Sign in to follow this  

IMS 3.2 clearance issues.

I put aftermarket radiators on my 08 X 2 years back. Yesterday I went to install a new IMS 3.2 tank, and the left side hits the radiator tube at the top. Not by a little bit either, the tank sits about 1/2 inch too high on the left side. Has anyone else had this issue with either stock or aftermarket radiators and an IMS tank?

I don't want to risk ruining the tank by trying to heat and bend it. Maybe I'll have to move the radiator tube? Or maybe get a radiator lowering kit? What say you?

C360_2014-07-28-11-02-52_zpsf2eabc0f.jpg

You de-form the tank using water at 150-170 degrees, inside the tank.

You put something over the objects in the way, something that will leave clearance when removed, and then set the tank on top and pour in the hot water, and push down.

You will need someone to help you push down.

Or, you can do it from the bottom, using a heat gun, if you can get the heat below 180; you will have to test this first.

I think I would go back to stock radiators. just having not to look at those abysmal welds would be incentive enough, were they fabricated in someones backyard?  the chances of failure seems high as well. stock radiators, mohard braces and a trail-tech fan and you are bombproof.

I'd have to buy some stockers, since these were bought because one of my originals was crushed. The welds may not look perfect on these, (I'm a welder, I know), but the rads work *really* well in the AZ heat. They've been on for over a year without any issues. Would be easier, and less risky, for me to modify the radiator. If I botch the tank doing a mod, I'm screwed. If I botch the rads doing a mod, I can easily fix it. I was just curious to see if anyone else had this issue when they went to an oversized tank.

Edited by yellowdatsun
  • Like 1

That's weird. I have the IMS 3.2 with aftermarket oversized radiators and I don't have any clearance issues. It's very close but it clears.

I'm much happier about getting one now!!

That's weird. I have the IMS 3.2 with aftermarket oversized radiators and I don't have any clearance issues. It's very close but it clears.

Same here.

Pulled the left radiator off today. I knew it was bent from a crash, but it was paralellogramed pretty good. A mallet, some 2x4 scraps, and a punch, were able to straighten things out rather well. Doesn't explain the tank not fitting, but at least it's straight now.

I cut off the upper hose connection, and will weld the hole shut. Then I'll make a new hole about 2 inches to the right, and weld on the old tube. Should be good after that.

Edited by yellowdatsun
  • Like 1

I ended up moving the top hose connection over about 1.2 inches, and filled in the original hole. The outlet is about as close as you can get it to the frame, without causing interference issues. The welds aren't my best work, but they're not horrible either. I think it will work fine.

I ended up moving the top hose connection over about 1.2 inches, and filled in the original hole. The outlet is about as close as you can get it to the frame, without causing interference issues. The welds aren't my best work, but they're not horrible either. I think it will work fine.

is there a possibility you could post a couple images?

is there a possibility you could post a couple images?

Just curious if guards would've helped and if aftermarket radiators can accept them (Works Connection etc.)?

RZ Rob

Just curious if guards would've helped and if aftermarket radiators can accept them (Works Connection etc.)?

RZ Rob

I have Oversized Radiators and My B&B Guards fit them fantastically! This is just a generic photo off the internet showing the guards but they leave plenty of room for my rads and don't rub anywhere. ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1407473432.353180.jpg

Big difference. I don't think I could have planned that any better. Very happy with the results.

C360_2014-08-09-07-28-20_zpsbb0bb22c.jpg

C360_2014-08-09-07-28-41_zps41bbe3ea.jpg

C360_2014-08-09-07-29-48_zps3d9bf8da.jpg

Edited by yellowdatsun
  • Like 2

Bugger!! I have braces and aftermarket rads was thinking of getting an IMS 3.2 guess not

FYI,  I have a 2012 x with MSR radiator guards and a 3.2 IMS tank and it all fits no problems.  The tank shrouds get pushed out wider and you need a few longer bolts for the shrouds.  You lose that sleekness the 2012s,13, 14s have.  

FYI, I have a 2012 x with MSR radiator guards and a 3.2 IMS tank and it all fits no problems. The tank shrouds get pushed out wider and you need a few longer bolts for the shrouds. You lose that sleekness the 2012s,13, 14s have.

That's good then. I don't like my 30-50 mile range with the stock tank A CRF-X sleek? Well not my 08..