Sign in to follow this  

Top speed

Had my Drz400sm up to 140kmh (87 mph) passing on the highway. Just for a few short durations. I have to admit there was a lot of buzz/vibration. Should I consider this to be too hard on the bike?

Clarify "few short durations" for a better answer. If it was for less than a min to pass a car, its fine, if it was over an hour to pass lots of cars, its probably not a good idea.

• Like 6

ok look: to answer your question because eveyone is going to tell you different, i'm a mechanic, and the simple answer is the more you spin your engine the more wear you are going to get. That bike was technically never meant to go over 55. thats why when you ride right around 55 mph with normal gearing it feels great. feels even better if you have lowered your rear sprocket teeth. 

regardless, its totally fine to pass people or mess around with your buddies and pass them at 80-90 mph for short periods. but i'm telling you from experience that if you ride up here all the time you are going to have issues sooner and more frequent than people that dont.

happy trails

• Like 3

Just a few times to pass. Maybe 30 or 40s each. I will avoid this in the future. Thanks for the input.

Its a Dirt bike. Thrash it as you see fit. .......oh just keep up the maintenance.

5th pinned!

DRZ is Capable of those speeds, but as people stated, avoid long durations of high speed traveling. I' ve pinned my DRZ @ 98mph indicated on my speedo (stock which apparently is crap) with more to go on my throttle about another 1/6th throttle left before capped but wont be doing that ever again since i heard a pop that didn't sound healthy, but still runs perfectly so im just taking it as a "slow down, no more" indication :) But yeh, your DRZ should be fine and the DRZ is a bike that shakes ALLOT and vibrates ALLOT due to its single cylinder.

P.S. i have a 2005 DRZ400E in supermoto Trim, not sure on gearing

I just reached my destination 100 miles even from home. The first 77 were highway . I never totally top ended it but I did make a few good runs . Stage 2 hot cams and the New MRD Z Pro were giving me the power where I expected it. . It pulled strong from. 5k . I never actually hit the limiter in fifth but it was still pulling . I hit an indicated 100 mph by stock speedo on a few occasions . Rpms where 9500 with 15/42 gearing . The only problem was that I cooked the MRD sticker on my endcap . Keeping RPMS at 7000 and above for an hour never brought my engine temp. Above 150 degrees . I monitored it the whole time . Here's a pic of the cooked sticker after I took it off .

image.jpg

So I was enjoying my twisties when I came to a pickup truck running about 40k below the speed limit. As it was single lane I had to settle in behind for quite a while. I did move up on his rear a few time just for a few seconds to see if he would be kind enough to let me by. The first straight section with a dotted line I passed in the on-coming lane. The jerk sped up and matched my speed all the way. He would not let me in and then a car came in the oncoming lane. I had a choice to lock my brakes to try and get in behind or boot it to get in front. I just made it in in front and glanced at my speedo. I just hit 140kmh.

I reason why I brought this is I noticed ny bike running a little rough after and a little hesitation off at lower Rpm. However I think this is coincidence. I think the packing in the exhaust had broken down a little with time and a combination of some questionable gas effecting the carb jets. I hope I can get it straighten out.

Edited by JGA