Need pointers for a new to RV rider

Just picked up a toy hauler, primarily for overnighting at the races (vchss), but I'd like to use it to go camping on occasion. It will hold the kayaks, mountain bikes and many other toys for other fun trips.

Here is what I could use some guidance on from those of you doing this regularly..

1) Top 5 tools I should have on board for handling RV emergencies?

2) Sometimes dry camping for a race puts you on some pretty strange terrain, how to you level your rv in those cases? What sort of ramps, jacks, etc do you carry for those more precarious sites?

3) Favorite RV wash?

4) Favorite RV cover? it will be under trees when in "storage" so I would like to protect it from bug/bird crap and sap.

5) Places to ride on the East coast with camping, the closer to VA the better.

It's a Keystone Raptor, can I just screw more strips to the garage floor for tie downs? The previous owner had a Harley so it's really set up to town just one large bike. I need to get 2 bikes and a quad on occasion so I'll need more flexibility with tie down locations.

Any other tips based on your experience would be greatly appreciated. THANKS!

Just picked up a toy hauler, primarily for overnighting at the races (vchss), but I'd like to use it to go camping on occasion. It will hold the kayaks, mountain bikes and many other toys for other fun trips.

Here is what I could use some guidance on from those of you doing this regularly..

2) Sometimes dry camping for a race puts you on some pretty strange terrain, how to you level your rv in those cases? What sort of ramps, jacks, etc do you carry for those more precarious sites?

3) Favorite RV wash?

4) Favorite RV cover? it will be under trees when in "storage" so I would like to protect it from bug/bird crap and sap.

It's a Keystone Raptor, can I just screw more strips to the garage floor for tie downs? The previous owner had a Harley so it's really set up to town just one large bike. I need to get 2 bikes and a quad on occasion so I'll need more flexibility with tie down locations.

1. Basic tools to remove a tire, channel locks, screwdrivers, electrical and duct tape, and safety wire.

2. I bring a variety of 2x6 and 4x6 blocks to get level, as well as 1x4 strips for fine adjustment of that level. I also bring a shovel. comes in handy when the "spot" is less than desirable.

3. the local high school does a car wash every couple weekends through the summer months, the look on the girls' faces when I drag a 33' 5th wheel out is priceless. I pay well.

4. any brand of cover will protect for debris and UV. take care to make sure the trailer stays DRY under the cover.

5. I am of no help here.

2) We used to use 2x4 and 4x4 pieces for leveling until a wheel slipped one day and we nearly lost the whole trailer in a lake. That was exciting. We use Lynx Leveler blocks now, wider and more secure. Amazon or Walmart.

1. Basic tools to remove a tire, channel locks, screwdrivers, electrical and duct tape, and safety wire.

2. I bring a variety of 2x6 and 4x6 blocks to get level, as well as 1x4 strips for fine adjustment of that level. I also bring a shovel. comes in handy when the "spot" is less than desirable.

Good info ^^ I would also add a volt meter to the list (plus all my M/c tools), I use the same 2x6 and 4x6 blocks plus a shovel for leveling.

I use auto car wash soap that I use on my truck from walmart. Unless were on the road, I use truck washes(for tractor/trailers). Im 64ft long combined so I need lots of room if washing away from home.

I know lots of places east coast wise for camping and mx... But I assume(vchss) your a woods guy ? I don't know of many offroad riding places, yet... I enjoy both.

As far as tips...

Have fun with it.

Learn everything you can about your hauler and its systems and how they work. Water heater, water pumps, tanks, genset,etc

Check your trailer tires often

Watch your height !

We use ours for racing and even practice days to the tracks that are just a bit further than I feel like driving to and back in one day. We also have stayed in a few campgrounds.

Congrats BTW!

• Like 1

I use a couple sets of these to level. Don't use them under your tongue, use solid wood. I use 2 4x6x12 and a 2x6x12.

http://www.campingworld.com/shopping/item/rv-leveling-blocks-set-of-10/24733

If you don't have an electric tongue jack, you really need to think about getting one.

