Whats the costs if you cant turn a wrench?

California

Lets just say I cant turn a wrench and would like to get my 01' CR250 dialed in here in So Cal.

I bought my bike around 6 months ago and took apart the carb cleaned it up, put some gas in her and went riding. I know she needs some real love so with out grindiing me into the dirt beacause im not as savy as some of you guys what needs to get done, who do I talk to to get it done and whats the rough estimate?. I also need to get the suspension dialed in for my build, 5'6" 145 lbs.

Piru.jpeg

Edited by Mrmmaphoto

What general area are you located?

What general area are you located?

Lakewood near Long beach.

If you don't want to do any of the wrenching yourself, Paul at ASRacing is a real good go-to guy.  He even does work on Yamaha's :jawdrop:  I had him do a valve job/cams and some other stuff on my WR.  They are out in Canyon Country (Santa Clarita), a bit of a drive but worth it.

http://asracinginc.com/

Thanks I will check it out.

Another option is getting a manual and doing it yourself. If you cleaned the carb, then you have the skills to do a top end (if needed) and chassis refresh. Just get a cheap compression gauge and check compression. 

As far as suspension, a lot of good guys out there. I highly recommend Nick at Provalve Racing. I use his services and know he does good work. He is a full service shop as well that does bike repair and race prep.

http://www.provalvemx.com/provalvemx.html

Weird my post got deleted or my dumb ass didn't hit send.

Dude do yourself a favor and learn to work on your own bike. Dirt bikes are simple and 2 strokes even more simplerer

Unless youre just loaded and don't know what to do with your money. I'd love to drop my bike off Monday roached out and pick it up Friday fresh as a virgin

Matt, to help him out though, who would you recommend to have work on his bike if you were to send your bike out?

I agree, 2-strokes are simple and easy to learn to maintain, but if he needs cylinder work or something he is not comfortable trying to learn on, who would you have do it?

Another option is getting a manual and doing it yourself. If you cleaned the carb, then you have the skills to do a top end (if needed) and chassis refresh. Just get a cheap compression gauge and check compression. 

I wouldnt mind trying to do it my self but the bike has been opened up before and i think the guy i bought it from said something about "bored it out" so what if it needs to be re-sleeved etc... I wouldnt know what to look for in the way of damage or even the right size piston etc... 

I also called a local shop and asked the machanic about getting a fresh topend done and they said if I did the topend and didnt rebuild the bike I would bend the crank or something because of to much power??? 

Anyone near me want to show me how to do a topend, :blush:  LOL, can I do it in one day if I had the right parts?   

Edited by Mrmmaphoto

With that kind of advice, stay clear from your local shop.

I wouldnt mind trying to do it my self but the bike has been opened up before and i think the guy i bought it from said something about "bored it out" so what if it needs to be re-sleeved etc... I wouldnt know what to look for in the way of damage or even the right size piston etc... 

I also called a local shop and asked the machanic about getting a fresh topend done and they said if I did the topend and didnt rebuild the bike I would bend the crank or something because of to much power??? 

Anyone near me want to show me how to do a topend, :blush:  LOL, can I do it in one day if I had the right parts?   

Yep, no problem. A few hours at most. You do want to have it checked to make sure the cylinder is in spec. Best way to do that is to bring it to a machine shop pay a few bucks to have it measured. I am pretty close to you and while my stuff doesn't look too good the junky bikes all run. BTW there are plenty good tutorials on Youtube. I would be more than glad to help you out.

For suspension AS Racing as mentioned before.

Thats what I thought....

Thats what I thought....

There is a message that the shop guy tried to convey: New top end can put more stress on a crank that is on it's way out. But it sounded more like a scare tactic. Has the bottom end been rebuilt recently? You can check for play when you have the top off, but often times that is not a sure indicator of crank life left.

Yep, no problem. A few hours at most. You do want to have it checked to make sure the cylinder is in spec. Best way to do that is to bring it to a machine shop pay a few bucks to have it measured. I am pretty close to you and while my stuff doesn't look too good the junky bikes all run. BTW there are plenty good tutorials on Youtube. I would be more than glad to help you out.

For suspension AS Racing as mentioned before.

My bike runs, just seems to be lacking on the power side, I need to check the compression cause she seems a little soft when I kick her over. I did check out Youtube and watched a few videos I am just concerned about the cylinder and the piston size.

There is a message that the shop guy tried to convey: New top end can put more stress on a crank that is on it's way out. But it sounded more like a scare tactic. Has the bottom end been rebuilt recently? You can check for play when you have the top off, but often times that is not a sure indicator of crank life left.

I dont believe the bottom end has ever been touched. So basically my best bet is to rip her apart have the cylinder measured to get the correct size piston, check the crank for play by? and replace the crank and connecting rod if needed.

Matt, to help him out though, who would you recommend to have work on his bike if you were to send your bike out?

I agree, 2-strokes are simple and easy to learn to maintain, but if he needs cylinder work or something he is not comfortable trying to learn on, who would you have do it?

Nobody. Have you seen shop rates?

Ok so suspension and engine machining I'd sub out everything else you'll go broke.

Crank won't bend, that total BS. When you have the top end off check big end rod play. The bearings are what fails..the main bearings and the lower rod bearings as well as the countershaft output bearing are the ones that fail.

Bending a crank?? Not gonna happen, a rod, maybe.

I can do all that work, a am a tech, but I am in Vista, kinda far from ya.

Edited by Speed-Freek

My bike runs, just seems to be lacking on the power side, I need to check the compression cause she seems a little soft when I kick her over. I did check out Youtube and watched a few videos I am just concerned about the cylinder and the piston size.

I dont believe the bottom end has ever been touched. So basically my best bet is to rip her apart have the cylinder measured to get the correct size piston, check the crank for play by? and replace the crank and connecting rod if needed.

Yeah, have the cylinder checked "bored" could mean a few things. Checking the clearance on the sides of the crank is easy with feelers. Also check the bearings for play. The only problem is that there is not a 100% fail proof method to ensure the crank will fail shortly after the rebuild. Cranks last a pretty long time in general so if you check everything out, you should be ok.

If you can remove the Cylinder and want it inspected (and re-sleeved if needed) just take it to Q&E here in Anaheim. They are the go to place locally here in Southern CA for machine work. I have been using them for over 20 years. Everything from watercraft, car motors, and motorcycles. 

http://qande.com/site/

No shit!

Crank won't bend, that total BS. When you have the top end off check big end rod play. The bearings are what fails..the main bearings and the lower rod bearings as well as the countershaft output bearing are the ones that fail.

Bending a crank?? Not gonna happen, a rod, maybe.

I can do all that work, a am a tech, but I am in Vista, kinda far from ya.

Not to mention that when those big bearings start to go bad you can hear it well before too much damage is done.

If you can remove the Cylinder and want it inspected (and re-sleeved if needed) just take it to Q&E here in Anaheim. They are the go to place locally here in Southern CA for machine work. I have been using them for over 20 years. Everything from watercraft, car motors, and motorcycles. 

http://qande.com/site/

No shit!

Not to mention that when those big bearings start to go bad you can hear it well before too much damage is done.

Yep QE, basically a stones throw from my office. That is who I use as well.

Edited by jfgjr