Sign in to follow this  

Fuel injected bikes can't adjust altitude?

Hi I have been told that fuel injected bikes have a hard time adjusting for altitude and that they will stall out. I know for a fact that a computer should be able to adjust as quickly as your gaining altitude. So do they have trouble gaining altitude or have I been told wrong?

I've heard that some of the bike's efi only setup when you start the bike so if you were starting at the base of a mountain and climbed in altitude continuously then the fuel air mixture wouldn't change automatically like it does in a car. You'd have to stop and restart the bike to get the proper ratio again. That is probably what the person was referring to but it's still a lot better than a carb.

That's kind of the advantage to fuel injection... computer figures out how much fuel is needed based on inputs from temperature and barometric pressure.

On a closed-looped system yes, not on a open-loop systems....

No exhaust sensors come on most FI bikes....

Edited by Monk
  • Like 2

Exhaust sensors don't matter. The MAP sensor will automatically correct for any changes in altitude. Some bikes only sample the barometric pressure on start up, others can do it continuously.

Now, that doesn't mean the bike will run "good" at high altitude. You will still loose power as you climb, because there is physically less air. But you won't have to remap.

• Like 2

On a closed-looped system yes, not on a open-loop systems....

No exhaust sensors come on most FI bikes....

AFR or O2 for full "closed-loop", yes.   But with atmos/baro pressure and temperature, the ECU can calculate how much fuel to dump in.

Snowmobiles have had this for many years.

• Like 1