One of these is handy too.

http://www.delcity.net/store/Automotive-Circuit-Tester-12-Volt-DC/p_802185.h_802186.t_1.r_IF1003?mkwid=OaXOfMnt&crid=38094426869&gclid=Cj0KEQjwr-KeBRCMh92Ax9rNgJ8BEiQA1OVm-DV4OXsN0HSAQWMkylth1f_0G8YViI4H8FbhrUwr2DsaAsrg8P8HAQ

One of these to hook up at home.

http://www.campingworld.com/shopping/item/30-amp-rv-female-to-15-amp-male-adapter/69604

Something I did to mine was cut the power cord short enough to just reach the plug when you are using the generator and added a mail plug to the stubby. I added a new male to the long cord. Now that compartment is uncluttered and the cord goes in a big compartment.

I also use a cordless drill to lower my stabilizing jacks and then tighten with the crank. I use 4x4 blocks under the stabilizers. 

If your trailer doesn't have a turd blaster, get one. Saves tons of time and really cleans your tank

http://www.rvplus.com/camco-mfg-tornado-rotary-tank-rinser-with-40126.html?CAWELAID=600008500000051290&CAGPSPN=pla&catargetid=600008500000203706&cadevice=c&gclid=Cj0KEQjwr-KeBRCMh92Ax9rNgJ8BEiQA1OVm-JWR0Gy8X3MjtifMtdQH_h86kiht84hJp8B8j9JommMaAiM08P8HAQ

You can make or buy some ramp cables that will allow you to use your ramp as a deck. Some people use jack stands. 

I like to put these under the steps if I am camped for more than a couple days. Makes the steps a lot stiffer

http://www.campingworld.com/shopping/item/aluminum-stack-jacks-set-of-4/4205

As far as tools go what you have in your riding tool box should be plenty. Aside from the wheels most everything else is screwed together. 

If you can find one, get a high pressure tire gauge and use it religiously. Low pressure equals heat which is a blow out. I had one blow out that cost me $250 in replacement fender and trim.

Good luck and have fun.

Edited by SMarquez

• 2 weeks later...

3) Favorite RV wash?

As far as #5 is concerned There is the Hatfield McCoy trail system in West Virginia depending on where you are talking 

about in Virginia it could be close,it is very extensive and there are plenty of camping sights etc.I believe since they just

opened a new trail there is around 750 miles of trails.You can access it off of I-64.out of Charleston WV and several other

points as well. 

in addition to the "turd blaster", these are essential to getting grey/black tanks thoroughly clean.

http://www.campingworld.com/shopping/item/flush-king/20522

Just don't let your wife or girlfriend watch you dump while they are drinking Starbucks. Bad things happen.

I gave that up. I don't see how that cleans a black tank and it was totally disgusting. I have no problem getting my tank perfectly clean with a turd blaster in the tank.

Ha, we did the same thing  ?   Throw the kayaks in the back and use for camping but we didn't get out this year though.

• Take a look at your fuse panel and make sure you have spares.
  • I empty my tanks at home using one of these with a clear adapter attached to it so you can see the flow.

• Make sure you empty the hot water tank if not using for some time.  I replaced my wrench plug with with one of these:

• For Winterizing, I added this to avoid the Hot Water heater:

• Awesome Orange at Dollar General to get any black streaks off.
>>It's a Keystone Raptor, can I just screw more strips to the garage floor for tie downs?

You can get some e-track strips and compatible tie offs/loops and chocks.  Then you can reposition tie offs along the track whenever you need to.

Good luck!

• Make sure you empty the hot water tank if not using for some time.  I replaced my wrench plug with with one of these:

http://www.campingworld.com/shopping/item/brass-water-heater-drain-valve-1-2-/6315

If your hot water tank plug also carried the anode rod, you may be doing yourself a disservice and promoting early failure of the tank due to rust.

Standard tools should cover, compressor if don't have already. Torx screwdrivers.

We used Lynx Levelers, stack, light and strong http://www.etrailer.com/Wheel-Chocks/Lynx-Levelers/77433.html?feed=npn&gclid=CN_air2El8ACFSdp7AodPzIAZg

3) Favorite RV wash?

Blue Beacon, drive through and they do the truck too

never used a cover was more worried about trapping moisture in with a cover

As said, Hatfield McCoy, Also Duhramtown Plantation in GA, Carolina Adventure Park, Four Seasons in Western PA,

eTrack