Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  

Another XR600 Rebuild

Recommended Posts

Firstly I would like to thank everyone who posts questions and answers on these forums, it has been of great help during my recent rebuild. This is the first time I have had a mechanical project and with the help of these forums and a service manual it all went well. I have a couple of mates that I met overseas that are interested in seeing the progress of my XR600 rebuild so I thought I would start a thread.

 

1993 XR600, 30,000klm, it was a bit rough but was good enough to get a roadworthy certificate with a new chain slider and bleeding the rear brakes.

001.JPG

Strip and taken back to bare metal.

003.JPG

After 2 coats of primer and 4 coats of matte black enamel it starts to get built up.

006.JPG

I have a small shed so I wanting to be able to put the bike in a shipping container out of the way while I rebuilt the engine. I gave everything a good clean and painted parts as I put them on and it was ready to go into the container.

009.JPG

I began pulling the engine down and found some scoring in the cylinder and piston.

014.JPG

Everything else looked in good shape.

015.JPG

I decided to order a new 98mm (1mm oversize) piston kit, full gasket kit, and seal kit for the rebuild.

018.JPG

I am not usually one to worry too much about how a bike looks but I was waiting for parts anyway so I decided to blast the engine and give it a coat of high temp primer and high temp paint.

017.JPG

After having the cylinder bored and honed and receiving the parts for the rebuild, I began to reassemble.

021.JPG

A new seat cover and a couple of stickers and it was ready to kick over.

024.JPG

I had some trouble and couldn't get it started. I started to troubleshoot and electrical was fine and I had spark. I was still getting nothing and readjusted the carby settings but I was doubtful it was fuel as it didn't even sound like it wanted to start. I checked the valve clearances again in case it was holding an exhaust valve open. When I was doing the right exhaust valve clearance I notice the position of the decompression arm. I had not had enough freeplay in the cable adjustment and it was holding the decompression lever on slightly. After readjusting it it started second kick. Just waiting on 15/45 sprockets and a new oring chain and it is ready to go. Next project is making some budget panniers and keeping and eye out for a long range fuel tank and then I'll be set.

 

001.JPG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Reply with:

Sign in to follow this  

×