Sign in to follow this  

yamaha wr200

i have a 1997 yamaha wr200. it runs but is a little rough around the edges, i am wondering wether parts like the chain, sprockets, brake pads, exhaust systems, gear lever, brake pedals, seat covers, clutch components, engine parts, ect... ect. i dont know the previous service history of the bike, would it be worth doing a full top and bottom ends and clutch rebuild? 

thanks.

Without knowing the previous history of the bike I'd suggest a new piston and see what else is needed. Sure if the bottom is not really tight any more a new crank would also be a good idea. If its worth it? That is for you to decide. I ran a 125 for 2 years it was a 1995 bike and it surely was worth it, for me, to maintain it, do frequent piston changes and such. Selling it with money to retake what I put in? Not possible IMO.

Edited by arnego2
  • Like 1

i am thinking that i will just pull it all apart and see what needs to be replaced. although i still need to know about the parts that i listed are they likely to be interchangeable? as i am finding it hard to find parts that are listed as 1997 as this bike was only exported to the US in 1992. 

Interchangable with what? Between a '92 and a '97? Almost assuredly. Yamaha rarely throws out something that works for many models, at least until all inventory has been used up. Then they will upgrade.

• Like 1

thank you. the things that i need right now, are an air filter, chain and sprockets, brake and gear levers, and brake pads. im sorry if im asking stupid questions, i just dont want to go off and buy heaps of parts that wont fit.

No, that's alright. I have a little idea how expensive things are down under!!! You can check out ebay, etc.. and get a first hand look at any parts you need to replace, to see if they look identical to the ones you have. I'm guessing they will all interchange.

• Like 1

All WR200 parts are interchangeable for chain/sprox, filter and gear lever (parts that you listed). All can be had aftermarket. None of these parts are the same as a current gen YZ. The parts might be interchangeable with early YZ/IT stuff, but I don't know it well enough. Sprockets will surely be interchangeable with multiple years and models of IT/YZ

• Like 1