Sign in to follow this  

Gopro Hero 3 Which Resolution For DVD

What's the best resolution to use for a gopro hero 3 if I'm going to be burning DVDs? I just picked one of these up for the first time, and i have no idea which resolution to use.

Edited by JAK1985

To watch on TV? Highest resolution possible...If I shoot at 1080X60fps it looks good on TV but 2k would look even better. The key to really good looking footage is post processing

Yes to watch on tv. I have the white version, resolutions 1080p 30, 960p 30, 720p 60, and 720p 30. So your saying the best to watch on tv is the 1080p 30? What is 2k?

Yes shoot at 1080 x 30...2k is a resolution only the Black models currently shoot at...keep in mind higher resolution = larger file size

There is no point at shooting 2k even of you do have it..... Unless you have a 2k TV.

If your TV has a USB and reads MP4, just copy off the gopro to a 32g (I picked up 6 at walmart for $12ea) or 64g USB stick.

I've got a older 42" LG which does NOT read MP4 so I bought a Sony Blue ray player for like $50 and hooked it up via HDMI. It reads most file formats and has a USB input in the front.

I'm assuming if your still trying to burn DVD's you don't have a 2K tv.

Edited by filterx

What's the best resolution to use for a gopro hero 3 if I'm going to be burning DVDs? I just picked one of these up for the first time, and i have no idea which resolution to use.

It depends if you want to shoot MPEG-1 (progressive)  or MPEG-2 (interlaced). For 60fps, MPEG-2 DVDs are 720 x 576, MPEG-1 is 352 x 288.

I believe the Go-Pro shoots progressive, but it will display as interlaced on many TVs.

Edited by Chokey

I have no idea what any of that means, just want to know what looks the best when burnt to a dvd

Just shoot the highest resolution that allows you to have the amount of recording time you need. Whatever program you use to rip to DVD (Windows Movie Maker for example) will convert it to the necessary format.

Keep in mind, DVD is not HD, so shooting in 1920 x 1080 is pointless if you're going to burn to DVD.

Edited by Chokey

Use the highest resolution mode: 1080p @ 30 fps. Even if you're going to record to a lower quality format it's nice to have the highest quality source. Given the price of storage media there's no reason not to. You'll run out of battery before running out of storage capacity. With a high quality source you can transcode (change the format) with standard editing software (iMovie, MoveMaker, etc) or Handbrake.

Edited by reco2011