Sign in to follow this  

Dented and Chipped my SM Supermotard Rim

Being a Hooligan I decided to take a shortcut one day and I hit something pretty hard (43 mph) off-roading last week. I ended up with a chipped and dented hoop on my rear wheel :banghead:  :(  :facepalm:  . It's not loosing any air or anything. Since the incident I've taken my bike off jumps, through dirt, canyons carving, and over 100+ freeway miles. Bike and tire seems to be fine even after all of that so I'm going to assume its fine and safe, no air loss. Is this something that can be fixed? Welded up and have the dent popped out? I'f so how much do you think it would cost roughly..if someone has had a similar issue.

Being a Hooligan I decided to take a shortcut one day and I hit something pretty hard (43 mph) off-roading last week. I ended up with a chipped and dented hoop on my rear wheel :banghead:  :(  :facepalm:  . It's not loosing any air or anything. Since the incident I've taken my bike off jumps, through dirt, canyons carving, and over 100+ freeway miles. Bike and tire seems to be fine even after all of that so I'm going to assume its fine and safe, no air loss. Is this something that can be fixed? Welded up and have the dent popped out? I'f so how much do you think it would cost roughly..if someone has had a similar issue.

if it was a dent, i'd say ride it, but it's not a dent. aluminum doesn't like being broken, and the cracks tend to spread quickly instead of slowly like with steel.

replace the rim, use the old spokes and hub now, or wait, and when the spokes start breaking one at a time the rest will wallow out the hub and make it useless too. 

• Like 1

if it was a dent, i'd say ride it, but it's not a dent. aluminum doesn't like being broken, and the cracks tend to spread quickly instead of slowly like with steel.

replace the rim, use the old spokes and hub now, or wait, and when the spokes start breaking one at a time the rest will wallow out the hub and make it useless too. 

I don't have the money for another rim. Would it be fixable?

Does it look cracked? Doesn't from the pictures but hard to tell. It's possible cracks could develop later also. I would just keep an eye on it. Those rims aren't cheap!

Does it look cracked? Doesn't from the pictures but hard to tell. It's possible cracks could develop later also. I would just keep an eye on it. Those rims aren't cheap!

Its not cracked. Just has a chunk missing from it.

Personally I'd get it fixed. Any wheel repair shop worth it's weight can weld it up and machine it back to spec. I'd probably get it NDT'd first too to ensure there's no cracks

• Like 1

It's a bike tire, you only have two and depend heavily on them both.

Get it fixed or it may end up costing you in skin and bone.

• Like 1

I would fix it, just buy a hoop and relace your spokes and hub to the hoop ;)

http://www.motostrano.com/Excel-Takasago-Supermoto-Rim-p/56-5051.htm

Yeah that's a little out of budget. You think fixing it would be cheaper or around the same. I do ride my bike everyday as its my only set of wheels and the rim seems fine. I check it everyday.

Yeah that's a little out of budget. You think fixing it would be cheaper or around the same. I do ride my bike everyday as its my only set of wheels and the rim seems fine. I check it everyday.

Damn, I just sold the other set of DRZ SM wheels like 3 weeks ago for cheap :( 

I think you need to buy a set of those KTM tubeless supermoto wheels. The rear is bolt on. The front, being a 26mm, takes some kajiggering with axle bushing spacers (there are dimensions somewhere here on TT), a rotor adapter, and if you want a speedo, an aftermarket one.

I would fix it, just buy a hoop and relace your spokes and hub to the hoop ;)

http://www.motostrano.com/Excel-Takasago-Supermoto-Rim-p/56-5051.htm

Now looking into just buying the hooping and calling it a day. From that page, which selection would it be? What size?

Edit: I took my lazy ass outside. Counted 36 spokes. Saw the stamp saying its a 17 4.50. For someone reason I'm having hard times finding that size. Closest i see its 17 4.25

Edited by BugJuice

Now looking into just buying the hooping and calling it a day. From that page, which selection would it be? What size?

Edit: I took my lazy ass outside. Counted 36 spokes. Saw the stamp saying its a 17 4.50. For someone reason I'm having hard times finding that size. Closest i see its 17 4.25

Go to Excel, Warp 9, Behr and they do have them ;)

Go to Excel, Warp 9, Behr and they do have them ;)

I'd preferably like a Excel hoop so it matches the front wheelset. Money is right so I'm not about to buy 2 brand new hoops :cry:  For some reason no matter where I look I cant seem to find a 17 / 4.50. Only a 4.25 or a 5