your OEM rims are Excels, they're not the same Excels you can buy as aftermarket rims. KTM Excels for example are made from a different/cheaper alloy as those normal excel rims. Maybe its the same for Suzuki and other OEM's...

Thanks for the info! My rear has a nice bend just before the rim lock. :banghead:

Ive wanted black wheels forever, always had the factory silver. Finally got me some black excels with bronze tcr hubs. Excited to get them fitted :thumbsup:

I'm right with yah on the silver, never had to buy an aftermarket wheel ever, so figured id go black because ive wanted a set since 98' on my old yz's

I do like the gold wheels but with all the blue and black in the graphics it wouldn't flow good at all, now if I would have kept the whole red and yellow theme going. No doubt I would go with the gold.

Plus the Dirt Star STX only comes in silver and black.