First top end, identify bore type?

Hey guys,

I'm due for my first maintenance of my 2000 kx 250. I've decided to get a wiseco kit, either pro-lite or the racing style kit. From what I've gathered the options are pro-light or racer's choice.

Which of those has greater longevity and probably has less wear on the engine? I'm guessing that the racer's choice kit gives more power at the expense of having to exchange them more quickly. What I'm looking for is the most reliable piston. Advice?

Also, I have no idea what the bore of my engine is. I know that it can be measured directly. Any advice on telling between a sleeve and a plating? I have calipers to measure it out. I don't want to end up buying the wrong size piston.

Do not order any piston before you check the bore for sure..The easiest method of checking for a sleeve...will be to use a magnet and if it sticks to the cylinder wall its sleeved. Do not get caught up in alot of piston hype(orderng the correct fit is way more important)...The oem cast pistons are very good choices...Prox branded is a good alternative to oem.

Do not order any piston before you check the bore for sure..The easiest method of checking for a sleeve...will be to use a magnet and if it sticks to the cylinder wall its sleeved. Do not get caught up in alot of piston hype(orderng the correct fit is way more important)...The oem cast pistons are very good choices...Prox branded is a good alternative to oem.

I'm more than happy with an oem piston. The issue is I'm not too sure exactly which rings and gaskets to get with it. Is there an OEM topend kit or list that makes it easier?

you can go over to partzilla and buy everything you need oem...or you can buy the Pro-x top end kit and a set of oem gaskets.

Look on google.com for images of plated and sleeved cylinders.

Nickel is magnetic, so I don't see how in the hell the old magnet trick is supposed to work.

Calipers are the wrong tool unless it is an inside cailper.

Go with the dual ring piston for longevity.

I thought Kawasaki used molybdenum for the electrofusion plating.

you can go over to partzilla and buy everything you need oem...or you can buy the Pro-x top end kit and a set of oem gaskets.

I looked for '00 kx250 and it said "obsolete" for several items including the piston. I would really appreciate if someone took a screenshot of what to order on a page.

Any recommendations on cheap tools to measure bore diameter inside the cylinder?

Any recommendations on cheap tools to measure bore diameter inside the cylinder?

Define cheap, lol things start getting silly when you start talking about ID/inside micrometers and bore gauges.

I think the way to go would be to get a good micrometer in a price range you can afford and then buy telescoping gauge set, then you get to learn how to use them, maybe check YouTube for some info.

Or this might fit your budget:

http://www.amazon.com/Fowler-52-646-400-Extender-Measuring-Graduation/dp/B000XQ2T1E/ref=pd_sim_sbs_indust_1?ie=UTF8&refRID=1RG1V9RT0N1X7KHGTNWM