Sign in to follow this  

Intro and Thinking of picking up a vintage Dirtbike

Hello everyone!  I'm back.  Different screen name and it's been quite a few years but here I am.  I believe my screen name from before was Skydmark1.  I had many posts logged on the site during a rebuild of my Suzuki DRZ400 engine.  For some reason or other I lost my account info and haven't frequented the forums here in years.  But I digress......

I'm a fairly new owner of a Suzuki GS850G motorcycle that I'm working on, but I am considering picking up a vintage dirt bike.  To be specific there's an ad for a 1978 Suzuki PE175 for $125.  It was the guy's tear down and rebuild project but he lost interest.  The motor is out of the bike but complete.  I'm awaiting more information from the seller, then I might be driving an hour to go pick it up.

Anyone have suggestions on some websites or parts of this site where I might find info on these old bikes?  Any opinions about it?

The PE 175 is a fun tight trail bike. Basically a 125 with more cc's and tuned down so actually has a little bottom-midrange compared to small bikes of that era. Just make sure motor parts do not run bill too high. If you do all work yourself and can keep costs down it will be a load of fun up in the trees and trails

Ya, was planning to do all the work myself.  Just heard back from the guy and it got sold from under me......grrrr.  Was pretty stoked about it.  oh well, the search continues!

You might like the KXD200/220, more of a grunt than a tight single track bike but wider parts availability and you can upgrade suspension parts with pieces from a KX of the same era. Also these are tall stock, a lowering link will make it suitable for less than 6'5" riders (a bit facetious but not much).

Personally, I like the big bore singles, XT/TT 400-600, XR/XL600, SP/DR600,  KLR650 preferably dual sports with titles. Really hard to find unmolested dual sports, but I'm ok with having aftermarket turn signals because some red neck thought he was making the bike 50% lighter by removing a 1lb headlight and 2 lbs worth of turn signals and brake light components, then losing them.

I also had good luck with the KE100, from 1982-1995, it's the same with points igntion. In 1996, it went CDI and was discontinued after 2001. It is a bit like riding a motorized bicycle.

Edited by Smacaroni