Left legged kick starting?

Is this possible with a modern right side kick start? My right knee is giving me all sorts of trouble (patella dislocating repeatedly) and the yz250 is a bear to kick over sometimes, which just makes the problem worse...

I could see balance being an issue, but is there something obvious that I'm missing? I'd hate to HAVE to switch to 4-stroke bikes and electric starts, especially after going through the whole engine on my yz not even 10 riding hours ago. Would really hate to have to switch to quads if I do blow my knee totally out trying to kick start with my right leg.

Isn't KTM the only brand that does the E-start 2 strokes? I have yet to meet a KTM that I'd like to own. The whole bike just feels kinda "off" to me when I hop on one of them.

Agreed, worst feeling bikes on the planet in my opinion.  And that goes for Husky/Husaberg which are  KTM also. The Beta, Sherco and Gas Gas are alternatives but also have severe drawbacks.

Left kicking a "right side" bike isn't difficult, although odd feeling at first. I have short legs...many times if I stop, stall, or crash, the ground on the left side makes it difficult or impossible to normally start the bike. I just got comfortable standing on the right/uphill side of the bike to kick with my left leg.

I've started my CR500 many times with the left foot. Usually occurs when I'm on really steep terrain where I can't put my left foot down to hold the bike up, or other tight spots. The hard part for me is giving the throttle the necessary twist with my left hand in time with the kick. You'll see what I mean.

I kicked an XR400 for over a year with my left leg when I tore my right ACL. I even did it in dead engine start hare scrambles and still wasn't the last one off the line. You will get used to it. Good luck.

• 2 weeks later...

Gave it go with the xr100 yesterday. It wasn't wanting to start, of course haha. But eventually I got it going using the left leg. Gonna do a few more trial runs with the xr, then step up the yz250 when I have the throttle twist and kick timing thing down.

Btw, it felt fantastic to be on a bike again after a few weeks off due to knee problems! Kicking left legged will take a lot of stress off of my bad knee ?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

All my old KTMs were left side kick. The tougher ones to kick I would stand to the side and kick with right leg. Should be just fine.

If you stall it while riding just bump start it so u don't have to get off.

We had an 85 ktm 350 that was a left side kick. The kick starter was like three inches long...pain in the #%^ to start

Edited by AzMatt